Workshop heater - recommendations

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:24 pm

MikeyBikey wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:24 pm
Can anyone recommend a simple garage/workshop heater . I need something i can start, be in the garage for a couple of hours and turn off.
Given Mike's original requirements, I think it's more or less got to be a fan heater, and electric avoids the damp problem

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

gordonmc
RSSOC Member

Post by gordonmc » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:14 pm

I use a 4Kw Eberspacher deisel powered blown air heater.
It was originally from a GPO van and went into my boat for a couple of years before I upgraded. It runs of a 12v battery and a can of fuel. The exhaust goes through a hole in the wall, so dry heat.
They are available as kits from new but also turn up second-hand on ebay. Always a risk, but...
Also look for Webasto, Mikuni, Planar.
All the same sort of heater. Planar are probably the cheapest to buy new. Made in Russia.

tony.idle
RSSOC Member

Post by tony.idle » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:29 pm

If it's for a couple of hours there's little point in trying to heat the air. An electric radiant heater would be the best fit.

Regards

Tony

Embrace your feminine side - RTFM

RSSOC 2332 since 1981
Past: 2x5A, GTC. Current: SST, Smart, Hymer Motorhome, Rialto, Robin, Bug, MZ Skorpion x2.

1969SE5
RSSOC Member

Post by 1969SE5 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Primark do some cheap jumpers ?

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:54 pm

MikeyBikey wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:24 pm
Can anyone recommend a simple garage/workshop heater . I need something i can start, be in the garage for a couple of hours and turn off.

I rent the garage so cant really put in a flue or have anything too expensive (its his electricity)

I now have a dehumidifier going all the time and it is great, really helps take the damp chill away but a bit of cost effective heat would help a lot.
Not quite sure I understand this specification - you want something to heat *yourself* or the car ? And you can't use too much of *his* electricity, yet you have a dehumidifier running all the time...

I'm not sure what blasting a load of heat in for just a couple of hours is going to achieve, because by the time the place warms up you'll be packing up to go. Equally, if you can leave a dehumidifier running all the time, then why not a heater?

I use a couple of fairly massive oil-filled radiators I got free from Freecycle. One's about 3 foot long, at the end of the garage, the other about 5 feet, along the front/sdie near the engine bay. They are set quite low, so they're only just warm to the touch, but they run 24/7 so the garage never gets *really* cold, and neither does the car. Not central heating, but close! As for keeping yourself warm, just stick on an extra pair of socks and maybe an extra jumper. Everyone's different, of course, but I find if my feet are warm the rest of me is fine. If my feet are cold, I just *cannot* settle to do any work at all.

As for running costs, this is now the third winter with this set up, and I cannot say I've noticed any 'spike' in my energy bills. Presumably you have some arrangement with your landlord whereby your rent covers the cost of the dehumidifier, so why not explore if over the winter months you can pay, say, an extra £5 per week for heaters to run all the time. Extra heating really does not cost that much, when you look at all the other costs of running a classic. Electricity is around 15p/kWh and a 200W panel heater running all the time uses 4.8 kWh/day. So you are looking at well under £1 per day to run a low level heater all the time, and no need to worry about those snap freezes and is there enough anti-freeze in the car. You can cut cost even more by putting it on a timer so it just runs during the colder hours, say from 4pm through till 10am.

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:37 pm

thanks all. tbh i probably just need to man up. i wear t-shirts all year round supplemented by overalls as and when. lately the building itself just appears to be bloody cold. its a standalone building so even after 2 hours it still feels cold. just want to see if there was a simple option.

the dehumidifier stops when its fulls which is every day. about 3-4 litres.

Is we sideways yet...

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Post by BigBobPilot » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:58 pm

Long johns, decent gloves and socks, wooly hat. Do jobs that need a bit of effort to create some heat. Regular cups of tea. Take some jobs in doors.
Last edited by BigBobPilot on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car in build
Latest owner of V6 coupe SRE 353G
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:06 pm

Aldi or Lidl did a great pair of "arctic" overalls a few years ago. They are shower proof, padded, plastic (non-paint-scratching) zip, etc., about£19.99.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:34 pm

wooly hat and socks - extremities are the most important. We had coveralls called "dewliners" in the arctic, fur lined, quilted with a hood that you could put on/take off without taking off your (gortex) boots. The best bit was draping a parachute over the helicopter blades, weighing down the edges and putting the hose from a gemini diesel heater underneath - you could work in a t-shirt when it was -25 (without windchill) outside.

I have no chance of heating my workshop, so on the coldest days I fire up a fan heater aimed in the general direction that I'm working.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

tony.idle
RSSOC Member

Post by tony.idle » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:55 pm

Regards

Tony

Embrace your feminine side - RTFM

RSSOC 2332 since 1981
Past: 2x5A, GTC. Current: SST, Smart, Hymer Motorhome, Rialto, Robin, Bug, MZ Skorpion x2.

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Post by BigBobPilot » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:58 pm

Or hibernate and wait for Spring and don't compete in the first few events of the year. Something I've done more than once.

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car in build
Latest owner of V6 coupe SRE 353G
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:32 am

MikeyBikey wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:37 pm
the dehumidifier stops when its fulls which is every day. about 3-4 litres.
How much??? :shock: Having some experience in this area, but without knowing the building in question, I suggest that heating is not your issue - your building has a very serious damp problem. Either a water pipe or a drain in close proximity is broken/leaking, or some guttering has fallen down, or a roof panel is cracked, or there's a stream nearby, possibly underneath very close to the surface... but somewhere very close to your car, there is FAR too much water getting in than is good for your car, and I seriously suggest you'd be better keeping the car outdoors where at least air can circulate than in a seriously damp garage where it will get mould and corrosion. Check your headlining for mould, and your upholstery, seats can absorb seemingly infinite amounts of moisture.

Given that you seem to be in 'sunny Falmouth' I think I'd look for a leaking water pipe or blocked drain first, ie water coming up rather than down.

If a standalone building, check around the outside that mud, leaves, debris over the years hasn't blocked any drains, bridged the base/wall join at ground level etc. I'd also double check the electrics in the garage, to be sure they are dry and not posing any sort of shock hazard - getting that much water out of the air is shock enough itself !

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

scimmy ben
RSSOC Member

Post by scimmy ben » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:24 am

I've been looking at through the wall 4 in 1 units. I can sell it to the wife in that in summer we can use to cool the house, in winter I can run for a couple of hours a day to keep things from freezing and the damp down.

I am hoping to find one with wifi control so I can warm the garage remotely before venturing out there :).

I'm looking at heat pump ones to keep running costs lower.

DarrylWebb

Post by DarrylWebb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:50 pm

A timely thread. Usually I'd wrap up and would start with jobs that warm me up.
Reading this thread last week, I thought I'd spring for an IR heater to take the chill off when standing at the work-bench. I plumped for a Sealey IWMH2013 1500W jobbie off eBay for about £32. I've not mounted it yet, but it's pushing out heat within 30 seconds. Likey.

Scimega: Project X30XE Pro-Touring Scimitar

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”