What happens to all the XXXX's ?

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

ronnie
Banned User

Post by ronnie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:44 am

Post by XXXX » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:14 am

"Hello i have only joined as i,m selling my Scimitar ....thought this the best place to sell"

Last active:Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:07 pm
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you still there XXXX ?

Did you sell it ?

Bet some of you are like me - just curious

Would be nice to know if these (here today and gone tomorrow members)owners can share what happened to their Scimitars. Nice to know the history of their car and its location around the country.Perhaps let the registar know where the car has gone.
Just an idea for +ve comments only.

I think there must be many XXXX's out there.

(I know it is a long shot but can you (XXXX) tell me more about the car) (smileyface)

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:36 am

Welcome to the internet :D

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

ronnie
Banned User

Post by ronnie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:51 am

"Just an idea for +ve comments only"

1st comment within an hour

I won a bet with myself (smiley face)

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:30 pm

ronnie wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:51 am
I won a bet with myself (smiley face)
So did I :mrgreen:

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),

ronnie
Banned User

Post by ronnie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:14 pm

At least we are still here Jim....still posting

keeping the multitude amused

How much £ was your bet Jim?
I'm a Scot and didnae pay masell when you posted. (smiley face wi weeteeth)

scimmy_man
RSSOC Member

Post by scimmy_man » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:46 pm

when I ran the york noggin I used to get phonecalls from people who didnt want to join the club, they either wanted a free hand to fix something, or they were selling at top dollar, and assumed I knew a list of willing buyers.

never heard from them before or after.

I once spent 12 hours "helping" ie doing the work, fitting an engine (for free) for a non member after a sob story, he never did join, and 3 months later had a call from the next owner, telling me the clutch bearing had gone and I was somehow resonsible.

I've taken a vow of poverty ...... Annoy me by sending me money!!

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:09 pm

FWIW Ronnie, I'm still here and my car is still here too. I understand the curiosity angle about this sort of thing though as I am always curious about it, especially with people who arrive in places like this, introduce themselves and seem incredibly enthusiastic, and then they just disappear as quickly as they came.

A lad very local to me arrived here in the last year. Just brought a 5a. Talked of his plans. Wanted us to get together for a photoshoot (clearly hadn't seen my car) and then *poof*, gone.

Very odd.

(As for me, my membership expires at the end of October, and my business has flat-lined since August... Which I'm not alone in experiencing within my area of expertise... so I will be letting my membership expire as a non-essential cost until something comes in - wife has accordingly cancelled her gym membership so its only fair. If I have to sell the car along the way that'll be me done and I'll be gone, but if the car survives this difficult patch and I'm able to keep it, I might rejoin the club again at a later date).

ronnie
Banned User

Post by ronnie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Two good and interesting posts from Scimmy_man and Another Tim

I'm a bit of a loner and do my own thing and hope to share and gain knowledge from others on here with a similar interest who take the time and trouble to post.

scimmy_man mentioned "never heard from them before or after."
but...have they just moved on to here - as demonstrated by that 1st post.

AnotherTim You've made my point for me in a way when you mention they arrive here and disappear. They (the XXXX's) never disappear they remain for ever and a day on the books.
Can you disappear if you never appeared?

Hope the future looks brighter AnotherTim and business picks up -always enjoy your posts.

A minimum number of posts before a For Sale post might work

scimm-man ..........I've got to end on a smileyface
Your opening sentence - were they reverse charge calls?

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:29 pm

ronnie wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:42 pm
There are a couple of forums that implemented this kind of thing - in response to scammers. It is almost universally hated as all it achieves is pointless replies to 5 random posts (often years old) followed by an advert.

How many adverts on here are first time posters? A quick look suggests maybe half a dozen of the 150 ish ads in the last 6 months? By forcing a minimum post count, we are more likely to lose those opportunities than gain a long term contributor IMO.

A mandatory introduction thread may be interesting - but impossible to implement automatically with the current system.

Jim King

ronnie
Banned User

Post by ronnie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:40 pm

scimjim wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:29 pm

A mandatory introduction thread may be interesting but impossible to implement automatically with the current system- .
Now that is my thinking Jim
Worthy of further discussion.

I'm like any opposition party - have great ideas (debateable) and rely on others with more grey matter than I to implement

As an aside - if the forum was introduced 50 years ago what would the membership total be?
Remember we got to the moon 50 years ago so the impossible is possible - if you try

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:44 pm

ronnie wrote:
I agree with this. To be really honest I think a lot of the stuff on here ought to be concealed behind a pay-wall that defines what membership is. On many other car club forums I've been on, not being a member means you are really limited to a social reception area where getting acquainted and shooting the breeze is really all that's available. Access to sale items, or the ability to sell, or any technical knowledge and technical discussion is all, in my experience, what you pay for with membership.
ronnie wrote:
I'm a bit of a loner and do my own thing and hope to share and gain knowledge from others on here with a similar interest who take the time and trouble to post.
I've always really enjoyed your posts Ronnie. I like the cut of your jib and I find you something of an enigma (in a good way I hasten to add) in regards to your work on the cars. You are doing a particular thing that if you were just doing it once, to one car, I would be able to frame it as a personal project. But you appear to be working on numerous cars with the same end point in mind and that leaves me curious as to what your intentions are ultimately. I'm not asking for clarification though... the mystery is good! The cars look good too, and I hope to see more progress from the outside once my membership expires.
ronnie wrote:
Hope the future looks brighter AnotherTim and business picks up -always enjoy your posts.
Thanks sir. It's been a very difficult period. Took a long summer holiday after starting a significant project that had booked me up until November. Before we went away the project ran into difficulties had then collapsed. The client had been sold off in a fire-sale to off-load it, and I was left trying to collect some remuneration for the work done so far from the old (and then the new) owners of the brand. No dice. It's dead. Very stressful.

Unfortunately, my little industry niche and others like it are now flatlining across the board, so it's been impossible to replace the lost income despite my best efforts. Combination of Brexit fears, the last business quarter of the financial year, and budgets either been spent or purse strings being clutched for an uncertain future mean there's nowt about. Also the industry is facing radical change. I'm involved in a new business start-up, tech-based, that responds to that radical change. But that requires sweat equity to get us through the investor phase, so the last six weeks has been a period of doing stuff every single day, but none of it has any direct financial reward. I'm either chasing (futilely) new business for myself, or I'm inputting to the new business in the hope that it pays me back some day soon. We're on the breadline, yet I'm having to keep going, spending money, with nothing coming back.

It's taken it's toll. I've succumbed to depression over the endless weeks of uncertainty, and not in a small insignificant way but a very deep and difficult way. Been here before. Life always goes on eventually. Could ultimately end up being career change number #487 except I can't think of anything else to try this time round.

Cheers for the kind words Ronnie. There are those who have enjoyed my contributions here and those who clearly don't. I raise a glass to those that do and I wish the club well.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:45 pm

ronnie wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:40 pm
As an aside - if the forum was introduced 50 years ago what would the membership total be?
About 5 times what it is today, and it still wouldn’t matter :D

Jim King

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Post by upstart8s » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Tim, not to seem facetious in any way, have you tried shelf-filling at Tesco or working in a fast food place? I know it is some time ago (but my situation was the same) I was one of 'Maggies Millions' a middle manager in engineering in the early eighties. I changed career direction many times before finding my slot making 'Chicken Tonight' 'OXO cubes' and 'Super Noodles' as just a simple machine minder.It worked for me, maybe you can shed all the stress and find a simple christmas job with 'Marks and Spencer' believe me, it can work. Best wishes,
Stu

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:39 pm

upstart8s wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:43 pm
Tim, not to seem facetious in any way, have you tried shelf-filling at Tesco or working in a fast food place?
Maggie's Millions... yeah, I remember those days.

I have never been unemployed for a single week since leaving school in 1985. I've never signed on. I've never had anything off anyone that I haven't worked for.

So yes. Done that kind of thing plenty of times before to get by, and I'll do it again. Sorry if my post gave the impression that I'm merely sat here feeling sorry for myself and not doing anything about it.

I've kind of got a last roll of the dice with a new business start-up, which is a very promising thing. I might be scrambling for money right now but my three business partners are all millionaires who have made their money starting-up and eventually selling businesses. So if this works out things will be okay again, but it takes time and who knows... it's a risk. I'm not required to invest financially... it's my skill-set exclusively that defines and underpins the new venture, so I'm contributing via sweat equity.

If this doesn't work out though, I'm very definitely looking to knock-down a gear and a to seek a local, low-level, process-based job to see me through. I'll be done with hustling as a skilled 'expert' in fast-paced media/comms industries. I'm just glad I was never seduced by the trappings of wealth and didn't ever buy a big swanky house with a huge garden and an expensive car. We live a modest life, because I know the pitfalls. So if I end up driving an Ocado van it wont mean we have to sell the family home and experience a culture shock of downgrading because we deliberately never up-graded. Working class through and through, despite a lifetime of poncing about London amongst the media-darlings.

There's an old, independent engraving business for sale at the end of my road. Freehold property and fully equipped (but aged) machine engraving workshop. I'd absolutely love to see if I could get financed to buy that. I think that could be something that could find new business revenue from previously un-tapped areas, and for me it would be a return to my starting point in many ways. I could grow old operating etching machines and engraving stuff for paying customers.

In the meantime, I've been looking into driving jobs, ground crew jobs at Gatwick, local part-time work. I'm not sitting around weeping about it, but depression is a bitch of a thing to have to fight through regardless.

And the thing about depression is... you can't declare it. You can't admit to it. People don't want to know. It's a great illness for losing friends and alienating people.

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”