Possible purchase. Advice required

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Bikergonebald

Post by Bikergonebald » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm considering buying a 1980 se6 gte at auction but there a few things I would need / want to do and I wondered if anyone could give me an idea of costs.
1. The downpipes need replacing as they are severely rusted and there are a few pin hole leaks. The centre sections and back boxes are already stainless.

2. The back axle has a lot of leaks and it's a high mile car 150,000 so how much for an axle recondition?

3. The body's good with not much cracking but there's a lot of blistering. In areas where it's not blistered it looks like it's been polished so much they've gone through to a previous coat of cream rather than white paint. I'm not after a show car so would consider a respray. If it were metal bodied I know it could be flatted or taken back to metal and given a quick respray. How much should I expect to pay for a respray?

4. How much for an electronic ignition upgrade?

Any help or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks
Kevin.

scimmy_man
RSSOC Member

Post by scimmy_man » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:38 am

1. The downpipes need replacing as they are severely rusted - fairly cheap why not fit tubular manifolds?

2. The back axle has a lot of leaks and it's a high mile car 150,000 so how much for an axle recondition? -- about £400, try changing the seals first

3. The body's good with not much cracking but there's a lot of blistering. In areas where it's not blistered it looks like it's been polished so much they've gone through to a previous coat of cream rather than white paint. I'm not after a show car so would consider a respray. If it were metal bodied I know it could be flatted or taken back to metal and given a quick respray. How much should I expect to pay for a respray? - a decent paint job starts at £3k a blow over £300

4. How much for an electronic ignition upgrade? - if a 2.8 its already got one. 3 litre will be about £100

I've taken a vow of poverty ...... Annoy me by sending me money!!

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”