Car Transportation

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Covpath

Car Transportation

Post by Covpath » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:06 am

Yippee! I've finally found a GTE (Thanks to Phil near Aber!) and would like to arrange transport to Warwickshire. Can anyone recommend a reliable transport firm relatively close to Coventry?
Thanks++
Paul

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Car Transportation

Post by drcdb15 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:16 am

I know a lot of people slag them off, but I've used Shiply twice and had no problem, in fact both times the drivers (different firms) were quite interested in cars generally, and sympathetic to their loads - they didn't treat it as 'just another cargo'.

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Car Transportation

Post by scimjim » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:31 am

Shiply is just a mechanism used to find the lowest bidder. I've used it without problem too.

I don't think location is too important, they will generally try to get a return load or do a round robin.

There's a guy in Gloucester I would recommend, and I think there's a couple more in the "recommended suppliers" section?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

Car Transportation

Post by Oxymoron » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:54 am

You can hire a low loader for the day for a reasonable price and collect the car yourself!

It's something I've looked into in the past.

http://www.transporterhire.co.uk/

1977 SE6a Manual Overdrive, Manual Steering and Windows!

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Car Transportation

Post by drcdb15 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:18 pm

For the difference in cost I'd always go with a transporter firm now. I once bought an A-frame and towed a Scim from Glasgow to Sussex, but quite apart from the legal situation (it was a grey area at the time, but now what I did would be illegal) the hassle isn't really worth it IMHO. Especially if the car is valuable, ask yourself just how experienced *are* you at properly lashing a car to a trailer? These guys do it day in day out. Plus the insurance if something goes wrong. What could possibly go wrong if you're careful ? Well the other idiot crashing into you through no fault of your own is the obvious risk. Then there's a blowout on the trailer, some failure of the tow hitch. etc etc etc. Of course all this is remote, but the risk *is* there, and for what you'll save yourself for a one-off trip is it really worth it? If you regularly trailer your car to shows etc that of course is a different matter, but for a one-off I'd always go for a shipper. At around £200 for a major journey it's not *that* expensive for a one-off - you pay more than that for your internet and don't even notice. Oh, BTW, anyone want to buy an A-frame ? Only used twice, and only ever towed Reliants ...

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”