Gearbox quandary!....

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by Oxymoron » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:54 am

Hi,
I have a predicament regarding the gearbox in my Se6a.

I have replaced the master and slave cylinders and hydraulic line with a braided one, so gear changes are easier when hot, but it has made the clutch pedal firmer.

This in turn is hurting my left knee, which I injured a few years ago when I dropped a large TV on it whilst moving house!

Since driving to Curborough and back I have been feeling the effects of the firmer pedal!

So should I:.....

A/ Source and fit an auto box to my car.

B/Look for an Automatic Scimitar and sell the manual car.

C/Stop being a "wuss" and get used to it.

D/Buy an Opel Monza :shock:
Last edited by Oxymoron on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

1979 SE6a Automatic power steering!

Nick

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by Nick » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:59 am

Generally better to change the car than try to convert to an Auto. Do you have overdrive? This helps in normal driving

I think it is possible to fit a larger bore clutch slave cylinder which would reduce pressure, but increase travel. Perhaps others can comment on this.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

toolmanchris
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by toolmanchris » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:03 am

Did Fuzz Townshend not fit a servo to someone's clutch on Wheeler dealers for a similar reason or have I just made that up :wink:

Chris Barker
http://www.toolmanweb.com
RSSOC: 4125

Yellow SE5a - currently undergoing restoration
Seat Leon FR - daily driver
Silver Hyundai SantaFe 2.2 - for pulling the caravan

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:16 am

You could put a proper gearbox in it, but you have a few issues...

1) You need to source a gearbox. You could use a C3 but it would be much nicer to have the A4LD. As they are hard to come by in the right spec, it could take a while to find one. It would require a vacuum switch from a Granada to make the TCC work safely.
2) You COULD use the manual pedal box, slightly modified but it would be better to fit the auto pedal box.
3) Throttle linkage... Can't remember if it has the kickdown option or whether you will need to change that. If you use the second generation box you will need to mod the linkage with a switch and timer relay for the solenoid kickdown to work..
4) If you go A4LD you will need an SE5a propshaft to go with it.
5) You will need a matching gear shift. Difficult to find the late low profile one so you might have to use the "Middlebridge" type which requires some surgery to the fibreglass.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by Oxymoron » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:38 am

toolmanchris wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:03 am
Did Fuzz Townshend not fit a servo to someone's clutch on Wheeler dealers for a similar reason or have I just made that up :wink:
Now that sounds good!

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by Oxymoron » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:41 am

AJL Electronics wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:16 am
You could put a proper gearbox in it, but you have a few issues...

1) You need to source a gearbox. You could use a C3 but it would be much nicer to have the A4LD. As they are hard to come by in the right spec, it could take a while to find one. It would require a vacuum switch from a Granada to make the TCC work safely.
2) You COULD use the manual pedal box, slightly modified but it would be better to fit the auto pedal box.
3) Throttle linkage... Can't remember if it has the kickdown option or whether you will need to change that. If you use the second generation box you will need to mod the linkage with a switch and timer relay for the solenoid kickdown to work..
4) If you go A4LD you will need an SE5a propshaft to go with it.
5) You will need a matching gear shift. Difficult to find the late low profile one so you might have to use the "Middlebridge" type which requires some surgery to the fibreglass.
Now that sounds Scary! :shock: I could doubtless source all of the parts over time, but I would need someone competent to fit them, as it would be beyond my meagre capabilities!....My local garage has already gone off Scimitars after fitting the clutch hydraulics and finding previous bodges! :lol:

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by peter freeman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:41 am

You can also fit a brake servo to the clutch - been done and apparently works very well.

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by Oxymoron » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:42 am

Nick wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:59 am
Generally better to change the car than try to convert to an Auto. Do you have overdrive? This helps in normal driving

I think it is possible to fit a larger bore clutch slave cylinder which would reduce pressure, but increase travel. Perhaps others can comment on this.
I have overdrive, which does help, as I tend to change from first to 3rd, to OD 3rd, when not out on the open road!

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by Oxymoron » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:43 am

peter freeman wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:41 am
You can also fit a brake servo to the clutch - been done and apparently works very well.
Is there space under the bonnet for it?

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by peter freeman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:46 am

The one I saw was fitted to a 5A - where there's a will there's a way. In the 5A it was fitted in front of the expansion tank - out with the measuring stick my lad.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:16 am

Oxymoron wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:41 am

Now that sounds Scary! :shock: I could doubtless source all of the parts over time, but I would need someone competent to fit them, as it would be beyond my meagre capabilities!.
Ahem!

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by upstart8s » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:17 am

toolmanchris wrote:
I'm not sure about Fuzz, but I contacted Nigel who had done one in a Scimitar for PC magazine. (I was looking for SS1) That's why I missed Curborough, and you lot keep going on about how good a time everybody had! Anybody want to swap a 1600 SS1 for an auto 6a?
Stu

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by philhoward » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:18 am

You can fit the servo wherever you want - even inside the inner wing if it will fit.

In front of the expansion tank is probably a good shout though from what I remember of a 6a underbonnet.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by scimjim » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:09 am

upstart8s wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:17 am
toolmanchris wrote:
I'm not sure about Fuzz, but I contacted Nigel who had done one in a Scimitar for PC magazine. (I was looking for SS1) That's why I missed Curborough, and you lot keep going on about how good a time everybody had! Anybody want to swap a 1600 SS1 for an auto 6a?
Stu
Converting an SS1 would be fun - first convert the pedal to push a slave cylinder instead of pulling a cable, then convert the gearbox to a hydraulic slave (concentric might be better?), then add a remote servo somewhere (plenty of room in an SS1). Expensive if you're paying for expert labour - but worth it IMHO if you want to keep the car.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Gearbox quandary!....

Post by philhoward » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:12 am

Fitting a master cylinder to the pedal is actually reasonably easy - just fit it backwards (so it sits above your foot). I had a trial fit of one (from a Ford of some description) when I was looking at fitting an MT75 to mine.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”