Heading West, well North West eventually.

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Post by Rev Light » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:20 am

We are doing this again on Monday. This time we are making our way to Bala for an overnight stop. Tuesday we will be off to the Llyn peninsular, for another overnight stop. Then to Anglesey on Wednesday.

Going to dive into Wales from Gloucester, and travel north through Hereford, etc. No hurry, just a gentle cruise.

Cheers

SE5a 'Fancier'

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Post by Rev Light » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:30 pm

Well, we have arrived in Cemaes after having a couple of days touring Wales. As stated above we have been out to the end of the Llyn Peninsular. Small roads, single track in places. All the way to Aberdaron.

A couple of roads I would like to bring to everyone's attention. The A49 north of Hereford was nice long sweeps and long undulating straights. But the best road was A490 going from Welshpool to Llanfyllin, then, most especially, the B4391 leading on to Bala. This little B road runs up the side of the U shaped valley (geography homework) and can be quite frightening for the passenger. When you reach the top, there is a cattle grid , so you have to keep and eye out for sheep's. But then there is the descent into Bala. Which includes a few tight corners and switchbacks. Hardly the Stelvio Pass, but then I have not had to go very far to drive it.

I would like to say the Scimitar has not missed a beat in the last few hundred miles, and strictly speaking it has not. It was me who let the side down, during the winter. At a little stately home near Rhiw, the starter motor would not ..... A wire to the solenoid had come adrift. And it was down to me using a crimp when I should have soldered the connection when I had the engine out last winter. That'll learn us. Fortunately the car park was on a slope, so I bumped it in reverse and go to the B&B where I was able to effect a repair.

Overheating has not been an issue, although we have been stuck in traffic on a couple
of occasions, on Anglesey. Lots of road works going north to Amlwch.

Night run home on Friday down the A5. Confidence building, according to the boss.

Steve

SE5a 'Fancier'

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:17 pm

Excellent :D

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Post by Rev Light » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:16 am

Last night we did a 5 and half hour evening dash from Cemaes, Anglesey to Swindon, through the Mountains (A5). We had a 10 minute break in Kidderminster and arrived home just after midnight.

Great run, at a steady pace, so we did not catch anyone up, but fast enough that nobody caught us up. Not a single Truck, Caravan or Mobile home was seen throughout the first half the journey, through the mountains.

The SE5a did not miss a beat.

Time to check her over between showers ( and thunder)

SE5a 'Fancier'

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:02 pm

That's a lovely route as far as Llangollen, and doing it in a GTE is exactly what it was designed for. If you're tempted to do it again, you're welcome to pop in, only a two mile detour, roughly half way twix Anglesey and Swindon.
Talking of 5 1/2 hours, that's how long we queued for Antiques Roadshow! Total waste o' time too, I knew more about our treasures than the "expert"😳

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:23 pm

b.c.flat hat wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:02 pm
Talking of 5 1/2 hours, that's how long we queued for Antiques Roadshow! Total waste o' time too, I knew more about our treasures than the "expert"😳
The Bread Van and Chicken Coop are certainly antiques Crusty... :W :lol:

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Post by Rev Light » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Blimey, now I am in South Wales. The Gower and The Mumbles. Also been to Laughlarn. Scimitar seemed to cope well with the stop/traffic through Port Talbot and on to Swansea, as well as the inevitable motorway work. Sister in law and pooch in the back. Fortunately she thought it was great fun. Been sunny until today. But it's home tomorrow. Ho hum.

My son passed his driving test earlier this week, so he is looking for a go. I think it's going to be a shock for him!

Steve

SE5a 'Fancier'

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”