STEAM ANYONE ??

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Re: STEAM ANYONE ??

Post by b.c.flat hat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:43 pm

A sad illustration of youthful irresponsibility has resulted in a very damaging vandal attack on a set of eight 1930s teak bodied carriages on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. The group of offenders broke into the carriages in the early hours of Sunday morning and proceeded to smash exterior windows, light fittings specially made to replicate the originals, break the built-in catering equipment and consume confectionery and drinks, set off fire extinguishers on seating and contaminate upholstery with "bodily fluids".

The coaches have been restored from scrap during a thirty year program by volunteers using funds raised by appeals and in their own time. The extent of the wide-spread damage is so severe that the vehicles will, at the earliest, not be back in use this year. The attack has deprived the railway of a complete train just at the start of its busiest period in the year and will adversely affect the financial outcome at years end, resulting in a hard pruning of planned projects for the immediate future.

On a personal note, I was Carriage & Wagon Eng for eleven years, developed the dept. from nothing to an efficient factory and actively encouraged the volunteers to restore these vehicles so I know how much time, effort and enthusiasm they put into the task. I cannot find a heart warming attitude so opposite from these senseless ne'er do wells than the overwhelming financial and morale support being shown by the good people of Yorkshire in response to this mindless act.

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:27 pm

Some people say they are board and need somthong to do. I say they are a bunch of mindless vandals who have no imagination. And the only thought thry have is to destroy somthing that others love.
If these people are the future of this country we are screwed!!

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Coincidentally, there is a report of a similar incident trashing a Reliant Kitten van (iirc) on the World of Reliant Forum this week, and also one on the Fiat 126 Forum, also very recent, that I have just read about, in which youths 'danced' on the roof and bonnet of the car, resulting in an insurance write-off.

Apart from CCTV and personally manning the site 24/7 I have no suggestions, only commiserations.

In the street where I live in Sussex there was commotion late last Monday evening when neighbours disturbed two people trying to break into a lock-up garage at about 11pm. Police failed to catch them but a neighbour got their car number which is apparently 'known to the Police'. Two weeks ago, when late one evening attending to the lock-up garage I rent to keep another car in, I was challenged by the neighbours there. When I informed them that I was merely using "my own" rented garaged they explained that they too had recently suffered some break-ins.

As our country receives ever more people from abroad and becomes increasingly crowded, and as our society gets ever more divided by wealth and greed into haves and have nots, and as Police resources get ever more inadequate for the increasing demands, I fear that these issues will simply get worse and worse, and there is little any of us can do at an individual level other than install ever more severe security protection, and if people take matters into their own hands to protect their own properrty I for one would not condemn them. The time has long ago passed when one could realistically expect any support from the authorities or the Courts.

Personally I have this week invested in a 5-lever lock and Enfield door bolts for my garage, and plan to install security flood lights to help the neighbours' garages which abutt my property, to try to make the whole area less attractive to thieves and vandals.

I suspect the apochalyptic world of Mad Max is approaching faster than any of us would like, even here in leafy Sussex.

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:43 pm

Bored they may be but mindless, certainly. They took selfies and published them on social media then fell into a drink induced sleep amongst their detritus where they were found on Sunday morning by the cleaners. The police arrived, all have been arrested and released on bail. I am sceptical about the outcome, maybe I'm too old school to expect the punishment to reflect the crime. I fail to understand why people jeopardise their future by acts such as this, it just isn't something I will ever come to terms with.

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:24 pm

I appreciate the effort that goes into these vehicles as I'm a volunteer with Railway Vehicle Preservations at the Carriage and Wagon works at Rothley on the Great Central and we have Gresley teak bodied vehicles as well. I could have cried for them when I heard that news. The fund raising to help with the repairs seems to be going well at least. Those responsible should be made to contribute financially and to do the dirtiest of the jobs that the volunteers willingly do.

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453
1974 SE5a manual and 1985 SS1 1600
If you know what you are doing... you aren't learning anything!

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:53 pm

The fund raising to help with the repairs seems to be going well at least.
Very sad to see this going on. Kids don't seem to have any respect for anything or anyone these days. Have bookmarked the fundraising page link and will donate something when my Pension gets in next week.
Regards Terry H

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:41 pm

b.c.flat hat wrote:Bored they may be but mindless, certainly. They took selfies and published them on social media then fell into a drink induced sleep amongst their detritus where they were found on Sunday morning by the cleaners. The police arrived, all have been arrested and released on bail. I am sceptical about the outcome, maybe I'm too old school to expect the punishment to reflect the crime. I fail to understand why people jeopardise their future by acts such as this, it just isn't something I will ever come to terms with.

Unfortunately it's now in the hands of the cps and the courts. They will consider that these individuals have had little or no education and also have a brain issue that means they are incapable of using it......

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

747PETE
RSSOC Member

Essex V6 a heavy lump.....not really!

Post by 747PETE » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:25 pm

One of the things I am involved in as a "retired person",thats a contradiction in terms,is steam locomotive maintenance,in a voluntary capacity,so thought you might like these.The little gang I am in,our joint age,goodness knows!,last Thursday we removed the motions from both sides of this magnificent 9F locomotive.We did some super engineering on this little island years ago :D I need to find more time to get on with the 5A...........................
DSCF6368 (2).JPG
9F
DSCF6368 (2).JPG (247.83 KiB) Viewed 1376 times

DSCF6371 (2).JPG
9F
DSCF6371 (2).JPG (338 KiB) Viewed 1376 times

DSCF6377 (3).JPG
9F
DSCF6377 (3).JPG (255.28 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
post merged with existing thread

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

STEAM ANYONE ??

Post by chrisgallacher » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Ropley? Just down the road from me if so...

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary
rally.secretary@rssoc.co.uk

747PETE
RSSOC Member

STEAM ANYONE ??

Post by 747PETE » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:54 pm

Thats right Chris,a small world! and thanks to the Mods for merging the thread :)

Archibald Tyre

STEAM ANYONE ??

Post by Archibald Tyre » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:43 pm

great pics

747PETE
RSSOC Member

STEAM ANYONE ??

Post by 747PETE » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Making a little smoke yesterday lighting up.........
DSCF6396 (3).JPG
DSCF6396 (3).JPG (133.55 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
DSCF6392 (3).JPG
DSCF6392 (3).JPG (103.7 KiB) Viewed 1292 times

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

STEAM ANYONE ??

Post by DARK STAR » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:46 pm

Beautiful, thanks Pete.

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

STEAM ANYONE ??

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:56 am

Very moody, atmospheric photos, Pete, thanks :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Benc
RSSOC Member

STEAM ANYONE ??

Post by Benc » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:31 pm

You won't see one of these often💨
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG (320.67 KiB) Viewed 1078 times

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”