forum/ebay/swapz scammers

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

scimjim
RSSOC Member

forum/ebay/swapz scammers

Post by scimjim » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:28 am

just a warning that there are nasty people out there - this scammer (http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... 170&page=1) is still particularly active in the classic car/retro car/car spares market and always seems to have a garage full of exactly what you need (abandoned resto etc) but very obtuse regarding location, payment, collection, etc.

cash on collection is always best unless you know or trust the seller IMHO, then the most you've lost is some time and a bit of petrol money?

just be careful because if seems too good to be true - it just might be.

can we sticky this in for sale, ebay, wanted AND non-tech for maximum coverage please?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

CLASSICFORDSPARES

Re: forum/ebay/swapz scammers

Post by CLASSICFORDSPARES » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 am

not only named and shamed but a photo put up to show him on rodsandsods :D

roymck

Post by roymck » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:17 am

Every morning I look at EBay classic cars for sale and every day without fail there are cars for sale that are too good to be true, e.g. Lotus elan £8,000 .
Signs that it's a scam are location given as UK not as normally location in U.K., they ask to then contact them and leave your phone number, also if you look at other items for sale from the seller there are normally camper vans, JCB,s, motorbikes , caravans etc all at a price you cannot resist.
If you are sucked in and make contact it's a case of the car is at the other end of the country but there are loads of people interested , send me a deposit and I will reserve it for you , oh my PayPal account,s not working so transfer money into this account, and that's it no car and no money.
And the adds are there every day , why does EBay not do something about it, it just destroys people's faith in EBay.

That's it rant over

Rattling
RSSOC Member

Post by Rattling » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:34 am

roymck wrote:Every morning I look at EBay classic cars for sale and every day without fail there are cars for sale that are too good to be true, e.g. Lotus elan £8,000 .
Signs that it's a scam are location given as UK not as normally location in U.K., they ask to then contact them and leave your phone number, also if you look at other items for sale from the seller there are normally camper vans, JCB,s, motorbikes , caravans etc all at a price you cannot resist.
If you are sucked in and make contact it's a case of the car is at the other end of the country but there are loads of people interested , send me a deposit and I will reserve it for you , oh my PayPal account,s not working so transfer money into this account, and that's it no car and no money.
And the adds are there every day , why does EBay not do something about it, it just destroys people's faith in EBay.

That's it rant over
Quite agree eBay should stop them posting I've noticed that it's a different user name and feedback score every time too,how do they get away with that :w

Colin

1800 Ti

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:37 pm

I think it is very simple: the scammers do pay their Ebay bills, so Ebay doesn't really care.
You can report such ads, you can ignore such ads.

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

roymck

Post by roymck » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Erik I can ignore such adds but there a lot of people out there that don't know a scam, they put there trust in EBay .

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Whilst I sympathise with anyone who has suffered a scam (and I've had my fair share so I know how it feels) I do feel that as a society we need to 'man up' over this and stop being so protective over people who, in my view, should be mature enough to show a bit of common sense. An elderly person may well be naive and trusting to the point of being seemingly totally stupid (my father was a classic case in point) but we should recall they grew up in a world where most house doors never had a key because no-one ever locked their doors because they never needed to. So you can forgive an elderly person for being prime scam material and fully deserving of protection by those of us younger and more street-wise. The same argument applies for children.

But for your average joe who's been around the block a few times, he really *should* know a scam when he sees it, and if he doesn't he *should*. It's no one else's responsibility to shelter him or protect or compensate him. It's a life-skill he should have acquired along with not to take sweets from strangers and to look before crossing the road. We should not rant and rail "something must be done" or blame eBay or other sites. These scams are as old as the hills. Surely we all remember from our childhoods newspaper adverts (even before the days of Yellow Pages) for guaranteed mouse killers that resulted in receiving two blocks of wood with the instructions: Place mouse on block 1...

Con men have been around since at least the days of the Turin shroud, and parents should make sure their children are properly equipped to deal with these hazards of daily life before embarking upon the adult world. They are after all nothing new.

It's a jungle out there, survival of the fittest. It always has been, and you won't ever change it. Now, about my concours Scimitar with 13 months' MoT, a bargain at £62.50 ...

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”