DVLA History Requests

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

cookieboy
RSSOC Member

Re: DVLA History Requests

Post by cookieboy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:02 am

i did the same with my old se5a .not all previous owners could be traced .the last owner told me he traded it in, on the govt scrappage scheme ,and the dealer then put in a auction .my current car .has a whole box file of invoices dating back to the 90s when the car was in devon .

I am a glorified binman .washroom service operative !

monkey
RSSOC Member

Researching the history of your vehicle.

Post by monkey » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi

Don't know if this is the right section on the forum for this or not as the topic can relate to any car.

It concerns my SE4 that I'll be restoring in the near future. I needed to find out the original colour of the car when it first left the factory, not as easy as it sounds as apparently the chassis number is of no help and the original Reliant build records were lost/destroyed.

My SE4 is currently white, but there are traces of red, and the spare wheel well under the car is (Manhattan) blue. To confuse things further the engine bay appears to be silver streak.

As I have no practically no previous information on the SE4 I decided to apply for the full history from the DVLA. This was relatively easy, all I had to do was fill out form number V888 (the link to the form is here)
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -a-vehicle

The fee was only £5 and they responded within 3 weeks.
The reply I received from the DVLA was very comprehensive with a personalised letter that explained why they only had limited keeper information (basically they only held records as far back to 1974 for my particular vehicle even though it was first registered in 1967)

Prior to 1974 all vehicle registrations (and maintaining ownership records) were the responsibility of the council where the car was registered, in my case Stockport County Council. From 1974 the vehicle records were computerised and centralised to the DVLA, once the information was disclosed by the councils to the DVLA it was up to them if they archived the old record books, or destroyed them.
Some councils did throw away the records (such as London and Glasgow) so it is in the lap of the Gods if you are in luck or not.

I had to find out if the Stockport records were kept, not an easy task as some councils were swallowed up by larger boroughs over the years. I discovered this website which lists the councils that still retain the records, the link is here
http://www.kitheadtrust.org.uk/england_wales2_11.html

From this brilliant site I was able to establish that the records were held by Manchester Archives and Local Studies Dept. A quick phone call later and they confirmed that they did in fact hold the register for my registration number, they could not disclose the details though without a fee of £15.
Monies paid and 2 weeks later I received a certified photocopy of the record book. Guess what, it told me absolutely nothing I didn't already know. The details were Make, Chassis Number, engine capacity and date of first registration. Details of the owner were blank, and no colour had been recorded (don't be put off by this result, when I did the same enquiry with Buckinghamshire council on one of my SP's it did state the first owner).

So I still have no idea of the original colour or first owner. I did establish though from the records DVLA sent that the colour change from red to white was in 1993.
Also in its life time from first being in Stockport the cars been to, Sheffield (1974), Reading (1981), Swindon (1991), Newent (1996), Stonehouse (1997), Tamworth (2007), Romsey (2007), Hinckley (2011) and finally into my possession in 2012.

Could it have been a special order in red (bearing in mind it was registered on Valentines day), or will I discover the true colour when the body gets taken back to the gel coat?
Could anyone confirm if the engine bay was body colour, or were they all sprayed silver?

Regards

Kev M
Last edited by monkey on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kev Monk

"Common sense is not so common."
* Voltaire, Dictionnaire Philosophique (1764)

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: Researching the history of your vehicle.

Post by scimjim » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:32 pm

V888 has been discussed loads of times but I didn't know that pre 74 local records were still held by councils (certainly didn't get a letter with mine). Engine bay would have been body colour.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:34 pm

As it's not technical info, probably best to merge with the existing thread here?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),

monkey
RSSOC Member

Post by monkey » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:49 pm

Apologies, being a new boy I hadn't realised it had been covered so comprehensively. I'm still trying to find my way around the site, I have to say that this must be one of the best car forums on the web.

Regards

Kev M

Kev Monk

"Common sense is not so common."
* Voltaire, Dictionnaire Philosophique (1764)

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:03 pm

No dramas - there was new info and a friendly mod will move it :-)

Jim King

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: DVLA History Requests

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:20 pm

No problem - thread moved'n'merged :)

Actually, even if you had got all the original registration details, it wouldn't necessarily give you a definitive answer. The mulberry car was registered in Feb '79, with the first owner (for a year) being Reliant Motor Co. The registration doc simply states the colour to be "red", which is true, but there are other shades of red as well :roll:

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

scimmy

DVLA History Requests

Post by scimmy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:13 pm

A few months ago I checked out the details of a Scimitar I had sold last year on the dvla and I was somewhat surprised to find it included the name and address of the MOT test centres going back to 2006. Every other car I typed in also gave the address of the location of where they were tested. I thought that was strange and no doubt for some a little concerning. It was nice though to check out some of the prestige classics I'd seen over the months at various local car meets to know roughly where they came from; two of which were a Ferrari 250 and 275 (originals BTW not replicas) that resided within a few miles from me; plenty of people with a few million quid spare it seems. But now this has gone and all it says is "unavailable until further notice".

Terry Rickard
RSSOC Member

DVLA History Requests

Post by Terry Rickard » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:52 pm

The following has been taken from the January 2018 FBHVC Newsletter and Addendum:
Use of V888 for Historic Research
DVLA are no longer able to provide the registration history of a vehicle for research purposes in response to a V888 request. This was discussed further with DVLA who confirmed that the advice they received as a Government Agency was that this disclosure of personal data will not be permitted under the General Data Protection Regulation and thus they have no choice in the matter. This is in line with FBHVC’s understanding of the Regulation and while the demise of this service is a regrettable loss to the historic vehicle community, it is unfortunately unavoidable.

Terry H
RSSOC Member

DVLA History Requests

Post by Terry H » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:36 pm

This is the letter I had back after my V888 request for vehicle owner history for so I could find out about previous work history. I received the previous owner history for my Scimitar with no issues last year.
Regards Terry H
Attachments
img007.jpg
img007.jpg (149.34 KiB) Viewed 1091 times

kapri

DVLA History Requests

Post by kapri » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:28 am

Due to recent changes in Data Protection DVLA will no longer supply details of previous owners . They will advise on specific items such as when a colour change took place etc. In fact when you buy a car now and receive a new V5C the logbook no longer even shows the people you just bought it from !

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”