Shooting Brakes

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Shooting Brakes

Post by scimjim » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:50 pm

This is something I penned a few years ago for Slice - but Terry decided not to use, so I'm posting it here for posterity, comment and addition - suggest a sporting estate that belongs in this list and I'll amend it. Just flicking through, I can't remember why I didn't include the Gilbern Invader, the new Bentley, any number of Jaguars including the Mk2 county and the XJS Lynx eventer, the Maser "Cinqueporte", etc, etc :-)

Since cars were invented, there have been all manner of coach built bodies produced for owners, particularly bespoke shooting brake bodies on expensive sports cars. With the following examples, all sourced from the internet, I have tried to highlight a (roughly) chronological path through the “sporting estate” bloodline. Some are one offs, some never made production, others are genuine production cars, some are race cars. You will undoubtably think of many that are missing but all are sporting and all share the rear aspect of an estate or shooting brake.

This 1951 Ferrari 212 Export demonstrates perfectly, the early standard practice of bespoke bodies. Initially purchased as a chassis, it had a racing body (often called a "Carretto Siciliano", or "Sicilian cart") constructed by Carrozzeria Fontana of Padua (above) before Vignale rebodied the car as an export spyder (below)

It then gained the “Giardinetta” body

before being rebuilt as a spyder, allegedly using the bulk of the original body (as sold in 2006)

1962. I include this Ferrari 250 for two reasons, firstly it’s an early example of a coupe converted to estate or shooting brake and secondly it's called "The Breadvan" so will give Craig a chuckle :-) The story began with the palace revolt at the end of October, 1961. This dispute, between Enzo Ferrari's wife and several key employees, forced many workers, including engineers Giotto Bizzarrini and Carlos Chiti, to find work elsewhere. So, they defected to Scuderia Serenissima, a race team run by Count Giovanni Volpi. After Enzo Ferrari found out, their 250 GTO order was cancelled, and they were left to find used cars for the 1962 season. Chassis #2819 was purchased, one of the few competition SWB 250s built to contest LeMans, to this Bizzarrini added all the features of the GTO that made it successful (including dry sump lubrication, a lower, more centered engine position and a radical body executed by Piero Drogo's coachworks). In some ways, Count Volpi got a car that was better than a GTO. At the 1962 LeMans, the Breadvan, with much smaller proportions, weighed 143 lbs lighter than the standard GTO. Despite the lack of five-speed gearbox, the reduced weight helped the Breadvan stay ahead of the GTOs at Le Mans, until it retired four hours into the race.

Sir David Brown had Tickford of Newport Pagnell (the coach building company he had bought in 1955), build the first Aston Martin DB5 Shooting Brake in 1963/64. This car was soon followed by another 11 units (Converted by Harold Radford Ltd. in West London because Tickford was running to capacity). The car was displayed at the 1965 Paris Motor Show.

Carrozzeria Colli and others produced a number of Giulia station wagons, also called "Promiscua" or “Giardinetta”. The closed version was used by the police (Carabinieri cinofili, furgonata) or as ambulances. Estimates on numbers vary between 16 (Luigi Fusis' production list) and 500, probably all based on Colli kits but available through the factory. Exact years of production are also unknown but roughly “late 50s, early 60s)

1965. Probably one of the closest prototype or concept cars (of the time) to the Scimitar GTE, Hexagon Garages wanted to make a small series of this Elan Estate but finally only produced two units. Nicknamed the "Elanbulance" it has very similar rear hatch, rising waistline and side windows to the Scimitar.

1966. FLM Panelcraft converted this DB6 for an American owner, along with another one for F1 driver Innes Ireland. Serious damage at delivery prompted the owner to sell it. A painful odyssey with several restoration attempts followed: someone even fitted DB5 wings. The current French owner had it rebuilt to original specs in 1999. Another seven DB6 Shooting Brakes were produced by Radford of Hammersmith (UK). While five units went to the US, David Brown's family used one for many years.

This 1959 XK 150 was converted to an estate car in 1968. It got its nickname (Tow Car) from its role in towing race car trailers and an aeroplane. Beside that, it participated in hill climbs and amateur race meetings. After a full restoration in 1997 it is now as pretty as ever (note there does not appear to be any rear seats in the post restoration pictures)

1968. Alfredo Vignale, who had already done about 140 Ferrari bodies, realized this completely redesigned 330 GT 2+2. Under the hood it remained standard: V12, 4-litre, 340 HP. It was to be Alfredo Vignale's last work: a few days after selling his factory in 1969 he died in a car crash.

1968 This is one of two Volvo P1800ES prototypes and was nicknamed the 'Rocket' because of its shape. It was built from a coupé taken from the production line and sent to Frua for this prototype to be built. The original was white then repainted gold by Frua. It is now metallic blue and resides in the Volvo Museum.

Rover didn’t build a production estate car until the 75. However, in the early 70s British Leyland dealers sold about 160 P6 which had been converted by FLM Panelcraft. Notice how the side windows follow the original rear wing line, something Ogle managed to avoid with the GT/E.

The P1800 ES had only a short production career (1971 to 1973).

1971-1972. The BMW 1602, 1802, 2002 and 2002 tii Touring is more of a hatchback than a GT/Estate. Total production saw fewer than 30,000 units produced. BMW now have a massive market share of the touring market.

The Lancia Beta was available in a number of different body styles between 1972 and 1984. The three-door shooting brake was called the HPE (High Performance Estate, or later, High Performance Executive). Late in the model's life a Rootes-type supercharger was added, these variants were known as Volumex models. Unfortunately a combination of poor quality steel, poor rust proofing and poor quality paint techniques at the factory led to the Beta gaining a reputation for being rust-prone, particularly the Series 1 vehicles. Whilst later Betas were better protected from the elements, these issues damaged the whole marque’s sales success on most export markets

Project Lynx was re-evaluated in 1972, following the establishment of the TR7 as BLMC’s corporate sports car. The objective was to extend the TR7 and improve its accommodation. Initial ideas centred on a sports estate version, somewhat akin to the Reliant Scimitar GTE. The full scale prototype however reverted to a 4 seater coupe style.

By the mid-1970s Crayford had established itself as Britain's foremost producer of estate and convertible versions of mass-produced cars. When they turned their attention to the TR7, they might have been expected to produce a convertible – particularly as BL's own drop-top would not arrive for several years – but instead they came up with this rather awkward-looking sporting estate called the Tracer. On the plus side, it meant that the car gained a folding rear seat, making it a 2+2. Around the same time, BL was also working on the Lynx, but neither this nor the later Broadside project ever saw the light of day. Oddly enough, the same fate befell the Tracer. The job had been commissioned by BL dealers Page Ltd, and the car would have competed with the likes of the Reliant Scimitar and Lancia HPE, had it ever entered production. However, the project folded after only a handful of prototypes had been completed, and it is thought that just one example survives today.

1975. Alfa's first compact, the Alfasud, was offered as the Giardinetta, in 3-door only. Like BMWs Touring, Alfa sportwagens such as the 33, 147 etc have become synonymous with sporting estates

The idea for this stunning one-off came from Luigi "Coco" Chinetti Jr., US Ferrari dealer and race driver. He designed it together with Gene Garfinkle and Bob Gittleman. Bob Jankel of Panther Westwinds, now specializing in armored vehicles, converted this 1972 Daytona in 1975. The rear design is inspired by the 1968 Volvo Rocket prototype.

1976. With the Triumph 2000 estate now over 10 years old, Leyland Cars planned to replace it with an estate version of their newly-launched Rover SD1. Carbodies were commissioned to build a prototype, but only got as far as producing a full-size clay model before Leyland decided to take the development in-house. The project was later aborted, although Michael Edwards famously used this running prototype as his personal transport before it was despatched to the Heritage collection (the only other prototype is in the Haynes Museum, Sparkford).

In 1980 Chris Cumberstone developed the first sports car with a fully retractable hard top. Unfortunately only a handful were built before the company went into receivership. Patrick Motors Group PMG bought the remains of Rapport and asked Ladbroke Avon (builder of the truly awful Avon XJ6 Estate) to build a shooting brake. Chassis and engine are Jaguar XJ12.

The 1985 De Tomaso Deauville Giardinetta – a classic example of how not to convert an 80s Italian supercar into a sporting estate!

The Volvo 480 started very successfully in 1987 and was produced until 1995. In 1988 Volvo began selling the 5-door hatchback 440 and in 1989 it introduced the 4-door 460 - both on the same platform as the 480. In this case the egg came before the chicken: the shooting brake paved the way for the sedan. Available variants were S, ES and Turbo. Interestingly, much of the front end is GRP. Compare the design with todays C30?

Between 1988 and 2003 DP Motorsport converted Porsche 944 and 924 into superfast wagons. With its fiberglass and steel tube modifications, the 944Cargo is even stiffer than the production car.

1992 AM Virage. Aston Martin revived the old idea of the supercar Shooting Brake and turned an almost completed Virage into the then fastest station wagon in the world, with a top speed of 245 kph. The roof line was raised 15 cm to obtain more passenger headroom. For £ 165,000 this racer included such options as 50/50 foldable rear seats, electrical windows in the rear and anchor points for fixing load. Total production amounted to 4 units.

1995. Pininfarina created a limited series of RHD 456 GTs for members of the Brunei royal family. It included convertibles, four door saloons and station wagons, known as "Venice". For the station wagon Pininfarina lengthened the chassis by 20 cm

1996. Audi launch the A3. Although it’s not a sporting estate and isn’t based on an existing coupe, the trend (from the Ford Focus to the Honda Civic) towards the GT/E outline is obvious.

1999 AM Vantage. Swiss coachbuilder Beat Roos and his crew created this modern day supercar wagon in 1999. Owner Marcel Ospel (CEO of the UBS bank) donated it to the Swiss Museum of Transport and Communication in Lucerne

2000. Beat Roos created the only Lagonda Shooting Brake, based on a 1987 Series 3 Aston Martin Lagonda (I wonder why only one was created!!) – seen for sale in Feb 2010.

2003. Swiss designer Rinspeed has a tradition of surprising visitors of the Geneva Motor Show with a new creation every year. This Porsche 996 turbo is not only a station wagon which converts into a pickup within 10 seconds. It's also currently the worlds fastest natural gas propelled car, and claims to be a rugged 4 x 4 on top of that.

The world's fastest delivery van, built by Protoscar for Derendinger (Switzerland)

2004. Bertone has a tradition of creating Aston Martin specials since 1953. The Jet 2 running prototype is built on a Vanquish V12 with lengthened wheelbase. The project has conceptual ties to the 1961 Aston Martin Jet, a 2+2 seater based on the DB4 GT. However, the Jet 2 has foldable rear seats and allows for a station wagon configuration. (Does anybody want to buy my internal organs so that I can make a deposit on this?!)

2004 BMW launch the One series. Like the Audi A3, it’s not a real sporting estate and like the Volvo 480, wasn’t based on an existing coupe version – but a coupe and convertible have since been released based on the same floorpan.

The Lancia Delta HPE Concept Car had its world premiere in 2006 at the 63rd edition of the Venice International Film Festival. The car takes its inspiration from the practical, sporty, elegant car concept embodied in the Lancia Beta HPE during the second half of the Seventies to offer an up-to-date take on the idea of a sporty yet practical saloon (shooting brake).

No, it’s not the long awaited new GM Nomad, it’s a conversion kit shown in 2006, to make your Pontiac Soltice look like one of the two concept Nomads displayed since 1999.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Diabhalta

Re: Shooting Brakes

Post by Diabhalta » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:11 am

Lancia Beta HPE from different angle

1979 SE6a

Friends are like trees

They fall down if you hit them multiple times with an axe

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:13 am

just read somewhere that this was designed for Avon by Tony Stevens!!! with a Renalt 5 tailgate!!!!!!!!!
47_xj12.jpg
Last edited by scimjim on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:15 am

Diabhalta wrote:Lancia Beta HPE from different angle
I've tried to concentrate on rear 3/4 shots - that's the angle that makes or breaks ( :-)) a shooting brake / conversion.
Last edited by scimjim on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim King

Diabhalta

Post by Diabhalta » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:20 am

Honda Accord Aerodeck

1979 SE6a

Friends are like trees

They fall down if you hit them multiple times with an axe

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:20 am

Interesting stuff :D There's a website Here that's worth a browse....

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:23 am

Wonderful & fascinating, Jim...thanks for all the effort it must have taken, to post it....A lot of obscure stuff I (for one!) had'nt seen before!!!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:24 am

Roger Pennington wrote:Interesting stuff :D There's a website Here that's worth a browse....
just shows how little information on the www is original :-) I haven't seen that site, yet text and photos I've copied from elsewhere are identical in places.

Jim King

Mateybass

Post by Mateybass » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:27 am

Excellent and fascinating article Jim. You've hit my sweet spot with these as being a bass player is a life of estate cars :D

As a bit of a classic (read pre A-series) Audi fan, I'd like to point you to something that had sporting heritage and was in full production, and was even driven by James Bond, The Audi 200 Quattro Avant. The 200 saloon won the Safari rally in 1987 with Hannu Mikola. The estate version, the Avant was a very quick and powerful load lugger, with the looks of a sporting shooting brake, at least from side profile :) I believe the 200 is a better example than the A3, since the mk2 version of the 200 was only ever a performance saloon car, based as it was on the powerplant and running gear of the legendary rallying Quattro's of the 80's. Ironically, the 200 actually had a greater top speed than the Quattro due to its lower drag coefficient. Pop over to my sadly neglected website at audi200.org.uk for more info. If it happens to be down, it'll be back up soon on a newer server. This was one of my 200 Avants:

Another Audi which fits the bill above is this one.

1991 Reliant Scimitar SST 1400 number 39 - Skippy's Facebook Page
1999 Subaru Forester S-Turbo Auto (LT)

RSSOC member no. 6883

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:33 am

scimjim wrote:
Roger Pennington wrote:Interesting stuff :D There's a website Here that's worth a browse....
just shows how little information on the www is original :-) I haven't seen that site, yet text and photos I've copied from elsewhere are identical in places.
I guess for a lot of the rarer cars and prototypes (especially the older ones, and even more so if they only had a limited life), there is only a limited stock of photos to choose from.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:35 am

Mateybass wrote:I believe the 200 is a better example than the A3, since the mk2 version of the 200 was only ever a performance saloon car
agreed - but the A3 stays as an early example of the current trend for nearly all hatchbacks to gain the "GTE" rising waistline, lowering roof (with similarly shaped glass)

Jim King

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:36 am

Roger Pennington wrote:
scimjim wrote:
I guess for a lot of the rarer cars and prototypes (especially the older ones, and even more so if they only had a limited life), there is only a limited stock of photos to choose from.
yep - would love to see what the back of that 51 Ferrari 212 Giardinetta looked like :-)

Jim King

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:47 am

Jag Mk2 "County" by Jones Bros of Willesden

Jag XK150 "Foxbat" - looks like a secret liaison with a Morris Minor Traveller :-)

Jag E type Hearse :shock:

Jag XJS Lynx Eventer

Bently

gotta look this one up - a 190SLT?

Last edited by scimjim on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim King

*JP*

Post by *JP* » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:51 am

Interesting stuff,reminded me of many cars I'd almost forgotten...what I do recall vividly is how ugly the Rover 2000/3500 conversion was because they saved money by not changing the falling roofline,which would have meant changing the rear doors,etc.(the picture above is taken from a flattering angle.)

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:55 am

just found this similar thread on pistonheads too :-)

Jim King

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”