Something to be aware of

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Something to be aware of

Post by MikeyBikey » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:38 pm

I wonder if, at this rate, one day transporting ourselves around will be an inconvenience and everything will be virtual. Fat blobs sat on our couches imagining everything is real.

except beer

Is we sideways yet...

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Something to be aware of

Post by drcdb15 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:49 pm

philhoward wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 pm
who’s going to magic up all the electric to charge them in the first place? One thing I’ve not found a definitive answer to is if all the “free”/renewable energy gets stolen by the battery chargers, what’s the effect if it doesn’t hit its intended destination (slowing tides/stopping sunlight hitting the ground/sea)?
Nuclear. AIUI we are already in a situation where growth in world population is so fast that the only possible viable option to maintain current levels of demand (for domestic, industry etc, never mind electric cars) is nuclear, in the short term, as it's not viable to build renewables conversion infrastructure fast enough - you would get there in the end, but there would be years, maybe decades, before capacity caught up with demand, largely because conversion efficiency of renewables such as wind, tidal etc is so tiny, cf nuclear which is close on 100%.

And this answers your second question - what is the effect of 'taking out' the renewable energy from its source. The answer is nothing much that you could detect. The energy balances on the planet as a whole are so immense that the total human energy element is vanishingly small. Energy on Earth comes from two sources - geothermal from cooling of the planet's core, and radiation from the Sun. All other energy sources ultimately derive from these two. And iirc the bulk of the energy from both of these is simply lost by radiation and reflection into space. Humans can take out pretty much all they would ever want and the only effect will be that the planet cools infinitesimally more slowly. You only have to look at the lava flows from any recent volcanic eruption to see the energy content of the planet as a whole is way bigger than humans could ever hope to capture, much less control. What we might want to take out to charge our cars will not change the course of natural history.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Featu ... /page6.php

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

Alan SS1

Something to be aware of

Post by Alan SS1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:58 pm

philhoward wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 pm
“Change my batteries because I don’t have enough time to wait for a recharge” is already online, I thought?
?
I thought so too, :? but cannot remember which car company proposed it, maybe the ones from the 80's that GM? took back and (mostly) crushed :(

I think that Jim's comment about Tax 'will happen' and Peter's comment WILL have to be addressed (if not nuclear, what else, cos the coal burners are being demolished)

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

toolmanchris
RSSOC Member

Something to be aware of

Post by toolmanchris » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Think that Renault was proposing that for their Zoe a few years ago?

Chris Barker
http://www.toolmanweb.com/scimitar
RSSOC: 4125

Yellow SE5a - currently undergoing restoration
Seat Leon FR - daily driver
Silver Hyundai SantaFe 2.2 - for pulling the caravan

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Something to be aware of

Post by scimjim » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:10 pm

The idea of replacing the complete battery pack is decades old - fine for production cars but at odds with the idea of converting existing ICE vehicles which would need specific packaging?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”