breakdown Recovery AA vs RAC or who?

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun May 06, 2018 9:03 am

I was under the impression that most of the classic insurers include full european breakdown and recovery? Is that not right? I have been with RH Classic Insurance for years and on the few occasions that I have had to call the breakdown service even in France, it was as painless an experience as it could be. So for just over £100, I get comprehensive road cover including business use in person, plus full recovery and breakdown for less than some are paying for AA/RAC alone for UK cover.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Sun May 06, 2018 9:17 am

Last time I checked for insurance with breakdown cover there were different levels of breakdown cover as there is if you go to the breakdown service direct.
Regards Terry H

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:57 am

Ian Lock wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 3:20 pm
I agree all this " haggling " "moaning " and just to get things a bit cheaper ,
£155 on AA versus better cover and for TWO people in ANY car for only £43 from AutoAid ... I think I'd call that a bit more than just a "bit" cheaper - it's over 70% less !! :shock:

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:10 pm

drcdb15 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:57 am
Ian Lock wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 3:20 pm
I agree all this " haggling " "moaning " and just to get things a bit cheaper ,
£155 on AA versus better cover and for TWO people in ANY car for only £43 from AutoAid ... I think I'd call that a bit more than just a "bit" cheaper - it's over 70% less !! :shock:
you on commission :wink:

I must say I looked them up and I keep thinking, there's a catch, there must be a catch :-)

so now to convince SWAMBO that 'worth a punt' . . . .

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:03 pm

OK, here's not the catch, but the *difference* - the AA and RAC are motoring organisations, and originated as clubs for members. The members paid their annual subs, and in return they got the 'service'. The service was originally the provision of roadside phone boxes, road patrols (remember the motorcycle and yellow sidecar? I still have a couple of the members' keys to the old yellow and black phone boxes). [actually, the *first* AA 'service' was to alert early motorists to police speed traps ... so not much changes :D ] and of course fixing your broken down car by the roadside.

As time went by, the consumer society came along, and competition increased - talking the 1970s here - and both AA and RAC sought to diversify and differentiate their services. Hence they got into travel, then holidays, merchandising such as 'all you need to drive in France kits', and product endorsement - who hasn't had a 5 litre spare fuel can with the AA Seal of Approval sticker? All this of course had to be financed, and of course the members' subs was the primary revenue stream. When sales of fuel cans and Motoring Atlases dwindled, up went the subs to compensate.

Fast forward another 20 years to the birth of the internet, and we have more diversification, into insurance, not just motor but holidays, pets, household, you name it - AA and RAC I believe are now even offering household maintenance support - fix your central heating and check your engine oil while I'm here - and web based services such as travel news, on-line route planners and so on. Again, none of this comes for free, and ultimately it's the members' subscriptions that provide a lot of the funding. And all of that is fine of course, as long as members and others of the general public buy those services. But also it all takes infrastructure - offices, staff, and all the trappings of a substantial nationwide organisation. Today, the AA employs over 7500 people, and they all have to be paid, housed, have pensions and so on.

Forward again, to today, with the internet to hand, price comparison web sites well established and online banking, enter the insurance companies. They already have their costs covered, their staff, their offices and their traditional customer base, householders insuring buildings and contents etc. So their financing is pretty much sorted. So the 'barrier to entry' for them to move into motoring breakdown cover is minimal. And the key is that most motorists these days do *not* want all the peripheral stuff that the traditional 'motoring clubs' offer. And if they do, they shop around and buy off the internet.

In the past, motorists were typically people who had an interest in cars and in travel. Today a 'motorist' is pretty much every member of the adult population, and they view a car in much the same light as they view a TV set or a washing machine - they don't care what's inside, it is just a machine and they just want it to work. So all they want from a 'motoring organisation' is someone to be there ASAP to fix it when it goes wrong. Well this is an ideal scenario for the business model used by Green Flag and Britannia rescue etc - simply a central number for the driver to call, and the call centre calls a garage - *any* garage - that can get to the stranded car ASAP and get it going again. There is no infrastructure to finance, there is no fleet to support, there are no extra frills or 'members' perks' to provide. It's just get a rescue truck out as fast as you can to get this car going again. Pure and simple.

The roadside breakdown/recovery model of these new companies is completely different to the old AA/RAC model, and has dramatically lower operational costs, which is why the pricing is so radically different. They don't charge as much as the AA/RAC because they're not providing what the AA/RAC provide. The question for the consumer is, do you want to pay for what you really basically want and need, or do you want to pay for that PLUS a lot of other services that most likely you not only don't need today, but have *never* needed in the past...

Chris

GavinR
RSSOC Member

Post by GavinR » Tue May 08, 2018 2:31 pm

jag12 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 pm
Looked at RAC a couple of years ago and looking at small print they seemed to exclude vans and other commercial vehicles
Stayed with AA as it is any vehicle cover even if as a passenger
Just have to ring them at renewal to complain,now fixed for 2 years at a price less than paid 4 years ago 🤔
This is why I've always stuck with the AA - they don't have any trouble recovering a 3.5t LWB Transit and Trailer
Last time I looked around, most companies either didn't cover vans or only covered them up to 3t

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue May 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Me too - P38 Range Rover plus Scimitar on a trailer - no problem sir (twice :D ) I have Gold or Platinum AA (whichever one gets you a Christmas card from them :-)) for the whole family (4 drivers) even though my two sons don’t live at my address.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

roymck
RSSOC Member

Post by roymck » Tue May 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Just renewed my RAC membership , was £126 , now £168 , rang them told them I was leaving and now £116 for 15 months .
It pays to haggle

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Alan SS1 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:10 pm
I must say I looked them up and I keep thinking, there's a catch, there must be a catch :-)

so now to convince SWAMBO that 'worth a punt' . . . .
In view of all the incredulity surrounding AutoAid, I thought folks may be interested in a true story - I know it's true because I'm in it, and it happened just two days ago.

I was out in my Webster with the Bug Club annual rally in Kent, last Thursday until yesterday. On Saturday 16th we set off on a run to Folkstone from Staplehurst, over some pretty steep hills in temperatures around 19 degrees. 9 miles short of Folkstone the Bug was getting seriously sluggish, and suddenly the brake pedal locked solid. On pulling over and inspecting, the front brakes were smoking hot, and obviously the shoes had been dragging. The Bug Club features a couple of ace mechanics who descended on the car and spent over an hour checking over the brakes in every way you can imagine, resulting in a final diagnosis of "it's f&cked" or some technical phrase to that effect - shot master cylinder plus a load of other minor contributing components. So, on the phone to AutoAid...

Now, just a bit of background - I've never called AutoAid before. I didn't have my policy number with me. I don't have satnav, I had no idea where I was other than the local signposts and what I could see from the layby I was stopped in. I have never told AutoAid what cars I have, and they don't even know how many much less what they are. The Bug is on a Q plate. So, back to the story:

In just about an hour and a quarter a brand new 18 reg flatbed recovery truck from Ashford Recovery arrived, I told the chap the story and he didn't even bother checking that the brake pedal went to the floor. Once the car was loaded, he offered us a loo brek at the nearby Stop24 services (nr J11 on the M20) before we set off home. He took us straight home, and asked which side of the driveway we wanted him to park the Bug on. After 3 signatures on the paperwork he was away. Within 2 hours we were back at the rally campsite in our daily driver.

Being sat on a bridge very close to the M20, the noise was pretty high and the most difficult part of the whole process was seeing my phone screen in the bright sunshine, and hearing what the chap (Connor, at AutoAid) was saying. It took a few seconds to identify me from my home address, and a few more to identify the car from the registration. Then he had the make as "Webster" - "What's that, it's not on my list?" "Umm, well the nearest thing is a Reliant" - Ah yes, I've got Reliant - that'll do". The rest was telling me the truck would be with me between 'now' and 2.35pm. Later I got a call from the drver to tell me he was just setting off to meet me, and he arrived at around 2.45.

For all that, I paid £43.

Chris

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:13 pm

that sounds really great but I'd I failed to convince SWAMBO . . . . ..

in our case went on line and got a price from Brittania (which was about £120) then on phone to the AA and they matched it (well they came close and I was going to agree and Mrs said 'no' tell them we need more discount :shock: )

and we did get the price down further, but not as far as £60!!!

, still think it's a terrible way to run a business but they rely on folk with 'auto-renewal' on Direct Debit?

so next year we'll see

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:52 pm

What's a SWAMBO?? :lol:

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:56 pm

turbster wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:52 pm
She Who Always Must Be Obeyed..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:50 pm

philhoward wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:56 pm
turbster wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:52 pm
She Who Always Must Be Obeyed..
Seriously?? Luckily I lack experience of this, as such a thing doesn't appear to have reached Yorkshire yet!! And to be fair, if that was the case I'd be keeping very quite about it as it just makes me think someones married to Hyacinth Bouquet :lol: :lol:

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

GeoffTE
RSSOC Member

Post by GeoffTE » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:03 pm

roymck wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:31 pm
Just renewed my RAC membership , was £126 , now £168 , rang them told them I was leaving and now £116 for 15 months .
It pays to haggle
Similar for me only a bit better. I've been with the RAC for 25 years. Renewal this year £156 up from £122 last year. Rang to say I'm leaving, immediately reduced to £126 for 15 months. Still said I'm leaving. Hold on I'll speak to my manager. Came back with " in view of your long membership and loyalty, further reduced to £79 . Oh ok then I'll stay for now :roll: :D

Geoff. (5324)
SE5 (SAR), Lotus Elise S2, ( now sold :-( ), 1965 Lotus Elan S2, Ford Kuga 2 AWD
The older I get the better I was!

scimmy_man
RSSOC Member

Post by scimmy_man » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:42 pm

I had a similar conversation with the rac last year, member since 1980 (year i bought my first scim) I still left them,
best they would do was about £120, not claimed for about 6 years.

I went to Autoaid,

I've taken a vow of poverty ...... Annoy me by sending me money!!

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”