funny thing about this place

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:17 pm

GeeeWhiz AJL

The comments I listed were from others about others.............NOT directed or about me

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:24 pm

I'm having a problem understanding your question - why should people remove themselves from a forum they no longer post on?
ronnie wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:50 am
Club members are automatically Forum members....
That's incorrect.
ronnie wrote:
Lets concentrate on the 2663 members who, like me, are not club members but are real live beings. Some might still have an interest in Reliants.
Okay - and your point is......?
ronnie wrote:
I'm just curious as to how so many can be still on the books but have moved on for whatever reason without the Forum membership numbers keeping up to date.
Have you ever registered on a forum to find something out - and never been back there again? Many people do.

The question is - why does it matter?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:16 pm

I would appreciate Phil coming back to explain to this auld dafty what he meant -real people
"The number of members is accurate although not 100% of them will be real people"

What does it matter - It doesn't !!!

I'm just curious

Hope I've not offended anyone or have opened a can of worms by merely asking about numbers
Last edited by ronnie on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:18 pm

I'm a member of a number of car related forums and they all vary and yet all have similarities. I've registered on all I follow and yet some I only dip in and out a few times a year, others more regularly. I don't post anywhere near as much on here as I used to either.

I've always considered differences in forum styles to be a bit like differences in people. I speak in a different manner with my grandparents than I do around my parents and different again with the guys I grew up with and different to the compies I compete with.

We must remember that we were all new to scimitar at one time, and I think that those that have experience are generally happy to impart it on here free of charge and without the need for grovelling thanks, but a thank you goes a long way. Newbies should also be mindful that the collective on here don't read minds so carefully worded and detailed posts regarding their issue will likely get helpful responses. The knowledge base on here never ceases to amaze me :-)

I'm not sure thick skin is a pre requisite, I can't ever remember meeting a scimitar owner I disliked, the marque does attract nice people for sure, but as in day to life, face to face, daft or poorly phrased questions or impolite or fractious posts will get people's backs up. If people don't want help for free on here the alternative is to use a garage and pay of course, so a little perserverance does help I guess.

The banter thing is one that crops up from time to time and again this goes back to my original posts. Some on here I've known for years, split blood, beer and tears whilst working on scimitar together but the majority I don't know or have never met. When someone reads a post of mine to say Jim where he or I are being rather cutting in our response to one another that may be seen as one or both of us being rude, but thats not the case (to be fair Jim is rude, but I'm sweetness and light aren't I Jim :lol: ) but I can tell you now that you won't find a more helpful chap in scimitar land than Jim! He, and a good many others on here, have rescued more cars and helped more owners both new and old than you can imagine. That's why I tolerate Jim's ex Forces 'charm' as I do :lol: (luv ya Mr K xxx). Basically my point is, I don't see how people have the right to be offended by people they don't know or haven't met, a forum doesnt give a full enough picture of ones character to get the hump.
I think it would be a great shame where people don't post an offer of help or advice for fear of offending someone's overly sensitive nature. We are all adults and some days we have to wear our big boy pants, in life and on forums. The moderators and the club are the serve both the paid up club membership and those that don't pay and yet use the club's website forum for free, in the same manner. If you feel upset by another forum user, my advice is sleep on it, and if you still feel the same PM a moderator or Fourm Admin, they will look into it and have a word if required (thankfully rarely needed).

When in forum conversation you cannot see or hear body language or inflection in the voice as you do face to face. The same words said with a cheeky grin or roll of the eyes in real life, would get a different response and yet forums don't have the luxury so it's it easy to be misconstrued.

AJL is bang on with other forums being much less friendly and some a little hard work, some I frequent fall into that category, but I suck it up and tolerate some of the base level forum etiquette to get the info i cant glean for free elsewhere, my choice of course.

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:22 pm

ronnie wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:16 pm

I'm just curious
Hope I've not offended you or anyone or have opened a can of worms by merely asking.

Can't see it Ronnie :-) looks spot on to me mate, always interesting read others opinions

I've tried for years to upset and offend Jim and haven't managed it, you'll have to try MUCH harder than that eh Jim :lol:

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:27 pm

You haven't upset or offended me - I'd tell you in words of one syllable if you had :D

I haven't criticised you that I can see? I did ask another question (3 actually), not with the intent to deflect but to try and better understand your question. I didn't think that you had posted this question which I'd previously answered by PM unless you were leading onto another point. It's not a can of worms, its life on the internet :D

The difference between 3663 registered users at the bottom of the board index page and 3662 if you go to 'members" in the drop down list at the top is interesting - one for Ian probably?

When Phil says some may not be "real people" he means they may be automated systems that electronically register on forums, usually with the intent of posting spam at some point.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:48 pm

Come on chaps......we are of that age that it really doesn't matter.
I get more stick from her indoors- she can cook- so I just grin and take it.

Edit:
My butler Robbie was listening in and interupted us to inform me that a filter can be applied in that every year he receives a request ' I am Not a Robot' which he has managed to side step.

Here is Robbie with my cook.
Last edited by ronnie on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:57 pm

I'm not sure if there's a behind the scenes analytics function on the forum, Ian would know and poss Jim or Phil? Whether it gives simply numbers of unique posters or whether it would give times per month per poster I don't know

I'd guess you are right though, about 300 regular (once or twice month ).

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:10 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:57 pm

I'd guess you are right though, about 300 regular (once or twice month ).
I'm all for 300 regular...............mmmmmmm
Dinner is served.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Before Admins approved every new member on the forum (as we do now), the occasional spambot or spam poster would get through, post details of the "genuwin Raybanns" or whatever, then we would clear out the junk posts, and delete the user/member. Some still exist as dormant accounts though - they slipped through the net many years ago and we work through them from time to time but if it takes 2 minutes per member, then that's 30 an hour which makes about 80-90 hours of work to sort them all out..

What you don't see is that for every new "real" member, we have normally declined another 20 suspect members.

I've not been at a PC today so not been able to try something from the members list - sorting by "Last Visited" date which might answer your question?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:16 pm

A few more stats from the members list:

266 members logged in this week (17-23 Sept)

A further 50 logged in the week before (10-16 Sept)

A further 52 the week before (3-9 Sept)

And 34 the week previous.

So as an example (because no-one has provided any other explanation of "actual forum membership") there's about 400 real humans that have logged in over the past 4 weeks.

Of course, that's not a true reflection of the number of active members, just because someone hasn't logged in for a month doesn't mean they should be removed from the membership database.

For example, stewb hasn't posted since May and hasn't logged in since July - but I can confirm he's a human because I met up with him on Wednesday :-)

Jim King

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Thanks for clarification Phil and Jim

How to SEPARATE THE WHEAT FROM THE CHAFF .
For clarity - I do not mean those folks who have joined and get enjoyment from just reading the posts but rather those who have actually left the scene years ago but remain as members on a list.

My estimate of 300 members might just be nearer the actuality given that dormant accounts are included in the 100% accuracy.

Statute of limitations and dormant accounts....
Does my suggestion have merit A round robin message (if possible) to all Forum members to confirm by a return reply (in a reasonable time) that they wish to remain on the list?
A non reply will be read as removed from the list.

I presume we are all on the same page here with the real members list are actually all live beings not ' automated systems that electronically register on forum' as Jim has mentioned.

Perhaps I do have OCD but hope you and others can see from my previous posts the "funny thing about this place"

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:35 am

I would totally oppose a round robin message to all registered members telling them their account will be deleted if they don't reply because (your words) "they're chaff". We're a friendly bunch and that doesn't seem friendly to me.

If you could think of a good reason for doing so it would be worth discussing further - but 10 months down the line, nothing.

Jim King

doncontrols
RSSOC Member

Post by doncontrols » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:54 am

Perhaps the solution is to not display the number of member on the site :D :D

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:27 am

scimjim wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:35 am
I would totally oppose a round robin message to all registered members telling them their account will be deleted if they don't reply because (your words) "they're chaff". We're a friendly bunch and that doesn't seem friendly to me.

If you could think of a good reason for doing so it would be worth discussing further - but 10 months down the line, nothing.
Here we go again Jim.....

Read my words
For clarity - I do not mean those folks who have joined and get enjoyment from just reading the posts but rather those who have actually left the scene years ago but remain as members on a list.

The chaff (perhaps I could have used a better description here just for you Jim) are those that have already left. LEFT and NEVER to be seen again or as you have mentioned - the computer generated members who are not live beings.

Nobody is chaff - all are welcome if they are still interested in this Reliant Forum.......I'd be offended if I received a message with that word but would be a big enough boy to comprehend that the Forum mods just wanted to update their records. (to keep me and you happy)

Does seem a shame that the discussion has deteriorated to this level after my 1 simple question. which was civil, simple to understand and appropriate under the title topic.
'Funny thing about this place'

Just curious

Are you still of the opinion the membership numbers are 100% accurate ?
(You did acknowledge a discrepancy)

I liked doncontrols post.....remove the numbers altogether ( now that is funny )

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”