Price guide for GTE SE6b

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Relianter

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by Relianter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:22 am

Does anyone have an idea of the price guide for the SE6b model?. I know the 5a and 6a generally range from a few hundred (project or resto, spares repair), to a decent condition with abit of TLC (around £1000 to £1800), then one in good order but not concourse (£2,000 to say £3,000), then fully restored/concourse up to 5 or 6 grand or higher. But I don't know much about the rarer 6b Cologne engined model.

Does blistering greatly affect the price (I suppose it depends how severe).

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:57 am

i would think that the value of the 2.8 is on par with the 6a if they are in similar condition/specification with a slight premium if it is one of the last made which were galvanised.
Don't under estimate the cost of repairing blistered paintwork properly. "needs a respray" seems to be standard text in the adverts for a lot of scims coming on the market... one of the main dealers recently quoted a local owner £10,000 for a respray :shock: yes it could be done for a lot less than that but three words which could result in a bill for thousands.

Geraint

Sabre ti, se5, GTC, 6b.......BMW Z3 3.0i

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

kevincooper
RSSOC Member

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by kevincooper » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:22 am

Do not under estimate the prices, they have been going up over the past few years, one that has no mot and requires full restoration is around £1000.00, one that has an mot, but requires reasonable amount of work around £2000.00 - 3000.00. A full restored should be selling in the region of £8000.00 - £10,000.00. It is owners selling the cars too cheap that are keeping the prices low. You ask the general public, they would pay two or even three times what a lot of owners are selling the cars for.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin Cooper
Chairman
Insurance Valuations Officer
DVLA Liaison Officer
GTC
SS1 1600
SE5a sprint car - Blue Dragon
SE5a waiting for restoration (Little Red Devil - Reg 666L)

Relianter

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by Relianter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Some good points. In my view, I think the reason why owners are selling their GTEs lower than what they're should be is because no one is going to buy the thing if it's not within a certain price range, ie £1500-2500. Most owners cant wait around forever trying to find someone who's willing to part with their (say if its a prestine restored example) 8 grand for a fibreglass Scimitar, especially if you're in a position to sell the thing asap due to lack space, etc. And besides, people always want a cheap bargain. At the end of the day Scimitars aren't Jensen Interceptors (aka rust buckets), they've been badly tarnished by the whole Reliant Robin stigma.

I wish I could find out if my dads 6b is one of the galvanised models (1983). If it is and they are sought after then the price I've advertised the car for should be justified, but there's the dreaded blistering. I've no idea how much work will be needed to get the blistering removed, if it requires a full respray or not. All I've had his a chap recently look at the car and offered about £1800 for it. No MOT on it at present, so I suppose its about right. It's certainly not a spares or repairs car.

I heard about a place in Yorkshire were they are fully booked and have a waiting lists of customers wanting resprays, and I think I the prices start from 3 grand (cough, cough). If restoring them is that expensive then a lot of blistered Scimitars may as well be scrapped. My dads previous 6a was taken to the beakers yard as the body was bubbling too much. A 3 grand respray was completely out of the question. Saying that, I spoke to a chap the other day who owns a fibreglass E -Type and he told me there are a few companies near to him who will come out and sort the blistering out for a few hundred quid.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:53 pm

"Tarnished by the Reliant Robin stigma". Would you care to enlarge on that strange statement?

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

*JP*

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by *JP* » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:13 pm

AJL Electronics wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:53 pm
"Tarnished by the Reliant Robin stigma". Would you care to enlarge on that strange statement?
It's just an opinion,and one that I happen to agree with to some extent.
Just because you deal in parts for the things doesn't make the opinion invalid.
This forum is dedicated to the 4 wheeled Reliants,so not the right place to start a pointless argument on the subject,I think.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Bear in mind that the Scimitars would never have been born if it were not for the popularity of the economy range cars. Your personal (unfounded) prejudice is not going to change that fact.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

*JP*

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by *JP* » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:45 pm

AJL Electronics wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:21 pm
Bear in mind that the Scimitars would never have been born if it were not for the popularity of the economy range cars. Your personal (unfounded) prejudice is not going to change that fact.
Nothing to do with whether the image and market price of Scimitars/Sabres/SS cars are or are not depressed by association with what you call the economy cars.It may or may not be the case,impossible to prove one way or the other.

I don't deal in parts for the economy cars,you do,so might it be you who is rather prejudiced in their favour?

Your previous post signalled strongly that you were looking for an argument,I'm not,but carry on if you want.

However,before doing so you may wish to reflect as to whether appearing abrasive and argumentative on here is the best way of promoting your business interests.

Relianter

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by Relianter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:18 pm

I think Scimitars are great cars and are great value compared to other classics which are known to be complete rust buckets. I've mentioned the possibility of rising values to people who are familiar with the model and they state they don't think they will rise. Scimitars were fetching more or less the same money as they were 20 yrs ago. You couldn't even pick up an MGB or VW Beetle for the money most GTEs are being sold for. And who wants a rust bucket Beetle or MGB that were made in the many thousands (the Beetle numbers must have been in the millions).

Datsundrew

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by Datsundrew » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:32 pm

" If restoring them is that expensive then a lot of blistered Scimitars may as well be scrapped. My dads previous 6a was taken to the beakers yard as the body was bubbling too much. A 3 grand respray was completely out of the question."
I really don't get why some scimitar owners have this issue! Maintain it, enjoy it, and get over it. Rub it down and hand paint it with rustolium if you must, but why think that's if it's not pristine and shiny that it's scrap?
Other clubs wholly embrace their club members with whatever car they roll, and that often attracts younger members who can only afford to keep the car on the road, and not necessarily shiny show stoppers. These young members often go on to earn more money and create stunning cars. Shiny, original, big money snobbery will kill the scimitar following. I am fully restoring mine, galvanised chassis , different engine etc, but it'll never be on a club stand as it's not shiny enough and has blisters, so not good enough. I don't care as it'll be reliable, safe, and fun daily driver. For me that's what classics are about, using them and enjoying them. We run 6 classics, and yes they are not perfect to look at, but they are out there and inspiring future potential owners.

Relianter

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by Relianter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 pm

I'm actually in favour of keeping them running and enjoying them for what they're meant for, which is to be driven. I hate it when there so many overly prestine, super show looking classics out there that just attend the odd show or meet yet never get used for what they were originally intended for, not even used at the weekends.

I must admit that the previous GTE had a few more issues than just the body, not sure exactly as it was a long time ago, but the bodywork was getting to a point where it likely needed some major work on it. It's a pity, looking back, that it couldn't have just been sold as a spares/repairs project rather than resort to having it scrapped, but that would've been a bit of a hassle and we needed space for another car at the time. The Essex from it is now sitting in my dads E-Type Jag kit car (no its not one of those Challengers which are fetching 40 grand, wish it was though). Even the E-Type has some small blisters, yet the paint job was said to be a top job. There was no sign of it when it was bought, but it's started to appear. Does blistering just magically appear?:-).

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by scimjim » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Datsundrew wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:32 pm
Other clubs wholly embrace their club members with whatever car they roll, and that often attracts younger members who can only afford to keep the car on the road, and not necessarily shiny show stoppers. These young members often go on to earn more money and create stunning cars. Shiny, original, big money snobbery will kill the scimitar following.
You've jumped from "some owners" to the whole RSSOC in one easy (and wholly undeserved) leap :D

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Datsundrew

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by Datsundrew » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Well, you get the idea! :D Having been a member of 5 different clubs, you get a good idea of the way the members of the club (who are the club?) view their cars and other members. I've been in volvo, VW,Datsun, Land Rover and scimitar. Out of those 5, 2 of them have a VERY unbiased, carefree attitude to their cars and members and a huge following. I'll let you guess the rest :D

Pommy
RSSOC Member

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by Pommy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Datsundrew, pull your neck on buddy. Have a gander through the gallery, you'll find most aren't pristine, but loved and those that are in 1st class condition are rightly lauded by their owners. Pommy

Pommy
1973 Se5a Auto

rebel alliance

Price guide for GTE SE6b

Post by rebel alliance » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:53 pm

Hrmm starts off as a price guide question,turns into the usual sunday pointless argument,oh dear 😕

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”