North American Scimitars

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

canadascimdarren

North American Scimitars

Post by canadascimdarren » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:09 pm

Hi

Feel free to add to this index if you own or know of a Scimitar in your State/Province. It would be nice to get a feel for how many made it accross the pond.

Me:

Darren James
1969 Scimitar SE5 restoration project
South East Manitoba, Canada

alyn

Post by alyn » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:24 pm

Hi Darren - I've just sent off a complete set of SS1 manuals to a chap in Halifax, Nova Scotia!

Alyn Ashworth
RSSOC Merchandise.

Olaboy808

Going back to the states

Post by Olaboy808 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:36 am

Hi there, I'm currently in Norfolk, and will be jumping the pond in October. I will be taking the "Cookie Monster" with me as well. If anyone has any info on Scimitar enthusiasts in the states, that would be great. I'll be moving to central California. Hopefully, I can obtain a new motor for it before I head out.

1976 SE6b GTE "Cookie Monster"
2004 Honda CBR1000RR

canadascimdarren

update

Post by canadascimdarren » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:17 am

canadascimdarren wrote: 'update'

Darren James:

1987 Scimitar SS1 1800Ti lhd roadworthy
1969 Scimitar SE5 restoration project

South East Manitoba, Canada

78Scimitar

Re: North American Scimitars

Post by 78Scimitar » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:43 pm

I am located in New York State(Hudson Valley). 1978 Scimitar GTE(Orange) V-6, auto trans.

Bob

Coco La Blanc

Post by Coco La Blanc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Hiya,
Keep flying the Flag for our little old plastic cars - they deserve a better reception !
How are the Scimmies looked upon in your foreign climes ? Olaboy, my bruv is a science Professor in mid California and he loves it there. I'd love to move out there and I've got just a few Scimmies that would ensure I could join the Classic boys ;~}
Regards,
Viv

John TN

Post by John TN » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Just brought an SE5a into Tennessee. Dealing with vapor locking problem in 97F heat right now then hopefully will be up and running.

Coco La Blanc

Post by Coco La Blanc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:00 pm

John,
Post some piccies of engine bay, specifically petrol pipes feed/return(?). You should have a large thick 'heat shield' Gasket, approx. 3/16"-1/4" between Mechanical fuel pump and Timing Cover ?
Regards,
Viv

John TN

Post by John TN » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Viv,

Thanks. I'll take a look. Drove the car in the UK no problem but picked it up in Charleston in the middle of a heat wave and ran into serious fuel starvation issues. Drove from Charleston to Tennessee ( a little less than 400 miles) by removing the bonnet , carrying it separately and letting some air circulate around the engine compartment. Fortunately it wasn't raining. I have had trouble with every Engish car I have driven in the South in summer with vapor locking if the car has a mechanical fuel pump. I think the insistence in the USA on adding up to 10% Ethanol to petrol is not helping.We are going to eliminate the problem by installing an electric pump at the tank end of the line. I'll report on how well it works.

John

Coco La Blanc

Post by Coco La Blanc » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:14 pm

John,
Plus an auto-cut off switch as well - I hope !!!
I used to pull a 26' Caravan for approx. 10 years with both my 72 5a and my wife's 80 6a and had no problems with overheating (cept once when the Head gasket went on my 5a) mainly due to getting the cooling system back to the way Ford had designed it (instead of Reliant's version) however I also included a denser competition Rad and increased the coolant capacity by around 2-3 pints in both cars and altered the 6a to be a pressured system as per my 5a. I think, apart from adding the better rad, the best improvement came after persevering with ensuring that the water jacket and Heater matrix was absolutely free of crud/core plugs and sediment. I do like the idea of installing an inline water fiter, as one of the guys has done, and thereby ensuring that the system is kept clean. By ensuring the engine is cooled quicker then fuel evaporation will/should be less prevalent.
Regards,
Viv

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:31 pm

Methanol does make it evaoprate a lot quicker - so an electric pump would help a lot.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

John TN

Post by John TN » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:47 pm

Electric pump worked wonders. Fuel starvation is a thing of the past but underbonnet temperature is still something of an issue. Raised the rear of the bonnet by maybe 1/4 inch which lets some air out without being aesthetically nasty. This heatwave is a real test for the cooling in general and we still have a little to do. If the temperaure outside stays below 90 ( fahrenheit - sorry!) we appear to be good to go but the system gets a little stressed at 95 with 90% humidity!

The fan expired which has given me the incentive to put on a 14 inch modern unit. I realise this is treating the symptom rather than the disease but every little bit helps. Doing that today, we'll see how it goes.

Took the car to a local European which we organize annually. Ill prepared as it was it got a lot of attention. Reaction generally has been very positive. It's hard to pull up for gas without having an impromptu car show.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:36 pm

given those extremes I think an uprated radiator and fan would be essential along with the electric fuel pump, crash switch and probably air con too :mrgreen:

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

John TN

Post by John TN » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:31 am

Jim,

I've pretty much covered all of that territory now except for the upgraded radiator and the A/C (which I think we'll tough it out without). We're getting toward the upgraded radiator but I'm having the current one professionally cleaned out before giving up on it. Overall we are nearly there.I can run the interstate without overheating provided I am sensible about speed but driving in the mountains is just little too much. In fairness we are having an unprecedented heatwave and a lot of cars are suffering, not to mention people!

John

hendrix

Post by hendrix » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:21 pm

hello america, just to let you in on the english temperature curently very cold day -3 tonight , anyway hello from essex england i also bought an se5 just starting to work on it .waiting for afuel tank to arrive let you no how i get on.

Return to “America”