SST in NZ

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

martyn

SST in NZ

Post by martyn » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:42 am

Finally I can confirm all the prevaricating and hesitancy has gone and SST chassis 13 was landed in Christchurch just before Xmas and now lives in Nelson.
There was a worry initially when we emigrated that the SST wouldn't be allowed in, declined at the border or worse still destroyed at my cost because of (particularly) lack of airbags and being unable to prove compliance with the front end impact regs down here in NZ. Due to me working in China at the time of emigration the decision was made reluctantly to leave it in the UK - languishing in a stable in Cornwall for nearly 4 years until it was shipped mid October.
Fortunately due to a rule change by the NZTA it was allowed in - due to it now being 20 years old and considered a 'vehicle of special interest'
Main problem on import was that the steam cleaning at the border entry bio security was very aggressive, took all of the wax off the car and wrecked the leads and distributor cap - it'll probably mean a respray at some time. It's now running how I remembered leaving it in October 2007.
Apart from cosmetics, a broken driving lamp lens and a bit of water ingress it's generally ok.
Many thanks to Mark Fraser and Phil Howard for assistance over the last years.
Next step is compliancing and registration which will cost around $700 including 6months road licence.
Insurance will need to be sorted but I've been offered $102 for fully comprehensive with an agreed value of $8500 with a promise not to use it for commuting to work.
I have loads of photos and sometime will attempt a retrospective project progress.
Look forward to seeing you all in Napier at Queen's birthday weekend, work permitting.

geoffp67

Re: SST in NZ

Post by geoffp67 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:58 am

great news, and bargain insurance too. Your car must now be the one furthest-from-home ?

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: SST in NZ

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:38 pm

Well done Martyn, welcome to the forum, and I look forward to reading the project thread. :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Return to “Australia and New Zealand”