Morning commute fight!

Here you can post your technical nightmares and other scary encounters with technology.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

MikeyBikey

Morning commute fight!

Post by MikeyBikey » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:00 pm

Last year I had an old boy cross the white lane lines and ram the side of my car on a roundabout. He then got out, blamed me and drove off. Took his number, police etc etc but a lot of hassle.
I also had the scimitar bumper ripped off whilst I was shopping, never found out who or how.

I now have a dash cam fitted and on all the time. Just a basic one from Tesco’s but does the job. It’s got a large memory card so stores hours and hours in 3 min chunks. It’s almost become like a seat belt. It has to be on or I’m bothered

Is we sideways yet...

scimitargtc
RSSOC Member

Morning commute fight!

Post by scimitargtc » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:55 pm

Keep calm and carry on (living) :D

1979 se6a auto pas 3.0v6 (unnamed) sold after 22 years 2019.
1998 Range Rover 4.6 v8 auto (unnamed)
2016 Nissan QashQai 1.6 Tekna CVT dci ("Quentin")
2019 Skoda Cititgo MPI SEL Greentech ("Clyde")
Space for 5 more! Money for none!!

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Morning commute fight!

Post by gtcse8 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:13 am

Good on you for responding to the headbutt Manny. :boxer:

Been there a few times and wish I could have reacted better myself, including one where I got a black eye by an ex para who did nearly the same as the 2wat that Phil came across, but he followed me and pounced after I had parked outside work at Michaels of Selby so had plenty of witnesses, needles to say he was prosecuted, even made the papers.

About dashcams, in the last year I have been hit and run Twice in Keighley.
I`m now in the process of fitting one that also has impact sensors to my everyday motor.

There is a local lorry driver who posts on youtube just how bad it is around here, look for f**kwits on youtube, his choice of name, not mine :shock: and it`s an eye opener as to just how bad the roadcraft is around here, some say it`s worse than being in a third world country. :w

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry: SE5a`s, GTC, SE6b`s, Triumph Daytona, Honda CB750 K7. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup RELIANT SCIMITAR V8 CONVERSION & billy no mates, Single Rat

manny
RSSOC Member

Morning commute fight!

Post by manny » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:31 am

gtcse8 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:13 am
Good on you for responding to the headbutt Manny. :boxer:

Been there a few times and wish I could have reacted better myself, including one where I got a black eye by an ex para who did nearly the same as the 2wat that Phil came across, but he followed me and pounced after I had parked outside work at Michaels of Selby so had plenty of witnesses, needles to say he was prosecuted, even made the papers.

About dashcams, in the last year I have been hit and run Twice in Keighley.
I`m now in the process of fitting one that also has impact sensors to my everyday motor.

There is a local lorry driver who posts on youtube just how bad it is around here, look for f**kwits on youtube, his choice of name, not mine :shock: and it`s an eye opener as to just how bad the roadcraft is around here, some say it`s worse than being in a third world country. :w
the chap was expecting me to be scared , i really don't want to describe him...but he did have a few gold teeth, earrings , shaved head and stocky build, i will leave the rest to the readers imagination!...i think his look was enough to deter most people and no doubt his 'look' has probably worked before at intimidating folks...
I just remained calm...i really wish someone captured the whole thing...
I bought a Bitmore Wifi 4K cam ( posted a pic in the 'cars that you saw') it does not have G-sensor , but going to install it later today..

will check out the youtube....

Ta

Manny

manny
RSSOC Member

Morning commute fight!

Post by manny » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:28 pm

Good day

Well the chap has made a claim against me...but provided no evidence or witnesses...despite my insurance company asking since last Sept.
They told me today that he is pursuing a claim in the small claims court!...Judge Judy style.
At a guess he is probably going for physical injuries..my insurance company have said they will defend the claim and cover all costs...not sure what to expect

Ta

Manny

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Morning commute fight!

Post by swoakes » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:01 pm

Regarding dash cams....I cant understand why manufacturers are not fitting them now as most cars have cameras front and rear anyway.

Is there a reason :?:

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

Stevecoulsin
RSSOC Member

Morning commute fight!

Post by Stevecoulsin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:27 am

I suspect because the laws surrounding their use vary so much between countries. I think it is banned to have them installed in Austria while in other countries you can have them but just not use them. Can imagine a bit of minefield for manufacturers selling over the world.

Steve Coulson, MB66, previously 1973 SE5a & 1976 SE6a, TVR Tasmin, Spitfire Mk III, Beta, Scirocco GTX, Mini Clubman.

siw1800

Morning commute fight!

Post by siw1800 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:09 am

manny wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:28 pm
Good day

Well the chap has made a claim against me...but provided no evidence or witnesses...despite my insurance company asking since last Sept.
They told me today that he is pursuing a claim in the small claims court!...Judge Judy style.
At a guess he is probably going for physical injuries..my insurance company have said they will defend the claim and cover all costs...not sure what to expect

Ta

Manny
I guess this means you will put in an insurance claim for the damage now? Also. I am sure you have a stiff neck from the butt and have had sleepless nights, so one of those no win no fee companies should expect your call? And as red fades so badly, I guess the car will need a complete respray to match the original colour and put all the close gaps back to perfect, where they were prior to the accident.

I believe this is known as sc*ew the F**ker into the ground!

MGB - Gone
Daimler SP250 - Gone
SE5a - Gone
Sabre Turbo - Gone
Euro Box Estate - Gone
Rover 25 1.4IL - Gone
Company Astra Turbo Diesel Van Gone
Peugeot 307 CC HDI
Mazda MX5 - When Mother replaces it! - Went to the scrap yard in the sky
Company Peugeot Partner Van

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Morning commute fight!

Post by swoakes » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:23 am

Stevecoulsin wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:27 am
I suspect because the laws surrounding their use vary so much between countries. I think it is banned to have them installed in Austria while in other countries you can have them but just not use them. Can imagine a bit of minefield for manufacturers selling over the world.
Makes sense but they could be an option on a new car (not available where these devices are banned)

Are any new cars fitted with dash cams :?: ; been a while since I looked at new cars....

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

Rattling
RSSOC Member

Morning commute fight!

Post by Rattling » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:37 am

Surely on the forthcoming driverless cars dash cams will be mandatory or how will insurance companies seek to evade paying up ! You could argue that there's quite a few driverless car on the road at the moment :D Manny I hope all goes well for you 👍

Colin

1800 Ti

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Morning commute fight!

Post by scimjim » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:03 am

Tesla’s use the front and side cameras as “dash cams” if you plug a USB stick in - can also record when the car’s switched off.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “I managed to do this”