Coupe door quaterlight seals

PLEASE ONLY start a NEW topic if you have a specific part that hasn't got a topic already, and that you need and cannot get hold of through Club Traders. Make the topic name clear (Model and Part details). Anyone else also wanting that part should add a message to the topic.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:45 pm

I've got a pair of 5a 1/4 light rubbers somewhere Andrew, if I can find them I'll post them down. We need to find a reasonably priced supplier/manufacturer for these things.

I didn't think 4a/b/c doors were different? Steve A is probably best placed to confirm - or the spotter that is Greenly :D

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:51 pm

I was under the impression that Coupe and SE5 doors were the same.

Aren't you the one with the parts lists, Jim? Are they the same number?

Matt should be able to tell, having a 5a and a Coupe!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

ScimitarMatt
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimitarMatt » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:38 am

No pressure then lads!!!

As far as I know, the coupe has a slightly different door top because the windscreen is at a slightly more raked angle (i.e. not as steep as that of a 5a).

I only found this out as I bought some good chrome door tops with fixed quarterlights as spares for the Coupe (in case they are buggered - technical term) and was told that they were no good as they are 5a door tops.

If you need me to, I can probably offer the loose door tops up against both the coupe and the 5a and see if this theory is correct (it should be though as I'm sure Peter Freeman told me and he knows his onions, sorry, bananas). If you need me to compare and contrast it might have to wait a while as the door tops are in one garage, the coupe in another about 3 miles away and the 5a has to whizz between the two.

Right then, anorak off, it's time for bed, night night children

http://www.scimitargt.co.uk
RSSOC Coupe Registrar & Press Officer
coupe.registrar@rssoc.co.uk

PLEASE NO PM'S, EMAIL ME

'64 SE4, '70 SE4b,'75 SE5a, & Yvonnes SS1 Ti

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:44 am

The door frames of the SE4 range and the SE5 are different - in construction at least.

I believe the angle of the frame is different too - and I have the frames for each off the respective doors - so I can lay one over the other.

Why does Coupe' man have all this - well the door shells are the same - so I have butchered some SE5 doors instead of damaging the nice fitting doors on the sprint car !

All for weight saving - you will be supprised how much those quarter light assemblies weigh .

Cheers

Steve

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

andrewcollins
RSSOC Member

Post by andrewcollins » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:17 pm

What I've been advised is that the doors are the same and that the quarterlights are the same, but that the door frames are different.
Coupe door frames drop back down towards the back of the door where SE5 ones don't.

Not that I've ever been able to verify it.

I'll look to make some tentative enquiries and report back .....

Andrew

6sabre

Post by 6sabre » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:49 pm

I can confirm that the coupe and 5 chrome door frames are different. The door glass is different. I believe the doors maybe the same on the 5 but the 5a may be different around the outer door handles. Also of course the inner door 'panel' varies.
Has anyone looked at the MGB '1/4 light rubber inserts, the setup is very similar. I looked the the MGB pedestal rubbers when restoring my yellow coupe, not quite the right shape but the whole setup is very similar. I suspect Reliant didnt manufacture their own. Have to have a 'sad' look at that detail on other cars at the next classic show I go to!!

I fitted the Don Pither 1/4 light replacement kit. This was one piece of flat glass cut too shape and few pieces of seal to go around the frame. Not very scientific but it removed that weakness. I sealed the gaps with dum dum but the black polyurethane would be better. If you swap the frames side to side, then the mounting lug holes are hidden on the inside by the door seal when closed.

Steve J

mermar74

Re: Coupe door quaterlight seals

Post by mermar74 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:36 am

It has been some time since any posting on this thread, and I am still desperately searching for these Coupe' front door quarter light seals. Has any progress been made in identifying the original donor car that used these seals, or in remanufacturing ? Over the past 3 years I have studied several quarter vents on different cars from the Coupe' era but still cannot identify.

teecee
RSSOC Member

Post by teecee » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Hi I am in the process of restoring my 1968 V6 Coupe and require 1/4 light seals and also the frame to door seal underneath the 1/4 light. Can anybody help please as these parts are needed asap whilst everything is in bits. Will even consider good second-hand if no new or re manufactured are available.
Thanks

Tim C

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:33 pm

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9768 For all you need to know!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Return to “Parts Re-Manufacture Requests”