New Paint Repair System or new body shell

PLEASE ONLY start a NEW topic if you have a specific part that hasn't got a topic already, and that you need and cannot get hold of through Club Traders. Make the topic name clear (Model and Part details). Anyone else also wanting that part should add a message to the topic.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Re: New Paint Repair System or new body shell

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Ive seen loads of gel finished kit cars and its easy to see why most people end up painting them! Quantum were good, used to be based locally to me before being sold, and they did a lot of moulding for other kitcar manufacturers as they had a decent standard.
Im sure Phil can produce them to the required standard but as you say, they would be build to order

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:56 pm

This afternoon, and before I saw this thread, I was driving along in my 5a and thinking what fantastic value for money these cars represent. Performance, parts availability and good looks all on a budget. And maybe that's the problem, it's almost like at the moment we can have our cake and eat it.

It's as though Scimitars are a well kept secret and we're the ones who have been lucky enough to have seen the light but unless we have step change towards better recognition we'll never be the belle of the ball.

Hence I think we need this investment of ideas and resources that the club and the likes of Phil is introducing to ensure the marque not only survives but thrives and gains the recognition it deserves
Last edited by MikeyBikey on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Owner of a fantastic se5a (nee 5 speed) that's a bit quick (well, feels like it is!!) and now running on lpg
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8036
And is now going sprinting viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24376

DarrylWebb

Post by DarrylWebb » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Aye. Under the Wooldridge brothers, they were based in Stourbridge. I had heard claims they did the Ultima bodyshells. Is that true?
I remember them doing panels for Matbro construction equipment then I think they realised their real skill. Sorry, off on a nostalgic tangent.

Scimega: Project X30XE Pro-Touring Scimitar

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:05 pm

Im sure they did Ultimas panels at some point, although maybe not currently. Think they made forecourt 'totem pole' signage and all sorts iirc. Usedto pass the factory regularly and stil see a few quantums on local roads

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Who would not like a lighter and stiffer body for a a GTE, it is the amount of work changing it over and the lack of facilities that would put me off. I also know snails that are faster than me, they ate my new roses in the few days it has been raining and it took me days just to remove a bumper :roll:

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Scimitars Biggest Fan
Resto viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3377 Just for Geoff ;-)

sciminut

Post by sciminut » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:15 am

Craig

Quantum are only about 5 miles away from us, the Guy that bought them Mark Burley "MB Motorsport" is a good friend of mine... We may be making panels for them as I commented how rough they were Opps! Foot in mouth but it is resulting in a good collaboration on the engineering side aswell (He also has a rolling rd ) so this is good for set up etc

Phil

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:43 am

MikeyBikey wrote: It's as though Scimitars are a well kept secret and we're the ones who have been lucky enough to have seen the light but unless we have step change towards better recognition we'll never be the belle of the ball.

Hence I think we need this investment of ideas and resources that the club and the likes of Phil is introducing to ensure the marque not only survives but thrives and gains the recognition it deserves
I think you've nailed it in one, Mikey...and hopefully its Phils work is what gives us that step change.. :D

Knowing the quality of the bits Phil is making, I suspect his gelcoat finish will be identical to a paint finish...

If I had a car that needed a fair chunk of bodywork (repairs and paint) then i'd be in the queue for a brand new body, ready "coloured" at that money. I suspect (as Roger mentioned) with a body finish that good then you would only need paint applying if you did want a metallic? That cuts the cost of the respray down considerably. Consider that £2.5k would only buy you a couple of weeks of fibreglass body prep at bodyshop rates..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:53 am

Question, what woudl be happening to the originally steel reinforced areas? Would the same construction still be employed, or would some new space age tech be involved...?!

Philip Andrew.
'84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: Too many!

sciminut

Post by sciminut » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi Philip

Yes we have devloped a replacement for the steel bars used, our pultruded rebar is 40% less weight 60% stronger than steel, although you can bend it 170 Degrees it will not fracture and recovers to original shape (we are developing coil springs in this materials)

High surface area was designed to bond well in composites and concrete for sea walls and bridges etc

Does no rot like the old steel sections and has the same expansion rate as the body see pics below

Phil :)
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (100.77 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
001.JPG
001.JPG (99.32 KiB) Viewed 1581 times

DarrylWebb

Post by DarrylWebb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:34 pm

On reinforcement sections, I thought it was the shape of the reinforcing section rather than the steel/aluminium/whatever that provided the strength. I had imagined a triangular cross-section in GRP would provide the strength along the sill. Am I wrong (probably again) ?
Last edited by DarrylWebb on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarrylWebb

Post by DarrylWebb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:41 pm

sciminut wrote:Craig

Quantum are only about 5 miles away from us, the Guy that bought them Mark Burley "MB Motorsport" is a good friend of mine... We may be making panels for them as I commented how rough they were Opps! Foot in mouth but it is resulting in a good collaboration on the engineering side aswell (He also has a rolling rd ) so this is good for set up etc

Phil
Just to clarify the Quantum tangent, Quantum Sportscars formed under the Wooldridge brothers operated in Stourbridge, West Midlands. When they realised their future was in GRP fabrication, they sold off Quantum Sportscars to a customer who moved the operation south and concentrated on traditional models rather than the GRP monocoques. The Wooldridge boys formed Quantum Mouldings concentrating on composites work.
It sounds like the Sportscars business has been moved on again.

I just wanted to defend the original Wooldridge product :-)

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:51 pm

In the case of the sills, I think its moreso to add body support before it gets attached to the chassis. As for others (door hinge plate, handbrake reinforcement) then probably moreso additional strength.

That rebar is something else though in terms of strength having seen a piece..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:58 pm

thats what i sort of understood too. The kit car market was less lucrative and the market appreciated the quality of the mouldings far less, than their commercial customer base.

I dont know MB Motorsport Phil, unless its the guy that ran a V8 quantum extreme on sprints and hills, used to see the car at various events. Good to hear your wares are being appreciated by someone in the kit car market!

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:18 pm

I know that I spent si££y money paying for the body restoration of a mk2 jag and then we went to court because it wasn't as expected. If I was in the market for a gte refresh and I had the option of a prepared body, £2.5 k is very reasonable

Owner of a fantastic se5a (nee 5 speed) that's a bit quick (well, feels like it is!!) and now running on lpg
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8036
And is now going sprinting viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24376

AllingtonGT
RSSOC Member

Post by AllingtonGT » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:10 pm

Phil,
Presumably your new bodies could be vinyl wrapped and re-wrapped should the mood require? I'm guessing the material is whole lot more stable than old glass fibre and won't be susceptible to micro-blistering?
Geoff

Return to “Parts Re-Manufacture Requests”