GTE SE6A Import Difficulties

Discussions relating to registration issues

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

expat2000

Re: GTE SE6A Import Difficulties

Post by expat2000 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:45 am

erikscimitardemon wrote:Norway at its best :cry: :w

As far as I know, Alf Torp only imported his SS1 (ex Peter F) to Norway, with a SVA type approval. So not a normal/full registration (at least that is what I made of it). His GT still is on UK plates as far as I know.
You could contact Kjetil Asland. He is a contact person for the NSK for Scimitars. What I understood from him, is most owners (Scim and non-Scim) go the SVA route, because it saves a lot of time and problems.

For importing a Scimitar to the Netherlands, we do not have any problems at all. Our DVLA eq., the RDW, has all the Scimitar details on file. Most models were imported officially in the days. So the RDW only has to check their own files. Most testing stations are friendly towards classic cars. So over here we are very lucky.

Again already been in touch with Kjetil as well.

Agreed that most scim owners (i.e. all of them) seem to have their cars on the "Bevaringsverdig kjøretøy" scheme, this translates as "Conservation worthy vehicle". I did consider this but it means that you are strictly limited on use, technically you can only use it in situations where you are not a danger to other road users i.e. occasional weekend use and to and from shows, track days etc. It specificaly rules out daily use. This also means that you can only get classic car insurance which again limits the mileage and use. Because the winters here are so harsh they take a dim view of use after October until April.

As the main point of importing my car is to use it as my daily driver I am persueing the "standard" registration which will give me full rights to use it as I wish. I am still on my UK plates and all import duties have been paid so I have a bit of time to play with it's just a bit frustrating. I'll also admit I'm at the pig-headed stage now where I am determined to get it done.

Just received an email from MIRA that they do not hold any such information so have mailed them back pictures showing MIRA crash testing the SE6. Have to keep poking the hornets nest to get a reaction.

Stuart

Living in Oslo without my 1977 SE6A GTE, car was successfully imported and registered then sold as couldn't afford to run it. Now driving a 1998 Audi A4 Estate diesel.

expat2000

Post by expat2000 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:48 am

erikscimitardemon wrote:For importing a Scimitar to the Netherlands, we do not have any problems at all. Our DVLA eq., the RDW, has all the Scimitar details on file. Most models were imported officially in the days. So the RDW only has to check their own files. Most testing stations are friendly towards classic cars. So over here we are very lucky.
Erik,

I don't suppose the details I am looking for such as noise levels and axle loads are recorded on your dutch registration documents are they? The Norwegian authorities may accept a scanned copy of an official dutch registration.

Stuart

Living in Oslo without my 1977 SE6A GTE, car was successfully imported and registered then sold as couldn't afford to run it. Now driving a 1998 Audi A4 Estate diesel.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:51 am

There will hopefully be the magic sticker under the bonnet somewhere with a series of "e" numbers, about 2" square from memory which shows the vehicle did meet the necessary legislation at the time. Whether or not that will suffice, I don't know...

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

expat2000

Post by expat2000 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:02 pm

philhoward wrote:There will hopefully be the magic sticker under the bonnet somewhere with a series of "e" numbers, about 2" square from memory which shows the vehicle did meet the necessary legislation at the time. Whether or not that will suffice, I don't know...

I'll take a look this evening, I am not too hopeful as the car was resprayed in the early nineties and had a full body off restoration in March 2000. If it's not present then I could use the information though. Just have to get a picture/scan from another SE6A of the same spec.

Stuart

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:20 pm

expat2000 wrote: Erik,

I don't suppose the details I am looking for such as noise levels and axle loads are recorded on your dutch registration documents are they? The Norwegian authorities may accept a scanned copy of an official dutch registration.

Stuart
What has been done before is this: Get a document equiv. to a CoC. I know Geert van Hout did provide some documents to owners on the continent. E.g. in France. You could try to contact him. His contact details are in slice. And he is on this board too. And also on the yahoo group. I think he is on vacation at the moment.

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

expat2000

Post by expat2000 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Erik

Thanks for the tip, I have sent him a PM so fingers crossed he may be able to help me when he gets back from his vacation.

Stuart

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:07 pm

expat2000 wrote:
philhoward wrote:There will hopefully be the magic sticker under the bonnet somewhere with a series of "e" numbers, about 2" square from memory which shows the vehicle did meet the necessary legislation at the time. Whether or not that will suffice, I don't know...

I'll take a look this evening, I am not too hopeful as the car was resprayed in the early nineties and had a full body off restoration in March 2000. If it's not present then I could use the information though. Just have to get a picture/scan from another SE6A of the same spec.

Stuart
Here's what it looks like on a '79 Se6a auto (from memory I think the man-o/d one was the same, but half of it has flaked off now, and you can only see the top 3 rows, these at least are the same). You can just see the VIN plate at the top of the picture.
Codes-sticker.jpg

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

haddock

Post by haddock » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Norway is not in the european union, I think, so strictly speaking they have nothing to do with E numbers.

See you, haddock.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:53 pm

That's a good point, and, strictly speaking, you're probably right. However the E-numbers may provide some solid evidence of conformity with at least some standards, and as such may be better than nothing? :)

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:00 pm

According to some baffling paperwork we received from the french government today Norway IS in the European Union.
It may not be in the Euro currency, like Britain.

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Well, according to Wikipedia ("the fountain of all things nearly-correct" as somebody said :) )

Here
Norway is not a member state of the European Union (EU), but is closely associated with the Union through its membership in the European Economic Area (EEA), in the context of being a European Free Trade Association (EFTA) member

....Roger

expat2000

Post by expat2000 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Norway attitude to the European standards is quite refreshing. Whilst they are not in the EU they use whatever standards they feel are appropriate. They can't be forced to they just choose to. The MOT is actually called the EU kontroll as it uses the 'standard' EU car test.

When a modern car is imported they use the EU CoC for registration purposes. They claim to honour the system of mutual recognition of registration standards so in theory my car can be registered but they need the relevant information for the v5 equivalent.

expat2000

Post by expat2000 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:Well, according to Wikipedia ("the fountain of all things nearly-correct" as somebody said :) )

Here
Norway is not a member state of the European Union (EU), but is closely associated with the Union through its membership in the European Economic Area (EEA), in the context of being a European Free Trade Association (EFTA) member
Definitely not in the the EU but is in the EEA (or EØS as we call it) which simplifies working and travelling. Can buy stuff VAT free from the UK but the then get stuffed for import duty at this end.

haddock

Post by haddock » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:22 pm

expat2000 wrote:Norway attitude to the European standards is quite refreshing. Whilst they are not in the EU they use whatever standards they feel are appropriate. They can't be forced to they just choose to. The MOT is actually called the EU kontroll as it uses the 'standard' EU car test.

When a modern car is imported they use the EU CoC for registration purposes. They claim to honour the system of mutual recognition of registration standards so in theory my car can be registered but they need the relevant information for the v5 equivalent.
I'm beginning to quite like the country!

See you, haddock.

expat2000

Post by expat2000 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:22 am

Roger Pennington wrote:
expat2000 wrote:

Stuart
Here's what it looks like on a '79 Se6a auto (from memory I think the man-o/d one was the same, but half of it has flaked off now, and you can only see the top 3 rows, these at least are the same). You can just see the VIN plate at the top of the picture.
Codes-sticker.jpg
Had a look last night but no evidence of a sticker anywhere on the inside of my egine bay.

Had a search last night on the web and cannot find any reference to the e-numbers listed on the sticker pictured either.

Thanks anyway

Return to “Registering a Scimitar”