A French Chapter?

For any other General Discussions which are Europe specific

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

A French Chapter?

Post by Oldconn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:04 pm

I am posting this as a thought-provoker and discussion topic : Could we form a French Chapter of the RSSOC? .
In my opinion it would be a logical extension to what we already have, vis:an increasing number of Sabre/Scimitar owners in France, with growing interest in sporting and social events and a dedicated section on the forum website, not forgetting Chris Johnson's excellent site. The main advantage would be recognition of the club/marque , making it easier to gain entry to a vast number of events where we are at present regarded as a curiosity . For example, four of us went to the Classic Days event at Magny Cours as guests of the MP 21 club; then five of us went to the English Rencart gathering as guests , but not as a club; now we are being invited by the same people to join them at the Coupes D'Or at Prenois, although only Fred Rambert is currently a member of that club. We are all paid-up members of the RSSOC(aren't we!) so it should not be difficult to establish our own identity over here.There could well be other advantages, such as group purchasing discounts , better insurance valuation, etc, etc. Some of you might wonder why this should be necessary ,when the Club already exists . My point is that many French people don't recognise , or don't acknowledge the existence of, British clubs. Forming a French Chapter, with a registered address and maybe a modified logo, would improve our status. Obviously this is something which would need discussion and a vote at AGM , I am just throwing it into the arena(forum!) for consideration.

Ceci est un proposition à debattre: pourqui pas mettre sur place un Club RSSOC Français, filial au société Britannique?
A mon avis c'est logique; nous avons déja un rubrique European sur le site web, sans oublier le site .fr de Chris Johnson; aussi il y a un surcroit des amateurs des Sabres et Scimitars en France qui s'interessent des rassemblements et des événements sportifs. Avoir notre propre identité Français pourrait faciliter notre admission au tels événements, sans compter sur le générosité d'autres clubs. Aussi , il y aura le possibilité de négocier des prix avantageuses pour l'achat des billets, piéces, services, etc.
Avec l'accord de l'assemblé général, tout est possible - à mon avis! De tout façon , ceci n'est qu'une idée , faites partager vos pensées s'il vous plaït! :D

Ian Lambert

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Re: A French Chapter?

Post by erikscimitardemon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:08 pm

Sounds like a good idea. It seems the best possible solution to promote the marque without forming a new club.

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:44 pm

The club is already listed with a french adresse on several major classic car sites, including La Vie Auto, RetroCalage, British Car Passion.
I don't know if the FFVA have an 'official' list but it would probably cost money to join ...
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2016-01-24 à 22.25.jpg
Capture d’écran 2016-01-24 à 22.25.jpg (292.78 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Capture d’écran 2016-01-24 à 22.31.jpg
Capture d’écran 2016-01-24 à 22.31.jpg (374.64 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Capture d’écran 2016-01-24 à 22.37.jpg
Capture d’écran 2016-01-24 à 22.37.jpg (209.94 KiB) Viewed 1146 times

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:56 pm

Oldconn wrote:We are all paid-up members of the RSSOC(aren't we!)
No, you're not.

The RSSOC(NL), RSSOCG and RSSOC NZ have existed for decades alongside the RSSOC without insisting on membership of the UK arm of the Club.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:32 am

So, next time I want to buy tickets for an event, and the organisers ask for a club name, they should recognise RSSOC? That's what I had hoped for but it hasn't worked for the last two years at the Coupe de l'Age d'Or , Dijon Prenois, where the organisers are now Peter Auto. Incidentally, Jim, I am a paid-up member of the club , but of course I do understand that being on the forum isn't the same thing.
Chris, thanks for the link to IVA-Auto.fr which should serve as a good reference point. So it would seem that my query is answered, forming a French chapter is not necessary, we should be recognised as we are. :)

-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:42 am

you may have missed my point - you said that you were ALL paid up members of the RSSOC, but of course the majority of mainland European Scimitar owners aren't.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:04 pm

Oldconn wrote:So, next time I want to buy tickets for an event, and the organisers ask for a club name, they should recognise RSSOC? That's what I had hoped for but it hasn't worked for the last two years at the Coupe de l'Age d'Or , Dijon Prenois, where the organisers are now Peter Auto.
When I inscribed for Nogaro, in order to receive the "club-member" reduction, I referred to the RSSOC (with its adress in the UK) as my club - no problem there. That is the same organiser (M3) as in Magny-Cours - what where your experiences there?

Do I understand correct that in the Netherlands there is a Scimitar Club that is (apart from the name) not linked to the UK Club? Seperate membership etc.?

Cheers
Jörg

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:46 pm

landschrabbler wrote: Do I understand correct that in the Netherlands there is a Scimitar Club that is (apart from the name) not linked to the UK Club? Seperate membership etc.?

Cheers
Jörg
Hello Jörg,

Yes, there is a Dutch Scimitar club, Scimitar Club Nederland, in existence for over 30 years now. Since 2012 reformed and renamed to SCN.
Open to anyone with a Scimitar friendly heart. Members mostly from the Netherlands, and a few from Belgium an Germany.
I am one of the board members.

Erik

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:29 pm

Jörg, I didn't try to enter Magny Cours as an RSSOC member because I am also a member of MP21, who made a block entry. MP 21 also kindly invited three other Scimitar owners to join their group , so we didn't have a problem. Now that I know about the existence of RSSOC on several other registers (Retrocalage, IVA-auto), I will try to use our club's name again in the future. It just seemed to me , with my limited experience, that we are constantly attending desirable events grace à the hospitality of other clubs , which feels odd after several years of using membership of the Club Mini de France without any problems . The last straw was at Dijon two years ago when I was obliged to park amongst lorries and trailers, while the club enclosures were full of hatchbacks!

-Kermit Weeks

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:11 pm

The RSSOC is a worldwide club - if organisers want a club with a French address as they are being pedantic, then that's their decision.

IMHO of course :D

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Return to “General European Chat”