Seeking information about one's car from overseas

For any other General Discussions which are Europe specific

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Seeking information about one's car from overseas

Post by tanuki » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:56 am

For those of us leaving outside UK it is not possible to apply for a V888 with DVLA :cry:
(I found letters from DVLA in The Flying Sub files answering to Peter that his request was denied because he was living in France, and I seem to recall that even Chris could not get information about his own cars for the same reason)

While I understand that it is not possible for an individual to apply on behalf of someone else - one needs to prove that one is directly concerned with the vehicle - I am wondering if a club - as an entity - could somehow negotiate with DVLA on this matter :? Hence my question: could the RSSOC help in any way with sending a V888 application for an exported vehicle ? I am afraid I know the answer, yet I think it's better asking :wink:

Thanks for your advice,
Cheers,
Fred

PS. I know that the subject has already been mentionned in a few threads, I just thought that a recap herte could be useful to other/future foreign scimitarists (?)

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: Seeking information about one's car from overseas

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:36 pm

It's a valid question, though I think there's probably only one person who'll be able to give a definitive answer, and that's Kevin Cooper, who as well as being Club Chairman, is also responsible for DVLA/Insurance liaison. Probably worth sending him a direct e-mail at one of his addresses in the "contacts" link (top right)?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:22 pm

As long as the car hasn't been exported on DVLAs computer system it's very easy to get a v888 response - I've done it for several people over the years :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:39 am

Roger Pennington wrote:It's a valid question, though I think there's probably only one person who'll be able to give a definitive answer, and that's Kevin Cooper, who as well as being Club Chairman, is also responsible for DVLA/Insurance liaison. Probably worth sending him a direct e-mail at one of his addresses in the "contacts" link (top right)?
Thanks Roger for the lead ... I shall contact Kevin then and keep you posted :wink:
scimjim wrote:As long as the car hasn't been exported on DVLAs computer system it's very easy to get a v888 response - I've done it for several people over the years :-)
Hello Jim,
oh yes ... I remember you offered me help about Purple last year, but for some reason we did not do it at the time :oops: Will PM you just now :wink:

I have just tried again to check the status for Purple (CHW251J)... which had disappeared from DVLA's radar the last time I tried - I got an error message 'Unknow registration' :evil: - and today it's back :roll: with a Vehicle Status = Not taxed. Btw I assume that this is the field that would show 'Exported', am I correct ?

I am rather confused with those DVLA online forms, they seem different each time I use them ... and I remember that last time I checked The Flying Sub (HWK864V) it showed some Export status somewhere ... while today there's nothing of the sort :? It also comes up with Not taxed just like Purple.
This is the form I used https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ maybe there's a better one ?

Nevertheless, I think that DVLA's online resources are far much better that what we have here in France, which is essentially, er ... nothing (!!) :lol:

Thanks for help,
Fred

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:39 am

It's also important that you declare the vehicle SORN (for those taxed post 31 Jan 98 in UK) or DVLA may try to fine the registered keeper when a v888 application is made. You just need the number from the top of the V5C and do it online here.

The export status is shown as a seperate field - try it with one of my old SE5a OBO25M. *edit* it's disappeared!! Now shown as untaxed instead of exported!

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:49 am

scimjim wrote:It's also important that you declare the vehicle SORN (for those taxed post 31 Jan 98 in UK) or DVLA may try to fine the registered keeper when a v888 application is made. You just need the number from the top of the V5C and do it online here.
Oh dear ... thanks for the advice. I would not like to be a source of trouble for the last registered keeper of the car in the UK :oops:
I assume that the SORN status would appear somewhere on the information summary - probably on top left & Status field - :?:
NB. both of my cars only show 'Not taxed' ... so it could mean trouble for POs who did not SORN the cars years ago :?

I am concerned that maybe if I fill the SORN form online with the V5C number, this could also trigger a letter from DVLA to the registered keeper ?
Wouldn't DVLA thus assume that the registered keeper still owns the car or at list is still 'responsible before the tax office' for the missing years of tax ?
Purple has a tax due on 1st July 2007 and The Flying Sub 1st November 2011 ... so it's pretty recent ...
scimjim wrote:The export status is shown as a seperate field - try it with one of my old SE5a OBO25M. *edit* it's disappeared!! Now shown as untaxed instead of exported!
I think that's what happened to me as well ... it used to show exported somewhere, but all gone !

Thanks Jim for your advice on this :wink:
Cheers,
Fred

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:53 am

With the UK administration, as in France, it is better not to disturb sleeping 'fonctionnaires' ...

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:51 pm

tanuki wrote:
scimjim wrote:It's also important that you declare the vehicle SORN (for those taxed post 31 Jan 98 in UK) or DVLA may try to fine the registered keeper when a v888 application is made. You just need the number from the top of the V5C and do it online here.
Oh dear ... thanks for the advice. I would not like to be a source of trouble for the last registered keeper of the car in the UK :oops:
I assume that the SORN status would appear somewhere on the information summary - probably on top left & Status field - :?:
NB. both of my cars only show 'Not taxed' ... so it could mean trouble for POs who did not SORN the cars years ago :?

I am concerned that maybe if I fill the SORN form online with the V5C number, this could also trigger a letter from DVLA to the registered keeper ?
Wouldn't DVLA thus assume that the registered keeper still owns the car or at list is still 'responsible before the tax office' for the missing years of tax ?
Purple has a tax due on 1st July 2007 and The Flying Sub 1st November 2011 ... so it's pretty recent ...
scimjim wrote:The export status is shown as a seperate field - try it with one of my old SE5a OBO25M. *edit* it's disappeared!! Now shown as untaxed instead of exported!
I think that's what happened to me as well ... it used to show exported somewhere, but all gone !

Thanks Jim for your advice on this :wink:
Cheers,
Fred
If it's status is "SORN", then that's what should show as the status, not "untaxed".

The "export marker" used to be shown as a separate Y/N indicator, as in the following example of how the old system used to look.

I'd guess that someone decided, in the interests of simplicity (as most of the time it's irrelevant) to leave it off the screen display on the new system? Which doesn't necessarily mean it's missing from the actual DVLA record of course?
Old DVLA.jpg
Old DVLA.jpg (256.73 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

French Coupé

Post by French Coupé » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:34 pm

tanuki wrote:I think that's what happened to me as well ... it used to show exported somewhere, but all gone !
If it used to say exported then don't worry about it Fred! The DVLA will know the car is no longer registered in the UK and that tax doesn't need to be paid. Even though my Coupé was exported "by the book", the DVLA website still says "Not taxed" and "No MOT".
And as you bought both cars in France it was up to the previous owners to let the DVLA know they had been exported. I certainly don't think it should be up to you to declare the car as SORN.

James

1968 Scimitar Coupé, 1971 MG BGT, 1950 Royal Enfield G

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:13 pm

James, I think you need to read the thread from the start first :-)

It's very important to ensure that the car is on "SORN" if you wish to apply for the previous history (form v888) - which you can't do if DVLA show the car as exported.

Jim King

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:41 pm

Hello guys,

Thanks Roger for the snap of the 'old style' output, yes that's the format that I remember :wink:
I must have taken a snapshot of this when I was looking for the cars, just cannot put my hand on it at the moment :roll:

James, I am not worried for myself since I purchased the cars when they were already under french registration.
I am just concerned that applying for a V888 may trigger a letter from DVLA to whoever was last filed as the registered keeper of the vehicle :oops:
Thanks to Jim for bringing this to my attention !
Since the online form for applying a SORN seems to only ask for the V5C's ID, DVLA would possibly automatically relate the request to the last registered keeper, right ?
Anyway, I do not have the V5C documents, but I guess the same ID should appear on some other documents - e.g MOT certificate ? -

Hum, maybe I should just forget about it (...)
I still haven't written to Kevin Cooper about this, it could be interesting to have his point of view :wink:

Cheers,
Fred

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:06 pm

The same ID doesn't appear on other documents - it's a unique V5C number.

Jim King

Return to “General European Chat”