Celebration (2 years already !)

For any other General Discussions which are Europe specific

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Celebration (2 years already !)

Post by tanuki » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:20 pm

As they say A picture is worth a thousand words ... therefore 16 pics should be worth a thousand posts :wink:
In order to celebrate my 1000th post on this forum, I decided to look back on my first 2 years of happy Scimitar ownership and illustrate here what has happened during this time :lol:
Most of those pics have appeared in my other project threads, so I owe an apology for those of you who have been following the adventures of Purple and The Flying Sub ... I thank you for your patience with the many pics that I have posted - and which once clustered the forum before I started using Photobucket :lol: :lol: -

Cheers, Fred

Here goes, in chronological order:

1. the Search of the Scimitar started for me shortly after I joined this forum in November 2013
I have seen a few of those that were available in France at that time:

2. My first Scimitar
I visited Chris Leroy in Dieppe in early January, but it's not until May 2014 that I purchased Purple

3. RSSOC International 2014
I had enrolled in this event with a TVR originally - as a 'soon to be but not quite yet Scimitar owner' :oops:
but since Chris had made up his mind in selling Purple to me earlier than expected, I was excited to show up in Laon with Purple 8)
Excellent memories of this event, lots of great people met on this week-end and ... what a collection of Scimitars :shock:

4. Sortie South-O-France 2014

Beside a few shows in my area, this event proved to be my first occasion of taking Purple on a long trip, and to discover yet more friendly scimitarists among which:
- our french guru Chris Johnson and his Dark Star 8)
- Phil Mason in his GTC
- Fred Hermand - who attended in his Alfa Spider by lack of a running Scimitar :roll: - became a real good friend

5. first Scimitar meeting hosted in Nemours

Despite a typical winter day, Fred Hermand and James Mason made a fair trip to come and exhibit Brownie and the white Coupe during our monthly noggin, also joined by a non-rolling GTC recently purchased by a club's friend

6. My second Scimitar

In early January 2015 I purchased Peter Wernham's yellow SE6a, now known as The Flying Sub or Custard - its french name -
It took several months to get the papers due to some bloody french bureaucrats :twisted: but eventualy both Scimitars attended our Expertise Day in Nemours:

7. Classic Days in Magny-Cours

Purple took place in this events together with Ian Lambert's Candy and Fred Hermand's Brownie ... Patrice Beauchant was there too, unfortunately NOT with his Aubergine due to seized rear brakes :oops: A lot of rain, but we had a lot of fun on the rallye with Ian and the show was pretty good :D

8. photo shooting for an article in Auto-Retro

Since the redactor of the french magazine La vie de l'Auto is a member of English Rencart, and also because he loves Scimitars :mrgreen: I was asked if The Flying Sub could appear in an article for one of their magazines ! This is how she turned into a star for a whole day :lol:

Photo courtesy of Daniel Denis

The road test first:

Followed by the shooting session at the Episy Airport:

9. Monthlery Autodrome

Our club had invited again scimitarists to join us for this event, therefore Fred (Brownie), James (white coupe), Patrice (Aubergine) and Peter Aston (Yellow Peril coupe) had teamed up with Purple to introduce Scimitars to the french community 8)

10. English Rencart meetings

Our yearly exhibition of english vehicles in Nemours has seen again 5 Scimitars on display - the club is getting used to them by now :D -
Candy, Brownie, Aubergine, Jame's coupe and The Flying Sub were part of the show and two of them actuually received trophees on that day :shock:

11. Other exhibitions

Purple and The Flying Sub took part in a number of outings and noggins during these two years, as illustrated below:

12. Sortie South-O-France 2015

Second edition for me, this time with The Flying Sub and in company of Fred's Brownie and Viv White's Kinky 8)
The occasion to meet up with Chris & Phil again, to make more Scimitar friends - Jorg and Louis - ... and to drive up the mythic Mont Ventoux for my first time :shock: The end of the week was spent in the South of France in company of Viv, and I have had my first Scimitar mechanics lessons at Phil's place :lol:

Last edited by tanuki on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Re: Celebration (2 years already !)

Post by DARK STAR » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:49 pm

Nice album of souvenirs, well done Fred.
And well done also for really getting Scimitars moving in the north (and the south, come to think of it 8) )

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:01 am

Congratulations, Fred, on reaching your milestones of 1000 posts and two years ownership, all the best for the future, and I look forward to hearing about further adventures! :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:26 am

DARK STAR wrote:Nice album of souvenirs, well done Fred.
And well done also for really getting Scimitars moving in the north (and the south, come to think of it 8) )
Thanks Chris :D
I wish I could dedicate more time to it and to work on the cars, just trying my best :lol:

For next year I am planning to get Scimitars at Classic Days again, and at the Age d'Or in Dijon (English Rencart is going this year - instead of Montlhery - and I have been confirmed that the Scimitar gang is welcome of course !)
Beside I am looking forward to Le Mans Classic and I hope I can join the International '16 in Germany :mrgreen:
Later in the season I will definitely go to the Goodwood Revival - as I have paid for it already - but not sure if I'll do it in a modern or classic car.
As usual the paramount meeting will be the Sortie South-O-France '16 :mrgreen:
Roger Pennington wrote:Congratulations, Fred, on reaching your milestones of 1000 posts and two years ownership, all the best for the future, and I look forward to hearing about further adventures! :D
Hello Roger ! Oh boy, still 28 years before I could reach 15,000 posts ... by then you will be at 100,000 :lol: :lol:
Never mind, I'll keep the same pace and hope to bring more stories and pics on this forum :wink:

Thanks guys !
Fred

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:40 am

:shock: 1000 (!!!) posts in 2 years? This one is my number 66 after more than a year... :oops:

Congrats! :clap: :hurrah: :clap: We drink to that :pint

B.t.w., is this the normal disease pattern of scimeagerness (also known as scimlust, "affectus scimitari" [med.])?
I heard the only treatment is the yearly purchase of a Scimitar, though other cars can be used as a substitute drugs... :help:

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks Jörg,

Indeed ... scimeagerness is a very strong pathology which seems to affect a number of people around here :lol:
I am afraid that you are infected too, the strongest symptom being when you start looking for a second one :roll: :wink:
I am not aware of a cure, so you might as well learn to live with it ... and enjoy your Scimi days as often as possible.
Alternate drugs - Chimaera, Caterham & Anglia in my case - do help temporarily, but are not a fulltime substitute :lol:

Looking forward to your next adventures with La Bête Verte - keep the pics coming ! - :mrgreen:
Fred

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:50 pm

"Scimitars are like kitten - you want to take home all of them."

:hand: Oh no, I'm lost...

Since the ride in Kinky I keep on thinking about a Sabre - though, would anything lesser than a 1.8Turbo satisfy my needs, äh, heal my sickness...?
A Coupe it could also be...

:help: I'm sick :help:
tanuki wrote:For next year I am planning to get Scimitars at Classic Days again...
Looking forward to it as well...
tanuki wrote:Beside I am looking forward to Le Mans Classic and I hope I can join the International '16 in Germany :mrgreen:
Yes to the first "aussi" and... anyone with details about the International? We could then meet with Frenchnewbie and drive through the Vosges...
tanuki wrote:As usual the paramount meeting will be the Sortie South-O-France '16 :mrgreen:
Any specific plans yet?

Sorry for drifting OT...

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:47 pm

Well done Fred. 1000 + posts already :D

I've enjoyed reading your posts about the British classic car scene in France, accompanied every time by some great pictures !

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:24 pm

A thousand in just two years.... 8)
Fifteenhundred took me nine years :w

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:29 pm

Corky wrote:Well done Fred. 1000 + posts already :D
I've enjoyed reading your posts about the British classic car scene in France, accompanied every time by some great pictures !
Thanks Steve ! Will keep shooting whenever I have a chance, hopefully running into new cars :P Stay tuned :wink:
erikscimitardemon wrote:A thousand in just two years.... 8)
Fifteenhundred took me nine years :w
To be frank I was the first surprised ... I'd never thought that I could post that many messages on a forum :shock:
I am member of 3 other forums and have posted less than 200 messages on all three during the past 3 years - my posts on TVRCC have even disappeared by lack of activity I am afraid :oops: although I am a club member -
Of all 4 forums, this one is definitely the most active and friendly place, that sure explains why I am here every day - even just reading :wink: -

Cheers,
Fred

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:21 pm

landschrabbler wrote:"Scimitars are like kitten - you want to take home all of them."

:hand: Oh no, I'm lost...

Since the ride in Kinky I keep on thinking about a Sabre - though, would anything lesser than a 1.8Turbo satisfy my needs, äh, heal my sickness...?
A Coupe it could also be...

:help: I'm sick :help:
Oh Jörg ... you are hooked :hand:

Well, I fully understand ... I quite like the Sabre too :W

As you know I was lucky to drive Kinky for about 100 miles when we left the Mont Ventoux, and despite the poor conditions (blown gasket, no turbo, night drive on winding unknown country roads in the rain, guessing my way by lack of satnav, looking out for wild boars, keeping an eye in the mirror to make sure that Viv was following in my bloody Flying Sub, etc. etc.) I enjoyed it very much :mrgreen: Of course my driving was extremely cautious given the circumstances, so I could only imagine what it would be driving Kinky in the daytime on dry roads :lol:

While the 1800Ti is the Graal, I am pretty sure that a 1600 would already be quite a lot of fun :P
Keep thinking Jörg :wink:

Cheers,
Fred

PS. about next year's meetings I'll send you an email !

Return to “General European Chat”