La vie en Metro

Project Progress for our European Members

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

tanuki
RSSOC Member

La vie en Metro

Post by tanuki » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:55 am

Here is the latest member of the family ... originally bought as a "B plan" for our yearly rally
- just in case that my friend's SS1 would not be ready in time - ... it may very well stay in the pool for a while :lol:

'82 Austin Metro 1000E (1st generation) with 25k miles on the clock.

Came with new exhaust, battery, shocks, engine checked and carb refurbished, new calorstat, etc.
In its juice, never molested and with a clean MOT - not even a single advisory -
Everything is in order, it simply needs new rear bearings and new hatch jacks ... and will be greated with new tyres :wink:
Apart from a few minor bumps and scratches - hardly noticeable from a few feet - the body is in perfect condition.
I took it to the garage to check the underneath: chassis and body do not show any spot of rust :shock:
It looks like it had been sleeping in a garage and hardly ever drove in the rain !
The best part is probably that the engine is running smoothly, gearbox and clutch are fine, and there are almost no electric accessories
- no electric windows or mirrors, no rear wiper, no lighter, no radio ... not even a clock :lol: -

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

richardvernon

La vie en Metro

Post by richardvernon » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:37 pm

And of course highly likely it shares same headlights as the SS1. Brake calipers look like SS1 OE brakes as well.

Real time warp car and as you say not too many electrics to go wrong. How is the steering? Most of the early Metros I have worked on in the past had surprisingly heavy steering. Nice to see one in such good original condition. Enjoy. :)

1985 SS1 cvh. Galvanizing is for wusses with no sense of adventure.......

Nick

La vie en Metro

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:23 pm

We had several, decent little motor. MG version was quite nice.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

tanuki
RSSOC Member

La vie en Metro

Post by tanuki » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:26 pm

Richard,
It shares a few bits with the SS1 indeed, from brakes to lights and dashboard instruments ...
except that mine is an early model, so the instruments are different ... and it's not a Turbo,
so I won't be able to share parts with the SST ...
Indeed the steering is a bit heavy in the roundabouts ... it feels like driving a truck :wink:
But otherwise very light and accurate around corners and on straight lines ...
the wide and thin steering wheel reminds me of the Anglia, the absolute opposite of the Caterham :lol:
I have been driving already 500 miles in it and I love it ... a lot of fun :mrgreen:
Also quite surprised with fuel consumption: 34 liters to cover nearly 700 km, that's a good 55 mpg :shock:
Cheers,
Fred

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)

*JP*

La vie en Metro

Post by *JP* » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Better than a 2CV!

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

La vie en Metro

Post by Oldconn » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:15 pm

Developed from the Mini, of course, with a lot of the Mini drawbacks designed out. I have quite a stock of 998/1000 Austin engine parts, Fred, and am at the moment rebuilding a complete engine/gearbox, so if you need anything give me a shout! :D Next task will be the replacement Essex for Candy! :hand:

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

tanuki
RSSOC Member

La vie en Metro

Post by tanuki » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:53 pm

Oldconn wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:15 pm
Developed from the Mini, of course, with a lot of the Mini drawbacks designed out. I have quite a stock of 998/1000 Austin engine parts, Fred, and am at the moment rebuilding a complete engine/gearbox, so if you need anything give me a shout! :D Next task will be the replacement Essex for Candy! :hand:
Hello Ian,
I'll keep you offer in mind if I need spare parts someday :wink: Fortunately the engine seems in perfect order - touch wood -
and our mechanic was quite impressed with the condition of the car ... he used to own one of those many years ago and
will give this one a thorough check, including the hydro-elastic suspension. The objective is still to attend the infamous Touratoto
in the SS1, but it's a relief to know that we have a "plan B" ready just in case. Anyway, the car will prove a handy daily driver :wink:
Good luck with the engine on Candy, I am looking forward to seeing you soon !!
Take care !
Fred

Return to “Projects”