GTC Vert Soleil

Project Progress for our European Members

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

GTC Vert Soleil

Post by DARK STAR » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:12 pm

Soylent Green in english, actually it's forest green, though white originally.
It also seems to have had at least five different registration numbers which I'll list later.
Anyway it finally arrived today, can't remember when I bought it.

First impressions after the dust (it seems to have been despatched direct from its barn) ...
The very smart paintwork has acquired a large scratch somewhere along the way, but the rest should polish up ok.
The Middlebridge wheels are as expected corroded but have natty aluminium centre caps instead of the original plastic rubbish.
There are LOTS of electrical problems but everything seems mechanically sound and the car drives well.
I don't like the very light power steering and the brakes are awful but that's probably just lack of use, they are ventilated discs.
The interior is spectacular, almost as good as Louis' Middlebridge, what more can I say !
Performance is much better than I expected from a 2,8, perhaps due to the full stainless exhaust which gives a really good sound, almost as loud as Dark Star.

I'll come back to the electrics and other advice sought, here are some pics ...
Attachments
P4010005.jpg
P4010005.jpg (420.19 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
P4010013.jpg
P4010013.jpg (467.12 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
P4010014.jpg
P4010014.jpg (455.38 KiB) Viewed 2663 times

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Re: GTC Vert Soleil

Post by peter freeman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:19 pm

Looks nice inside but I find my GTC is definitely sluggish compared to the other three Scimitars we have - you must have a good one.Out with the leather soap/treatment is the next job. Don't forget the wiring drawing can be downloaded here http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/~nenoggins/Wiring.htm

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:30 pm

Looks very nice! I like the green piping! Not sure about the speeker positioning though! :lol:

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:39 pm

Forest Green is a great colour Chris :D

Looks superb, I'm jealous.

Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks chaps!
Peter, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance, on paper it has the same power-to-weight as Louiza's Calibra but it is much more lively.
Not quite like Dark Star though ;-)
I still have some Zymol leather treatment which came with the Porsche so I'll be treating it to some of that.
Dave, yes the upholstery is very well done.
The sound system is good too, but the "rear" speakers are mounted in margarine tubs which roll around the rear passengers' feet.
Well spotted - er have you any suggestions for a more practical place to put them (the speakers not the margarine tubs) ?
Jim, I think forest green really suits the car, of course dark grey would be good too :-D
It will look a lot better when I shine it up with Zymol wax.

Chris Johnson

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:18 pm

Well done Chris ... and welcome Vert Soleil :hurrah:
The green lining is pretty neat ... I can't wait to see the next pics after the Zymol wax treatment :wink:
Looking forward to meeting Vert Soleil for real, maybe at the next Sortie South-o-France, eh eh 8) ?
Enjoy !!
Cheers, Fred

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61),Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:05 pm

There are moulded holes in the rear quarters you can use in 2 different places. 1 near the arm rests and 1 a little higher and a little further back.

Or make an alternative or cut the boot separator panel and put them in.

Alternatively ditch the rears and fit a Sub :twisted:

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

French Coupé

Post by French Coupé » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:17 pm

There's plenty of space behind the rear seats if you can find some free standing speakers to go in there, that way you don't have to make holes in anything. Or you could just hide the margarine tubs in there if you want to preserve the period modifications. :D
DARK STAR wrote:Jim, I think forest green really suits the car, of course dark grey would be good too :-D
Now now Chris, two dark grey GTC's on the Côte d'Azur would too much of a good thing! :wink:

James

1968 Scimitar Coupé, 1971 MG BGT, 1950 Royal Enfield G

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:22 pm

Chuffin' 'eck! From Crazy Coupe to Gentlemans Terrific Charabang, yer must be mellowing, you'll need a whole new wardrobe t' go with that, bowler 'at an' rolled brolly don't yer know! Bon chance mon ami, enjoy the luxury, regards, Brian.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:44 am

Ok I'll look at that, speakers are not urgent - oh unless I need to carry passengers in the back ;-)
Brian, it's certainly different, blame the wife. Incidentally I have a rolled brolly in the Coupé, dark grey of course, never been opened.

The electrics shouldn't be too difficult but I have
no dip beam one side
no main beam the other side
no left rear light
no flashers at all - (the hazard flashers work ok so presumably faulty feed to indicator switch)
no fuel gauge or temperature gauge (same feed, not sure if there is a ballast resistor on a GTC)

Wipers work, forgot to check screenwash
Forgot to check stop lights, reversing lights and horn
Can't find switches for front spotlights and rear fog lights
Can't find out how to switch the stereo off

Some of this is urgent for the controle technique.
I'll print out Peter's brilliant wiring diagram - but the colours may not be much use, as you can see the wiring is somewhat modified.
There's certainly no lack of relays.
As for Dark Star (which hasn't got one) I've no idea where the ballast resistor should be (if there is one).
Attachments
P4010009.jpg
P4010009.jpg (428.2 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
P4010007.jpg
P4010007.jpg (460.6 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
P4010012.jpg
P4010012.jpg (480.02 KiB) Viewed 2536 times

Chris Johnson

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:10 am

Looks like relays have been fitted for the headlights as on the bottom photo you have a new fuse box ( far right of photo ) and that's where the original headlight fuses are. A messy job looking at it. The GTC does not have a ballast resistor it has a eureka wire which starts at a plug between the brake servo and ignition control module ( which is below it ) and ends just before the wire gets to the dizzy. I have nothing on the rear of the engine bay "step" so what those two relays and 12V box does I have no idea. As to the radio its probably wired to the constant "memory" supply and not to the switched supply as well - my MB is done the same so I have to switch it on and off as I want it - there will be a switched supply somewhere behind the radio but I have not yet looked for it.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:27 pm

Some progress, I traced the lack of indicators to the hazard switch (where the +ve feed should come from).
As I needed also to check the temp and fuel gauges I dismantled the centre console, not without difficulty because whatever should be mounted bottom right had been replaced with a 13mm bolt :shock:
Finally got the switch out and thought it might be useful to clean it - see photo.
This made no difference whatsoever so I dismantled the switch and eventually realised that the brass centre contact/pivot had worn down more than the plastic insulation, so no contact.
Now modified so no plastic, works perfectly.

As far as the mythical eureka wire is concerned, I have four wires parting from the plug under the servo, all painted black by a previous idiot.
Two go to the coil, the others disappear somewhere behind the engine.
Is there any reason I can't just wire the gauges direct to a +ve feed as I have on Dark Star?
They do work like that, and are probably no less accurate 8)

Further checks reveal that
windscreen washers work
horn works
front spot/fog lights don't work (I found the switch)
rear fog lights don't work (is it the same switch?)
reversing lights don't work

And of the numerous little panel lights at least seven do not light up.
They are of three different formats :| and a tour of the region came up with two of them, one each from two different suppliers.
Still need four or five of the tiny standard bulbs which illuminate the switches.
I would like to put the console back together before commencing the search for bad earths / dead bulbs in all the light units so I might not bother with illuminated switches ...

The radio has a constant memory supply, it even has a label on it, and only works with the ignition on, but surely it must have an on/off switch somewhere?

Incidentally I have found two or three more relays under the dash.
I wonder what they all do.
Attachments
P4020003.jpg
P4020003.jpg (415.67 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
P4020005.jpg
P4020005.jpg (441.9 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
P4020006.jpg
P4020006.jpg (456.15 KiB) Viewed 2483 times

Chris Johnson

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:05 pm

The heavier of the two wires to the coil should be the eureka wire - quite obviously heavier. Same switch for the front and rear fogs - fronts come on with the switch half way and both F&R when full way down. With the gauges wired to the 12v they will over read and also wander with the revs/lights/fan etc switched on and off. The radio normally has two supplies one to switch the radio on with the ignition switch ( when the radio switch is left on ) and the other to retain the channel tuning memory etc. There are three relays under the glove box IIRC - cannot off had remember what they are for - one probably for main beam but checking the cable colours to them should help you find out what they do.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:10 am

peter freeman wrote:There are three relays under the glove box IIRC - cannot off had remember what they are for - one probably for main beam but checking the cable colours to them should help you find out what they do.
Yes, three relays under the glovebox. They are:

1. Ignition relay (which of course controls all sorts of things except the ignition! :roll: )

2. Outer main beams

3. Auxiliary lights

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:14 am

The radio should be fed from the ACC terminal on the ignition switch, not the ignition on terminal. If you can't find the right tail behind the radio, go direct to,the switch, it is only a short distance and then it will work as intended.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Return to “Projects”