Winter Protection - An Idiot's Guide

For Discussion on vehicle cleaning, detailing and care, and the RSSOC Concours

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Winter Protection - An Idiot's Guide

Post by Oaksey » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:23 pm

First off, I'm not very into polishing despite where I live. I've not got enough patience to do it all properly but I also don't feel I can justify the cost of someone like Rich doing a proper job when the paint very good (as anyone who has seen JHR will know)
I do however drive it everyday and I'm not known for my sympathy towards cars so spending a bit of time now will make keeping the car clean a lot easier throughout winter.
Again, I'm not amazing at this; if you want proper advice, go elsewhere but it's a rough start on what to do if you're using your car in all conditions and want it looking half respectable

Start with 1 scummy Scimmy

Using a pre wash is mega handy. This is what was recommended by Rich

The best way of stopping scratching is to not touch the paint and this helps. This was one quick blow with the jet washer

Next up is the fallout remover. This'll get rid of all the iron bits and brake dust etc that find their way onto your paint. It works very well but does absolutely stink so don't wear half decent clothes while using it

Leave it for a while and it'll go purple on all the bits that it's working on

Then you just wash it all off. Then again, then again and again if you have cracks in your paint work. It took about an hour for it all to work its way out of the cracks

Then wash as normal, using the two bucket method to stop all this getting back onto the paint

Already, it's looking better

Note the wheels - some say you can't keep slot mags looking good all year round without a lot of hard work but I beg to differ. I polished mine last before curborough and just give them a mop with a sponge when I wash the car and they're still looking decent.

Then it's time for the clay bar. This will get the remaining contaminants off the paintwork. In the case of JHR, there was a lot of overspray from its days of sitting in a small garage with a load of crap around and on it. I used Bilt Hamber as it only requires water as a lubricant. You make sure everything is wet, then just lightly rub the panel with the bar until the gritty sound stops. That means the paint is smooth under the clay.

This highlights how much stuff comes off the paint even when it's just been washed.

Both the fallout remover and the clay bar help to make the paint as silky smooth as possible. Arguably not vital but it makes a difference once you start to polish the car.

And on that note, you can then polish the car. People often have their own preferences when it comes to polish so use what you like.

After that's done, you need to seal the paintwork to protect it for as long as possible. Auto finesse tough coat gets good reviews and it worked well for me. The only downside is that it smells of WD40. Spray on, wipe, leave to cure and wipe remnants off.

Now you've sealed the paint, you can apply the wax for maximum shine. Some research is needed for this as different waxes seem to be better suited to different colours. I went for Poorboy's Natty's Paste Wax as it's supposed to work well with yellow. Simply apply with a damp cloth or foam pad, leave to haze and wipe off with another cloth.

Then you can pay attention to your chrome (I love not having to keep my bumpers shiny) glass, wheels and tyres.

I've used loads of glass cleaners and the best seems to be normal house window cleaner.
For the wheels, I use Armorall Shield for Wheels. It's very good - just spray it on and leave it. It lasts for months and absolutely nothing will stick to it.

You should be good for a few months of just washes now and you can use a quick detailer like Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Shine which is really easy to apply, lasts a good while, beads water very well and smells rather good.

All of this including buying a load of microfibre cloths and some spray bottles cost me around £60 but everything I used bar the fallout remover has enough left to be used several times over and you don't need to so every process that often. Claying can be once twice a year for example.

Hope this is of some use to a few people but like I say, if you want some decent advice, PM Rich :mrgreen:

Josh Oakes
2015 and 2016 SSSC Champion
1974 Yellow Se5a Overdrive
1987 White SS1 Ti
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
1977 Yellow Se6a Overdrive
1966 Blue Coupe Straight Six
Previous- SS1 Ti, SE6a x2, SE5 Auto, SS1 CVH, Mk2 Sabre, Rebel Estate

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Re: Winter Protection - An Idiot's Guide

Post by efi_sprintgte » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:03 pm

Nice one josh.
P.S like the new tyres too :)

Lukeyboy46
RSSOC Member

Post by Lukeyboy46 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:09 pm

Good work buddy :) nice walk through

Luke Garratt
RSSOC Forum Moderator

74' Se5a - Daily driver!

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:31 pm

Next I guess would be as I do on my A35 use Dynax UC to protect the chrome and I guess polished alloy wheels from that orrible grit and salt, dries completely so no getting on your trousers as you brush past in the garage, does dull the brightwork but in Spring comes off nice and easy with panel wipe

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:27 am

ScimmyMike wrote:Next I guess would be as I do on my A35 use Dynax UC to protect the chrome and I guess polished alloy wheels from that orrible grit and salt, dries completely so no getting on your trousers as you brush past in the garage, does dull the brightwork but in Spring comes off nice and easy with panel wipe
That's not a product I'd encountered before, but it sounds as though it could be quite useful :) How much duller does it make polished surfaces when applied, and how wear resistant is it, in your experience?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

MrGoldtop1960
RSSOC Member

Post by MrGoldtop1960 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:39 pm

Nice one Josh! Some good info there matey!

Cheers
Kev O

Kev Osborne
Solent Noggin NogSec, National Events coordinator.
Member No.2104

Owner of SE5a "Colonel Mustard"
Previous - "Sid" the SS1 1800ti

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:47 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
ScimmyMike wrote:Next I guess would be as I do on my A35 use Dynax UC to protect the chrome and I guess polished alloy wheels from that orrible grit and salt, dries completely so no getting on your trousers as you brush past in the garage, does dull the brightwork but in Spring comes off nice and easy with panel wipe
That's not a product I'd encountered before, but it sounds as though it could be quite useful :) How much duller does it make polished surfaces when applied, and how wear resistant is it, in your experience?
Roger, gives it a satin look though as you'd imagine does dull somewhat, can't expect to do anything else really, used it last winter, lasted till spring time without re applying, I think I was a bit ovezealous though, would look better on chromed or polished ally bits with more of a misting really, I'll be using it again this year once I've cleaned the vaseline type product off the SE5 bumpers that a PO applied to them, and his trousers everytime he walked past it :lol: and also on Eggbert;s bumpers and hubcaps

SAAB C900 2 door

www.high peak noggin

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:03 pm

ScimmyMike wrote:
Roger Pennington wrote:
Roger, gives it a satin look though as you'd imagine does dull somewhat, can't expect to do anything else really, used it last winter, lasted till spring time without re applying, I think I was a bit ovezealous though, would look better on chromed or polished ally bits with more of a misting really, I'll be using it again this year once I've cleaned the vaseline type product off the SE5 bumpers that a PO applied to them, and his trousers everytime he walked past it :lol: and also on Eggbert;s bumpers and hubcaps

PO hey Mike?!?!

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:30 pm

ScimmyMike wrote: Roger, gives it a satin look though as you'd imagine does dull somewhat, can't expect to do anything else really, used it last winter, lasted till spring time without re applying, I think I was a bit ovezealous though, would look better on chromed or polished ally bits with more of a misting really, I'll be using it again this year once I've cleaned the vaseline type product off the SE5 bumpers that a PO applied to them, and his trousers everytime he walked past it :lol: and also on Eggbert;s bumpers and hubcaps
Thanks, that sounds pretty good, especially with the ease of cleaning off afterwards. Do you mask the tyres?

It's got to be better than vaseline stains on your trousers anyway! :shock:

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:48 am

Roger Pennington wrote:
ScimmyMike wrote: Roger, gives it a satin look though as you'd imagine does dull somewhat, can't expect to do anything else really, used it last winter, lasted till spring time without re applying, I think I was a bit ovezealous though, would look better on chromed or polished ally bits with more of a misting really, I'll be using it again this year once I've cleaned the vaseline type product off the SE5 bumpers that a PO applied to them, and his trousers everytime he walked past it :lol: and also on Eggbert;s bumpers and hubcaps
Thanks, that sounds pretty good, especially with the ease of cleaning off afterwards. Do you mask the tyres?

It's got to be better than vaseline stains on your trousers anyway! :shock:
Not used on the GTE yet Roger was off the road last year due to axle damper bracket failure, may do wheels this year though, I'd certainly mask wheels with a bit of card with a 14" diam hole in it
greeny wrote: PO hey Mike?!?!
:D :D :D

SAAB C900 2 door

www.high peak noggin

Return to “Polishers' Corner”