Underbonnet covering

For Discussion on vehicle cleaning, detailing and care, and the RSSOC Concours

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Underbonnet covering

Post by GTC Ian » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:57 pm

Sonds like a good idea Kev. I will get the ball rolling. Does anyone know of a thin covering, suitable for under the bonnet? The underside of the bonnet of Barbaras SS1 is not very good. She tried painting it , but after a while the white streaks return. Like most women she wants it spotless. Can you get radiator foil in black?

White GTC no 91
Personal mechanic to Barbara's SS1
Previous SE5a JKG 236N (R.I.P)
Members since 1984

MrGoldtop1960
RSSOC Member

Re: RSSOC Concours

Post by MrGoldtop1960 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi Ian,
Generally radiator foil is designed to reflect heat I.e. Needs to be shiney, so black would absorb heat, which is not what the product was originally designed for. Do you know what the white streaks are and what paint was being used?
Cheers
Kev O

Kev Osborne
Solent Noggin NogSec, National Events coordinator.
Member No.2104

Owner of SE5a "Colonel Mustard"
Previous - "Sid" the SS1 1800ti

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Re: RSSOC Concours

Post by philhoward » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:25 pm

GTC Ian wrote:Sonds like a good idea Kev. I will get the ball rolling. Does anyone know of a thin covering, suitable for under the bonnet? The underside of the bonnet of Barbaras SS1 is not very good. She tried painting it , but after a while the white streaks return. Like most women she wants it spotless. Can you get radiator foil in black?
You can get this stuff: http://www.frost.co.uk/eastwood-under-h ... rosol.html - don't know if that's any better?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Re: Underbonnet covering

Post by GTC Ian » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 am

Ive no idea what the white stuff is. I thought it might be caused by damp, but not so sure now. We used stone chip primer and top coat.Looked good for a while.

White GTC no 91
Personal mechanic to Barbara's SS1
Previous SE5a JKG 236N (R.I.P)
Members since 1984

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Re: Underbonnet covering

Post by Oldconn » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Sounds daft, but Decathlon sell some very thin foam sleeping rolls, which are aluminised on one side. Quite cheap too, I think I paid about 8 euros. I cut one to fit under the bonnet of my old Mini, and stuck it on with spray glue. Looked good, helped reduce noise, and was still stuck on when I sold the car three years later.

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

Return to “Polishers' Corner”