Camper Holiday in the UK, where to go/stay, what to see ??

Do you know of a good site?

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Terry Rickard

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Re: Camper Holiday in the UK, where to go/stay, what to see

Post by Coupe Racing » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:52 pm

Llangollen has a preserved railway , shops , walks and canal trips which go over a very high aqueduct , nice place to visit

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:26 pm

the electric mountain is an engineering marvel if you're in Snowdonia?

feel free to pop in for a brew if you're in the area :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

JoeySully

Post by JoeySully » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks again for the advice and suggestions. I have spent a few hours now google earthing the suggestions and we have a bit of a plan of where we are heading.

Cheers for the offer Jim are you in Snowdonia now ? I knew you moved but didn't know where.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:25 pm

Nope - still in Glos.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),

JoeySully

Post by JoeySully » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks again for all the advice on where to go.
We had a lovely stay in Wales and even made it all the way to Portsmouth.

I had booked a campsite in Beaumaris for the first night so i was a quick drive from the ferry. Nice campsite called Kingsbridge although it was a bit away from the town. The rain came down heavy that evening but woke up to a lovely sunny morning. We set off to see the castle at Beaumaris which was quite nice, not the largest that the UK has to offer but nicely preserved. Red boat ice cream shop was a nice treat and the chipper across the road fed us well

I had read about a nice place to park next to Pennom Point on Anglesey, we drove down an had to pay the man at the gate £2.50 to stay the night. It was lovely down there but the constant bell from the lighthouse kept us awake.

We had realized that we were on the third day of our holidays and were still on the Isle of Anglesey so hit the road towards Llanberis and the Electric Mountain. What a lovely place! in between the rain showers we passed the time waling along the lake and the town the went on the tour of the power station which even impressed herself ;)

From there we headed south and stopped in Beddgelert for a night in a forest campsite and took a train that passed the campsite into the town. The dog was even allowed which is a real surprise for us as you cant bring dogs anywhere over here.
Nice town but not much going on there that evening so took a nice path back to the campsite.

The rain came heavier that ever that night and continued all then next day, so we drove for hours until the rain stopped and ended up in Aberystwyth. Spent 2 day there just chilling out.

It was Friday by now and I had arranged to meet my sister who lives near Bath so headed south Friday afternoon. My sister lives in a small apartment so she suggested we go to her friends house a couple of miles away out int he country to stay in their field. Some nice guys they were we had a nice BBQ next to a large army marquee.

Saturday was spent looking around Bradford on Avon and a walk along the Canal. Dinner out on Saturday night in a local pub.
Sunday was a bit wet as well but we were not put off, headed to Cheddar Gorge for a look. Thought it was going to be a small village but its a really long town. We tried climbing up the side of it which was difficult enough but it was possibly on of my most frightening experiences :oops:. When we got up the side of the Gorge, just walking from one of the layby's up what appeared to be a path, we found that we couldn't come down the way we came. we walked for ages to get a way down and there were a few slips and near misses along the way. Got back down all in one piece though :D

The weather in Bath was to turn nasty on Sunday night and continue for a few days so headed south sunday evening in a hurry. The new forest was our target and it was quite a quick drive down. We tried to get into a campsite called "Sandy Balls" :lol: but it was full up, seems everyone loves Sandy Balls. We had to go to one of the smaller campsites nearby. Took a walk to the nearby pub and met some donkeys along the road just wandering. some nice pub grub and then back home. I must say this campervanning is quite tiring :D.
Next day we checked into the only campsite we could find near Ower, at the edge of the New Forest. Nice place but with the M27 so close there was a lot of noise from traffic. We had booked in there for the rest of the holiday so we had to stick it.
The rain came again so I left her reading her book while I explored Beaulieu Motor Museum. Nice museum but I think its has been taken over by too much James bond rubbish and way too much Top Gear although I did enjoy it.
We did a few walks around the forest and saw loads of wild horses.
Woke up on Wednesday to a very sick dog, she was in pain and couldn't walk, Off to the vet who said, she has a tummy bug and just let her rest of the day.. so a day of book reading and monitoring the patient, by evening she couldn't even stand so over to the doggy hospital where they suggested keeping here overnight on a drip.
A phone-call later that evening with blood results showed nothing unusual, didn't know if that was good or bad. Next morning we called to see what the status was and were told she had improved :D . Called in and picked her up, a bit dopey from the drugs but able to walk, eat and drink so that was enough for us to take here as we had to catch the ferry the next day.
While down south I had to call to Viv, as usual busy prepping for Curbs so it was only a quick visit as there was an engine that still needed to be fitted, hope you got it done Viv ;)

Our last day and the sun was out for the while day, I was a long drive to Tenby where we Stayed the night, of course just our luck the rain came just as we arrived. The next morning we had a walk on the beautiful beach and nice Town, must call back there some day.

And that was it. back on the ferry Friday afternoon and then the Drive from Rosslare to Cork, arrived home wrecked at 11 o clock.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:38 pm

sounds like you had great fun :-)

glad you enjoyed the electric mountain - if you're over this way again I'll try and get you on a canal boat at Bradford on Avon (my mum skippers the trip boat and her partner's nb is moored in Pewsey).

Jim King

GeoffTE
RSSOC Member

Post by GeoffTE » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:29 pm

That takes me back, Joe, we lived just outside Beaumaris for over 7 years in the late 70s early 80s so we know the area well. Used to race yachts in the Menai Strait and out past Penmon light. We still go back every year as we have very good friends who still live there. Happy happy days :D

Geoff. (5324)
SE5 (SAR), Lotus Elise S2, ( now sold :-( ), 1965 Lotus Elan S2, Ford Kuga 2 AWD
The older I get the better I was!

JoeySully

Post by JoeySully » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:26 am

scimjim wrote:sounds like you had great fun :-)

glad you enjoyed the electric mountain - if you're over this way again I'll try and get you on a canal boat at Bradford on Avon (my mum skippers the trip boat and her partner's nb is moored in Pewsey).

yeah It was a good holiday, Thank for the offer Jim, We were thinking it might be nice to take a holiday on a canal boat.

DarrylWebb

Post by DarrylWebb » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Nice one, Joe. You just can't beat a touring holiday for a load of memories.

Scimega: Project X30XE Pro-Touring Scimitar

Return to “Camping & Caravanning Info & Sites”