Challenging choke

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

ard126k

Challenging choke

Post by ard126k » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:41 pm

Afternoon All
I'm having trouble with the autochoke on the GTC. It doesn't seem to be closing the choke flaps far enough, so that the engine isn't getting a rich enough mixture. This means that the revs die away until the antistall kicks in, then go up again. Makes for tricky manouevering in the garage! Sometimes it will backfire when the revs die.
On the Webers I've been involved with in the past (on Essexes) there's an adjustment for how far the choke flaps close, but this one's different. The black piston thingy pushes on the curved arm to hold the choke closed against the airflow, but it doesn't seem to be strong enough and so the choke opens. I can make things slightly better by turning the water chamber but that's treating the symptom not the cause, innit?
I can't be very specific about the carb other than it says Weber on the top, it doesn't have any ID where I'd expect. Could this be one of the nasty Chinese copies?

All your thoughts welcome

Alex.
Attachments
IMG_1345.JPG
IMG_1345.JPG (131.49 KiB) Viewed 336 times

1971 SE5 1977 SE6 1982 GTC

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Challenging choke

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:55 pm

Turning the water chamber is the adjustment.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

ard126k

Challenging choke

Post by ard126k » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Gee I'm cleverer than I thought!

turning it a/c has helped but it's still not quite right. Time for the lid off and blow through some jets I think.

1971 SE5 1977 SE6 1982 GTC

Return to “General Technical Discussion”