Alloy Timing Wheel fitted

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Brucky
RSSOC Member

Post by Brucky » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:53 am

My engine was fitted with a new fibre wheel. When I spoke with the person that rebuilt the engine he considered them a service item! So yesterday a new alloy one was fitted which I got from QRG. It makes a right racket on startup :lol: We tried to do it without removing the sump, but what an awkward bar-steward, we just couldn't get it to seat right, and the sump had to come off.
Attachments
20190308_115131_resized_1.jpg
20190308_115131_resized_1.jpg (190.07 KiB) Viewed 349 times
20190311_121002_resized.jpg
20190311_121002_resized.jpg (156.34 KiB) Viewed 349 times
20190311_095353_resized (002).jpg
20190311_095353_resized (002).jpg (139.32 KiB) Viewed 349 times

Captain Beke
RSSOC Member

Post by Captain Beke » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:03 am

I am about to change mine ,but have to wait till the weather improves as I work in the street,
Is this a one man job ?
How long will it take me ?
Do I need any special tools to get to my old one off ?
Going to do an oil change as well so may as well drop the sump and clean any crap out
Thanks Richard

1979 Red GTE 6A, Manual, overdrive, manual steering, power windows

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Post by Rev Light » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:17 am

For the noise issue, if indeed it is an issue:

Are you using a manual fuel pump?

If you are, then the pump lever might be touching the back of the timing wheel. I had this issue on mine as the pump had a lever was a folder over steel assembly and was too wide.

It was an awful racket though, and obviously wrong, plus creating alloy filings. A new pump with a thinner cast alloy lever resolved this issue.

My alloy timing wheel is actually quite quiet in operation.

Steve H

SE5a 'Fancier'

Brucky
RSSOC Member

Post by Brucky » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 am

Hi Richard,

It is a one man job. I did it with my mechanic as I wanted to learn about my car. It took us (me) about 6hrs but I took my time. I had to remove a few bracing struts/cross members on the Coupe to get decent access. We put a puller into the two opposing holes on the fibre wheel and wound the old fibre wheel off slowly. My engine only has 1000 miles on it so things came apart fairly easily. Taking the sump off also gave me a chance to see a bit of the engine after its recent rebuild, and only speaking personally I wish I had taken the sump off from the get-go as its fiddly. I know for certain that I have a good gasket seals, and no potential future leaks :w . I had a four post lift which made life easy, I am to old and fat to get under the car. A few step-by-step threads are on the site if you do a quick search, which I followed.

Brucky
RSSOC Member

Post by Brucky » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:32 am

Rev Light wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:17 am
For the noise issue, if indeed it is an issue:

Are you using a manual fuel pump?

If you are, then the pump lever might be touching the back of the timing wheel. I had this issue on mine as the pump had a lever was a folder over steel assembly and was too wide.

It was an awful racket though, and obviously wrong, plus creating alloy filings. A new pump with a thinner cast alloy lever resolved this issue.

My alloy timing wheel is actually quite quiet in operation.

Steve H
Hi Steve,

Its not a manual pump, but thanks for the heads up. I ran the car for 5 min, and it did start to quiet down in that short time. I think it will take a little while to bed in 200 Miles? ish.

halfpenny

Post by halfpenny » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:40 pm

I fitted an alloy timing gear and matching steel crank gear 2000 miles ago. It whined to start with, not too unpleasantly, but is now quiet. An easy one man job to change both gears, and I changed the water pump at the same time

scimitargtc
RSSOC Member

Post by scimitargtc » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Steel timing wheel fitted no noise came with 2 slim bolts that act as a pullerto extract it if need be (I’ve swapped it twice now onto replacement engines with no dramas, easy diy job

1979 se6a auto pas 3.0v6
1998 Range Rover 4.6 v8 auto
2006 fiat Punto 1.2 feb19 scrapped :(
2016 Nissan QashQai 1.6 tekna CVT dci

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:46 pm

It's certainly a one person job. You may get away without dropping the sump, I've done two, once I had to drop the sump, once I didn't. But bear in mind that if you do remove the sump, it's a much easier job than on many cars, as it's a flat joint face and there are few obstructions (eg. no crossmembers), in the way.

Don't be tempted to knock the new wheel onto the camshaft nose with a mallet, use the bolt to wind it on (otherwise you may knock-out the core plug at the back of the block, and turn it into an engine-out job)

My alloy one made a slight noise on first running, but after 100 miles or so it was silent. My steel one was noisy when first fitted, and though quieter, is still noisy after several tens of thousands of miles of vigorous use. I think there's an element of luck with steel ones.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Captain Beke
RSSOC Member

Post by Captain Beke » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Thanks Roger for your advice , have been reading up about not using a mallet :D well not for this operation at least , will I need a puller to get the old one off ?

1979 Red GTE 6A, Manual, overdrive, manual steering, power windows

JoeySully

Post by JoeySully » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:04 pm

I had heard people say the timing wheel made an awful racket so when i started mine and heard this

this is the sound of the manual pump rubbing on the timing gear

Return to “General Technical Discussion”