Fuel gauge sender for stainless fuel tank?

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

larrylamb11

Post by larrylamb11 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Investigating a non working fuel gauge has revealed a non-working sender unit in the fuel tank..... The sender is in a bad way..... it looks like it went down with the Titanic it's so crusty! even the float has holed itself and sunk...

It's going to be a lot easier to replace it, but the tank is stainless steel and looking at the pictures in the parts book and online, it doesn't look like the sender is the same as a standard non-stainless tank? The sender I have fitted has the number TBS1514/002 stamped on it, but I can't find a reference to that online - the closest is a Smiths TBS1514/003 intended for a Triumph Herald / Vitesse and the pictures of the unit look very similar to what I had fitted.
Is there a well trodden path for senders in stainless tanks? The one on mine was held in by a large hexagonal washer which fitted over the top of the outside of the unit and secured to the tank using 6 small screws secured into captive inserts in the tank.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Those have cropped-up on here before! :( There does seem to be one variety of stainless tank which uses that hexagonal washer, which doesn't seem to be as stainless as the rest of the thing, and does go crusty. I can't remember for certain, but I think the actual sender was the same, it was just a different fixing method. The other posts on here may hold the answer - worth a search I think?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:28 pm

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

larrylamb11

Post by larrylamb11 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Ooh, excellent links, thank you - I'll have a read....

Return to “General Technical Discussion”