Worrying Wear On Distributor Drive

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:50 pm

In no particular order :w

The Skew gear on the dizzy is machined from cast iron and is not hardened.
The drive teeth on the camshaft is Case Hardened and "Parkerised" so is harder than the dizzy gear.
The Dizzy can only put extra pressure on its skew gear teeth if either the Oil pump drive is tight ( the camshaft drives the dizzy which drives the oilpump ), OR the dizzy shaft is tight.

Using a lower grade of oil WILL NOT EFFECT THE DIZZY SKEW DRIVE, the engine will have seized by now.

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:09 pm

Just a reminder that I use , and get a club bulk order discount on Synionic AFMT (Anti Friction Metal Treatment). It has been independently proven to be the slipperiest oil in its own right (MIRA confirmed also). You add it at a ratio of 10% by volume to your own choice of oil at first oil change then 5% thereafter. It is ionically attracted to metal so does not drain off the surface once distributed around (so can leave engine etc. standing unused for a long time and it stays put). Film strength is 220,000 psi. compared with a fully synthetic oil of 5,000 psi and mineral 4,000 psi. So would take lots of pressure to allow metal/metal contact. It also will migrate towards heat and withstands heat so great for turbos. (mineral and synthetic get broken down and thinner)
I have been using it for thousands of miles in my GTC and before that in my previous GTE and also in my Skoda Yeti. Good for engine/gearbox/overdrive/axle/steering. It pays for itself in fuel savings alone within a few hundred miles let alone in saving wear of metal parts and you end up with much smoother running.

Dennis

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:40 pm

I turns out the article was originally in a Southern Classics Society, so I've contacted them seeking permission to reproduce it in Slice.
It states that Halfords Classic oil doesn't contain enough zinc to protect the wearing surfaces, 800 ppm instead of 1200 ppm minimum. Dennis's AFMT additive has certainly been validated, but additives are a separate subject altogether and I bow to his superior knowledge.

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

Return to “General Technical Discussion”