Coupe engine queries

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Coupe engine queries

Post by philhoward » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:05 pm

roymck wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:14 pm
Trying to determine what engine is fitted in the Coupe , I think we agree that the inlet manifold is D port so hopefully the heads are too. Looking at the block on the drivers side just above the sump line there is a triangular depression on the casting, rubbing my finger over this I can feel a hole so I guess this is the old dipstick guide tube hole . I am hoping this means the engine is a later engine converted to front sump . Question is if it’s a early engine would it not have the depression on the casting as at that time there was no such thing as a rear sump engine , so it must be a later engine converted from rear sump to front sump .
Pretty sure that the lack of depression means only that it’s not a VERY early Essex (with the lower running pressure, different oil pump and differing cam followers)?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

roymck
RSSOC Member

Coupe engine queries

Post by roymck » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Coupe Racing wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:48 pm
Whats the casting number on the block and the engine number stamped at the rear
Looked at the engine number and tried to cross reference against numbers on the Burtons site but does not tally up . It is just a stamped number , no letters . My guess is that it’s a rebuilt recon engine and the number has been ground off and a new number stamped on.
As regards casting number where is that to be found?

Return to “General Technical Discussion”