Carb service.

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

chips01

Carb service.

Post by chips01 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Have a Weber 38 DGAS carb fitted to a 1977 SE6A which has been stood for 18 years and obviously in need of a good service and I have a number of questions from those in the know.

Are there any mods or changes you would make to improve the standard carb.

Would you suggest sending to professional refurb Company or is this service OK for a competent mikinic ?

Is there a better off the shelf replacement, rest of the engine is standard ?

Many thanks to you all,

Keith

demonbluedays

Carb service.

Post by demonbluedays » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Fastroadcars for the service kit, I'd never done one before my first GTE but it's not as complicated as it looks :wink:

Tom "DemonBlueDays" Williams

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

1979 Se6a Manual Overdrive "Link"

Formerly RSSOC #3185 - Must renew eventually....

chips01

Carb service.

Post by chips01 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Well thanks for that. I have been told that a professional carb service could cost £175.

demonbluedays

Carb service.

Post by demonbluedays » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Fastroadcars sell the service kit for £26.47 which ok you have to do it yourself but still cheaper than paying someone else to do it, and even then it may still need tweeking to the car once its back on

Tom "DemonBlueDays" Williams

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

1979 Se6a Manual Overdrive "Link"

Formerly RSSOC #3185 - Must renew eventually....

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Carb service.

Post by peter freeman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Check that the fuel input pipe is pinned into the carb - the pipe coming out is the cause of many a Scim or other weber carb'd cars catching fire

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Carb service.

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Also an old carburettor will have worn throttle spindle holes. No amount of "repair kit" will sort that out. Many of my customers who buy new ones from me, have already tried a magic rebuild kit!

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

chips01

Carb service.

Post by chips01 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:06 pm

Many thanks for your input, much appreciated.

It was interesting to note that nobody suggested modifications to the existing carb which indicates that it is a good carb.

The mention of the fuel pipe being secured was worrying as both ends of the fuel feed pipe were standard fuel pipe just pushed on without any fitments and can be slid off with light pressure.

I understand the wear considerations but she has done very low mileage and has been parked up for so long that I would hope that a service kit will be sufficient.

Many thanks to you all,

Keith

Scimher

Carb service.

Post by Scimher » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:08 pm

peter freeman wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:34 pm
Check that the fuel input pipe is pinned into the carb - the pipe coming out is the cause of many a Scim or other weber carb'd cars catching fire
Was that not just a problem on the early cars, Peter? Did it afflict the 38DGAS & 40DFAV - or just the early carb.....??

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Carb service.

Post by philhoward » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:14 pm

The issue with the pipes coming out is the brass tubes becoming loose in the alloy..

Scimher - I think it affected all carbs of that era. To be honest I don’t know what changed that means they were no longer an issue - a change to the aluminium alloy mix to reduce thermal expansion maybe?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

another newbie

Carb service.

Post by another newbie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:34 pm

I've been stripping my Weber 38DGMS and it is as Tom said quite straight forward to do. It's actually quite therapeutic pulling it apart and seeing how it all goes together with all the jets and valves.

The only difficulty i've had is getting the screws out that hold the butterfly valves to the shafts, they are being very stubborn and are requiring an extra ordinary amount of careful force to remove them.

I have attached a copy of a step by step stripdown that was in Classic Ford magazine which might help you.
Attachments
classic-ford-weber-dgv-rebuild-instructions.pdf
Carb rebuild
(472.73 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

Alex

1972 Se5A
1973 MGB GT

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Carb service.

Post by peter freeman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:37 pm

II bought a new carb a few years ago and it was not pinned - I sent it back to weber as the input pipe was coming loose they put threaded pipe in it -they said they did not know about pipes coming out being a problem - I sent them the notification - it was a spanish weber not from china. I very much doubt if any new webers are pinned - AJ ???

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Carb service.

Post by David Tew » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:00 pm

AJL Electronics wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:35 pm
Also an old carburettor will have worn throttle spindle holes.
They'll probably also have worn sync gears, although these are available as spares from Eurocarbs (check the members' pages for a discount).

The spindles on a DGAS can be repaired using a bearing kit which you can find on eBay. The DFAV had bearings directly machined in the casing and can't be repaired.

I pinned the brass fuel pipe by drilling a tiny hole through the casing into the pipe and using an even smaller self-tapper.

It all depends on how much fiddly work you're prepared to do. If you do buy a new carb ensure it is genuine and not a Chinese clone.

SE4B Coupe - completely rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
RSSOC member since 1978. 😲
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes…including you.

Return to “General Technical Discussion”