Anyone Know Anything About Differentials?

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Mr Bridger

Post by Mr Bridger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:20 pm

OK, so I think I know the answer to this one, and it's not going to be cheap, but.... my 5a has started clunking from the back when power is put on/off. I've checked the UJs on the prop shaft for play and they are fine. The backlash between when the diff input flange is moved and when one of the rear wheels starts to move is not excessive, but not great either - I think. But while I can do most things on a classic I know very little about diffs.

The diff does whine a little, but only with power on and between about 32 - 42mph, apart from that it's quiet.

So having admitted I'm clueless, any ideas where I should be looking/the likelihood of me being able to fix it?

Thanks

1975 SE5a - Daily Driver
1970 Triumph Vitesse
1972 VW Camper Van
1965 Sunbeam Tiger

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:45 pm

Check there is oil in it , check the pinion nut is secure then leave it alone

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Post by BigBobPilot » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Have you checked all the trailing arm & Watts linkage bushes? That would be my first candidate for clunking, follwed by damper bushes and/or dampers themselves.

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car in build
Latest owner of V6 coupe SRE 353G
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Another vote for trailing arm bushes - they make an awful noise when they get sloppy. When one of mine started to fail, it sounded like the axle wanted to come through the floor!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:30 pm

I still have a few ORIGINAL Metalastic bushes left from when I had BRT remake them for me.

Everyone seems to talk about the polyurethane replacements but I have yet to drive a car with those fitted.

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Mr Bridger

Post by Mr Bridger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:23 pm

Well, I got all excited there for a minute. I started leavering things around and found that Watts linkage bracket was very loose on the diff. So I tightened the four bolts up, put the wheels back on confident of success and when I let the clutch up.... clunk. :evil:
I did have a fair old go at pushing, pulling and twisting the trailing arms about and they seemed pretty firm, but over the weekend I think I’d best remove them for a better look. Thanks for the suggestions by the way. They’re all better than a knackered diff as I had feared.

Right, if I’m quick I might just catch last orders. :P

1975 SE5a - Daily Driver
1970 Triumph Vitesse
1972 VW Camper Van
1965 Sunbeam Tiger

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Post by Rev Light » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:42 am

Please let us know how you get on.

I also am in possession of a 'clunk' from the rear.

Steve

SE5a 'Fancier'

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:54 am

Dear All
Congratulations on hearing your clunk, your car is now among those rare possessions that are valued beyond their actual worth. The noise you heard is it's depreciation bottoming out, ricocheting upward towards its owners sublime smugness. It is the focused object of every driver of a modern vehicle to attain their own clunk but takes decades of care, determination and skill unknown to the present generation. Cherish it, be warm in its presence, enjoy its reassuring repetition and subtlety.

Ps, I'm not one for bragging but I've had mine fer ages. I've checked all the above and further up the transmission too but found nowt that stops me fra' raggin' the nuts orf it round sprint tracks. Corse I've still got that uneasy feelin' that summuts gona go bang bigly!
Best ignore it then?

toolmanchris
RSSOC Member

Post by toolmanchris » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 am

b.c.flat hat wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:54 am
Dear All
Congratulations on hearing your clunk, your car is now among those rare possessions that are valued beyond their actual worth. The noise you heard is it's depreciation bottoming out, ricocheting upward towards its owners sublime smugness. It is the focused object of every driver of a modern vehicle to attain their own clunk but takes decades of care, determination and skill unknown to the present generation. Cherish it, be warm in its presence, enjoy its reassuring repetition and subtlety.

Ps, I'm not one for bragging but I've had mine fer ages. I've checked all the above and further up the transmission too but found nowt that stops me fra' raggin' the nuts orf it round sprint tracks. Corse I've still got that uneasy feelin' that summuts gona go bang bigly!
Best ignore it then?
Oh the clunk - yes they all have that sir comes as standard across the range at no extra cost :-D

Chris Barker
http://www.toolmanweb.com
RSSOC: 4125

Yellow SE5a - currently undergoing restoration
Seat Leon FR - daily driver
Silver Hyundai SantaFe 2.2 - for pulling the caravan

mark rudder
RSSOC Member

Post by mark rudder » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:25 am

Hi all. Mark from downunder here.
I can one up that, I've a clunk & a whine, After a rebuild!

Mark from down under.
Current GTE 6B, Dolomite Sprint, Scirocco R. Past XJS (manual), V12 E-type (manual, convertible, lovely) 350 chev XJ6, TR6, TR4, Sprite, Midget, local Ford V8s, others... There's a pattern here.….

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:28 am

The Classic answer is to turn up the radio.................... If all is secure, and there is oil, I would leave it alone.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

Return to “General Technical Discussion”