My SE6a Over Heating Cure

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Ian Lock

Post by Ian Lock » Tue May 01, 2018 12:20 pm

I have Cured my GTE SE6a Over Heating Problem by fitting an Adjustable Heat Control Unit. I find it good because it keeps the Rad Fan running even when the Engine is Switched off to cool the Rad down . It still uses the Otta Switch to run the Fan if the Fuse Blows as back up. You can set it to what ever Temperature you like for the Winter or Summer . ( see photo )
Attachments
P1020240.JPG
P1020240.JPG (114.8 KiB) Viewed 1426 times

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Tue May 01, 2018 1:07 pm

It’s cooling the rad but not the hot engine unless you fit an electric water pump to circulate the coolant

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Ian Lock

Post by Ian Lock » Tue May 01, 2018 1:25 pm

Yes your not Cooling all the Engine but I found that most of the Coolant was pumped out when I turned the Engine off so at lease for £40 I have helped to stop that.

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Tue May 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Is the expansion bottle filled to the correct level with a cold engine and is the sealing face for the pressure cap in good condition

Ian Lock

Post by Ian Lock » Tue May 01, 2018 2:54 pm

Yes the bottle is filled to the mark that is on it and the sealing face is good with a new thermostat in it which has been tested to start opening at 88 and fully
open at 90 degrees.

simmit
RSSOC Member

Post by simmit » Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 pm

I fitted manual override switch (which can operate with ignition off) and usual routine on shut down is to set fan running for few minutes then restart engine for a moment or two to circulate coolant. You will see the engine temp. gauge drop noticeably.

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Sat May 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Ian. Sorry but you have not cured the overheating problem.......maybe the symptom: but as Jim says "cure the problem not the symptom"
SE6as in standard form do not overheat if maintained. If it does then there is a fault somewhere that needs fixing.
Radiator silted up; heater rad blocked up; head gasket(s) blowing; thermostat - wrong type, wrong temp, stuck closed; modified cooling system wrongly modified; block badly silted; water pump not working...rusted out cheep pressed steel impellers;.

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

Ian Lock

Post by Ian Lock » Sat May 05, 2018 4:36 pm

When I fitted this I also fitted a new otta switch so had the rad out and flushed it out , head is fine no milk in water , thermostat new and tested for temp, ( opens fine ). Why fit a manual switch as Simmit said you have to stand around with fan running then turn it off . This dose that for you and turns itself off . Jim is wrong this time I have cured my problem and the symptom.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat May 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Jim is wrong this time I have cured my problem and the symptom.
Nope; you’ve managed to mask the problem that it can’t hold pressure when the temperature rises when you turn off a hot engine.

If you think you’ve fixed it, then fine.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Sat May 05, 2018 6:09 pm

If the expansion bottle is overfilled at cold then coolant will always eject when hot

If the level is right then there is a problem

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Sun May 06, 2018 9:16 am

Ian. When I bought my 6a it had a slight leak from the pump and also pumped out water from the expansion tank. A new pump cured part of the problem. The thermostat not only has to open and close at the correct temperature but must be the correct type and seat properly and preferably have the small vent hole, usually with a small split pin in it. The main problem was the pressure cap. A new one purchased from a local parts supplier for Essex engine DID NOT FIT PROPERLY. The rubber seal that seals on the top was ok but the seal at the bottom did not quite reach the face which was also a bit pitted. Careful measurement with the depth part of a measuring calliper helped show this up (and an extra sealing rubber ring temporarily put in place proved the problem by curing it.) A new correctly fitting 13 psi cap and cleaning up of the face at the bottom of the casting finally cured the problem. The car continued to run well with no overheating problems for many years till I sold it after I got the GTC.
You may not see milky in the water even with head leak. There is a chemical water test that most garages can quickly do which detects gases in the water if heads bad.
Reading back I am still not quite sure of the DETAILS that lead you to say OVERHEATING PROBLEM.
My GTC runs just under 90 deg and when I get home I have a run up my farm track slowly in first uphill and the fan usually cuts in as I get to the garage...sometimes I will stop the engine then turn ignition on to let the fan cool things down then sometimes start up to pump the cooler water round.....but sometimes not bothered. The car has been running thus for several years....I know it is slightly different as it is a Cologne engine.

Hoping you manage to solve whatever is problematical.
I would also say Jim is not wrong :) If I remember, Jim is an aircraft engineer and when lives are at stake one can't afford to be wrong on simple matters. :wink:

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

Ian Lock

Post by Ian Lock » Sun May 06, 2018 11:25 am

Perhaps I did wrong by calling it the title of My SE6a Over Heating Cure and just called it my Fan Adjustable Aid just to help others to keep there rad temp lower if they wish to in summer if the Otta switch fails . You are telling me things I already know as I am a 67 year old retired Automotive Electrical Mechanical Pneumatic Design Engineer that is probably the only person on here that ever visited Reliant's in Tamworth to discuss with the design team torque units and rotary tools both electric and air which I did do in 1975, when most people on here were still at school. This is was what made me buy a brand new Scimitar in 1979 at the age of 28. Aircraft engineers have nothing to do with cars.

rebel alliance

Post by rebel alliance » Sun May 06, 2018 11:33 am

Otter 😊

rebel alliance

Post by rebel alliance » Sun May 06, 2018 11:42 am

Oh nearly forgot , Bristol Cars 😆

rebel alliance

Post by rebel alliance » Sun May 06, 2018 11:47 am

And lets not forget Hispano-suisa 😂