Not one of my better moves

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

myredscimitar
RSSOC Member

Not one of my better moves

Post by myredscimitar » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:18 pm

It's been a bit cold the last couple of nights, so I thought I'd best check / top up the anti freeze in my SS1s.

So, unclipped a hose, dumped some coolant, reclipped hose, added anti freeze to header, topped up with water. So far, so good.

Then I took out the head vent plug to vent the head, still all OK.

Lots of air came out as usual, then coolant, went to refit the plug with cold, wet hands .... dropped it :oops: :oops:

So now I have my thumb over the vent hole and the vent plug lodged in the engine mount where I can't get my free hand to it.

No one around to call for assistance, cue a bit of wriggling and stretching to reach a screwdriver, use that to dislodge the vent plug. Now it's on the ground under the car.

So, thumb off vent hole, quickly drop down to retrieve plug while being showered in escaping coolant. Refit plug.

Coolant topped up again and vented again now.

1600 CVH SS1 1988
1400 CVH SS1 1987
Previous GTE 6b 1983
RSSOC 5432
The Scimitar SS1 is not so much a car as a lifestyle statement; it basically says "I'm mad, and I don't care".

steve bryant

Re: Not one of my better moves

Post by steve bryant » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:28 pm

did the same, :oops: but when i put the h/tank cap back on it created a vacuum and the flow stopped

myredscimitar
RSSOC Member

Post by myredscimitar » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:53 pm

steve bryant wrote:did the same, :oops: but when i put the h/tank cap back on it created a vacuum and the flow stopped

Bugger, why didn't I think of that!!

1600 CVH SS1 1988
1400 CVH SS1 1987
Previous GTE 6b 1983
RSSOC 5432
The Scimitar SS1 is not so much a car as a lifestyle statement; it basically says "I'm mad, and I don't care".

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:21 pm

I've drained coolant to replace and splashed new stuff in there, unaware the drain plug for the rad was on the bench...only when feet got wet did I twig! Having said that garage floor didn't freeze up :lol:

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:49 am

Reminds me in a way of this 'accident report' of which there are many variations.

I am writing in response to your request for additional information for block number 3 of the accident reporting form. I put 'poor planning' as the cause of my accident.

You said in your letter that I should explain more fully and I trust the following detail will be sufficient.

I am an amateur radio operator and on the day of the accident, I was working alone on the top section of my new 80 foot tower.
When I had completed my work I discovered that I had, over the course of several trips up the tower, brought up about 300 pounds of tools and spare hardware.

Rather than carry the now surplus tools and material down by hand, I decided to lower the items down in a small barrel by using a pulley, which was fortunately attached to the gin pole at the top of the tower.

Securing the rope at ground level, I went to the top of the tower and loaded the tools and material into the barrel. Then I went back to the ground and untied the rope, holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the 300 pounds of tools.

You will note in block number 11 of the accident reporting form that I weigh only 155 pounds. Due to my surprise of being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rather rapid rate of speed up the side of the tower. In the vicinity of the 40 foot level, I met the barrel coming down. This explains my fractured skull and broken collarbone.
Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley.

Fortunately, by this time, I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold onto the rope in spite of my pain. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of tools hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Devoid of the weight of the tools, the barrel now weighed approximately 20 pounds. I refer you again to my weight in block number 11.

As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the tower. In the vicinity of the 40 foot level I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, and the lacerations of my legs and lower body.

The encounter with the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell onto the pile of tools and, fortunately, only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay there on the tools, in pain, unable to stand and watching the empty barrel 80 feet above me, I again lost my presence of mind. I let go of the rope . . .

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door, Alfa Romeo GTV twinny
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If things are going well with the rebuild you've missed a part out

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:45 am

ScimmyMike wrote:Reminds me in a way of this 'accident report' of which there are many variations.
Including this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZUJLO6lMhI

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:13 am

If you can find the original by Gerald Hofnung at the Oxford Union it is brilliant........

My favourite is a friend of mine who failed to tighten the oil filter after an oil change and went down the road with a loooooooooooong trail!

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:50 pm

Nick wrote:If you can find the original by Gerard Hoffnung at the Oxford Union it is brilliant........
Here tiz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOGfg1B3ZMw

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

steve bryant

Post by steve bryant » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:59 pm

My favourite is a friend of mine who failed to tighten the oil filter after an oil change and went down the road with a loooooooooooong trail![/quote]
been there done that with a magurus duetz air cooled V6, IT HAD FOUR SUMP PLUGS, i had tightened three of them :oops: luckily i was being followed down the road by my junior, i think it was 30 ltrs

Return to “General Technical Discussion”