New Chassis

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

mermar74

New Chassis

Post by mermar74 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:18 pm

I am curious to know if anyone (apart from Reliant and myself) has ever made new replacement chassis for the Scimitar range. I have read of Coupes having had new chassis fitted, but never any mention as to who made it.

Victor Pace

toomanysabres
RIP

Re: New Chassis

Post by toomanysabres » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:02 pm

I'm sure Iain Daniels has for a Sabre Six and probably Chris Lloyd for a Coupe years ago.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

AllingtonGT
RSSOC Member

Post by AllingtonGT » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi Victor,
I believe Iain's last major repair job to a Coupe chassis was about three years ago to a yet to be completed race car I have in the barn. The repair panels were cut and formed by a chap who used to undertake it for Reliant from his original patterns. Unfortunately he has now retired, closed his business and that route for chassis parts has been lost.

I retrieved a Coupe body and chassis from near St Andrews in Scotland. The chassis is perfect and looks to be have been repaired at Chris Lloyd's as it has improvements to the trailing arm mounts. Ironically Iain was probably involved in fixing the chassis when he worked with Chris but that is now quite some time ago. The chassis is similar to the one under my red sprint Coupe which also underwent repair at Chris Lloyd's.

mermar74

Post by mermar74 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:33 am

I have yet to find positive proof that in the past someone has made a new complete Scimitar replacement chassis from scratch (not a repaired original); especially for a Coupe.

Can anyone shed more light on this ?

Victor Pace

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:45 am

I recall Chris Lloyd (Scimitar Services) had made Coupe chassis from scratch - given Chris is no longer with us, only Iain Daniels (or possibly John Louch) will know for sure. It could have been heavily reconstructed originals though.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:04 am

Highly unlikely anyone has made a complete chassis from scratch and even less likely that anyone will admit to having a replacement chassis under their car given the current climate here in UK (as I've already pointed out). I know of one made for a GTE with a v8 and Jag suspension all round but it was broken up.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

David Tew
RSSOC Member

New Chassis

Post by David Tew » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:06 pm

I know this is an old thread but I came across it on a recent forum search. I don't think Victor's question was ever fully answered so here is what I know.

Iain Daniels did make brand new Coupe chassis when he worked with Chris Lloyd around 1999/2000. They were made completely from scratch with new pressings and no original sections at all. I have one under my Coupe, modified by Iain for me with strengthened 4HA axle mounts and SE5 front suspension mountings. These chassis had several improvements over the original with most of the original weak-points improved. For example, the outriggers are made from solid steel plate rather than two thin pressings back to back and it is fully rust-proofed, of course. It is nice knowing that the chassis doesn't have any corrosion issues, I just need to finish a few small jobs on the rebuild, which stuttered for a while when I had a job-change.

I spoke to Iain about these chassis a few months ago at Prescott and he thinks he made about 5, a couple being modified for competition. He commented that it would be impossible to make any more, not only because he can no longer get the pressings (as Geoff suggests), but also because they take at least 80-hours of work and would not be financially feasible.

When I originally spoke to Chris Lloyd to order the chassis he told me that he got the idea when he found a big, thick flat sheet of steel at Barns Heath Farm and thought it would make a good jig. Like most things Chris undertook, progress was initially slow and it was only when I dealt directly with Iain that things got moving. The subsequent workmanship is exceptional, as you would expect from Iain. When I mentioned the chassis to Don Pither at the time he openly admired Chris' and Iain's perserverance in getting the project going, which is praise indeed.

Jim is absolutely correct in suggesting that, until recently, no-one would own up to having a new chassis. However, now the rules have changed I've changed my signature from "refurbished chassis" to "brand-new chassis". :wink:

Anyway, I hope this is helpful. It would be interesting to know where the other 4 chassis are.

mermar74

New Chassis

Post by mermar74 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:17 am

David Tew wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:06 pm
I know this is an old thread but I came across it on a recent forum search. I don't think Victor's question was ever fully answered so here is what I know.

Iain Daniels did make brand new Coupe chassis when he worked with Chris Lloyd around 1999/2000. They were made completely from scratch with new pressings and no original sections at all. I have one under my Coupe, modified by Iain for me with strengthened 4HA axle mounts and SE5 front suspension mountings. These chassis had several improvements over the original with most of the original weak-points improved. For example, the outriggers are made from solid steel plate rather than two thin pressings back to back and it is fully rust-proofed, of course. It is nice knowing that the chassis doesn't have any corrosion issues, I just need to finish a few small jobs on the rebuild, which stuttered for a while when I had a job-change.

I spoke to Iain about these chassis a few months ago at Prescott and he thinks he made about 5, a couple being modified for competition. He commented that it would be impossible to make any more, not only because he can no longer get the pressings (as Geoff suggests), but also because they take at least 80-hours of work and would not be financially feasible.

When I originally spoke to Chris Lloyd to order the chassis he told me that he got the idea when he found a big, thick flat sheet of steel at Barns Heath Farm and thought it would make a good jig. Like most things Chris undertook, progress was initially slow and it was only when I dealt directly with Iain that things got moving. The subsequent workmanship is exceptional, as you would expect from Iain. When I mentioned the chassis to Don Pither at the time he openly admired Chris' and Iain's perserverance in getting the project going, which is praise indeed.

Jim is absolutely correct in suggesting that, until recently, no-one would own up to having a new chassis. However, now the rules have changed I've changed my signature from "refurbished chassis" to "brand-new chassis". :wink:

Anyway, I hope this is helpful. It would be interesting to know where the other 4 chassis are.

Hi David,

Thanks for this information.

So it seems other new chassis have been built outside the factory. I used my old chassis for reference as it is all I had at the time. I first made a jig for the new chassis (no easy feat) and continued on from there. I found the use of a purpose made jig to be the only proper way of making a new chassis, as not only does it position all sections in the right place, it also minimises warpage from all of the welding required. As well the jig helps with setting up the front suspension towers for correct suspension alignment; I cannot think how this could be done otherwise.
I would be interested to know if others built a jig for this purpose.

During construction I drew up all the steel sections as I needed them, and then had the steel cut and folded at a sheet metal company? As it turned out, I obtained a factory drawing of the Coupe chassis only after I had already made the chassis much to my annoyance.
All turned out well in the end and I am most pleased and proud of the results, although it took me a great deal more time than 80 hours.

Victor Pace
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (331.37 KiB) Viewed 393 times

David Tew
RSSOC Member

New Chassis

Post by David Tew » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:03 am

Victor, you have my admiration for what you achieved. It's far beyond anything I would be capable of.

I like the way you've created a new outrigger setup. It's much stronger than the original, even when modified as on mine. Also, the triangulation of the suspension towers should stiffen things considerably.

One question, have you closed the bottom of the front and rear outriggers? There appears to be quite a gap which will cause the top to try and take on a bow as weight is placed on the outside edge. That said, the middle outriggers will add considerable support so perhaps this is enough.

Regarding the jig for the front suspension towers. I think Iain must have used one as the original cross-member dropped straight into place.

It must give you a lot of pleasure when you see what you've achieved despite the enormous time and effort involved. I presume you won't be making any more though? :lol:

David

SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
RSSOC member since 1978. 😲

mermar74

New Chassis

Post by mermar74 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:14 am

David Tew wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:03 am

One question, have you closed the bottom of the front and rear outriggers? There appears to be quite a gap which will cause the top to try and take on a bow as weight is placed on the outside edge. That said, the middle outriggers will add considerable support so perhaps this is enough.

It must give you a lot of pleasure when you see what you've achieved despite the enormous time and effort involved. I presume you won't be making any more though? :lol:

David

David,

You are correct about the outriggers having a gap at the bottom; this of course is where the exhaust passes through the outriggers. I made these holes open to ease exhaust installation. These bottom of the gaps have been bridged with bolt on plates to regain lost strength in the outriggers and allow easy exhaust removal and installation.

I have no desire to make more new chassis, as even if I wanted to my body will not allow it nowadays. I would be interested in selling the jig though is someone is interested.

Victor Pace
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (206.58 KiB) Viewed 247 times

Return to “General Technical Discussion”