SE6 suspension query

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

stevey

SE6 suspension query

Post by stevey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:45 pm

Ok back from the workshop and this old fool had been trying to fit SE5 parts that he thought were SE6! No fool like an old fool! I have retrieved the SE6 parts from the scrap bin and will refurbish them. I have noted the need to swop the lower wishbone mounts to accept the manual steering. Classic one step forward, two back! But it keeps me out of the pub, mostly!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

SE6 suspension query

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Geraint SabreGTCse5 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:11 pm
just to throw it out there. I have recently assisted changing the front bushes on a one family early manual steering se6, it was fitted with lower chassis's mounts with the two studs (which fit through the chassis) in a central position as per 5a.......... it was just rebuilt as was and is working fine.
Geraint, if we take this note at face value then it's a bit worrying, as it suggests that the owners have failed to act on the safety advisory that Reliant issued in July 1989 recommending the replacement of earlier type brackets with later ones.

In fact my earlier photo illustrating the offset, handed, 6-series bracket, was of one of the early type (still offset) which I took off my car (the mulberry Se6a) then, in order to replace with the later type as per your photograph above.

The Reliant letter explained the difference in use of the brackets between manual and PAS cars.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

SE6 suspension query

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:28 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:19 pm
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:11 pm
just to throw it out there. I have recently assisted changing the front bushes on a one family early manual steering se6, it was fitted with lower chassis's mounts with the two studs (which fit through the chassis) in a central position as per 5a.......... it was just rebuilt as was and is working fine.
Geraint, if we take this note at face value then it's a bit worrying, as it suggests that the owners have failed to act on the safety advisory that Reliant issued in July 1989 recommending the replacement of earlier type brackets with later ones.

In fact my earlier photo illustrating the offset, handed, 6-series bracket, was of one of the early type (still offset) which I took off my car (the mulberry Se6a) then, in order to replace with the later type as per your photograph above.

The Reliant letter explained the difference in use of the brackets between manual and PAS cars.
Roger i did not say they weren't the strengthened brackets (which they were), just that they were the se5 style. I am sure there are plenty of 6's with non reinforced lower brackets....i have a project GTC with them and it was built in '79..... who knows what a previous owner/"mechanics" may have done!

Geraint

Sabre ti, se5, GTC, 6b.......BMW Z3 3.0i

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

SE6 suspension query

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:54 pm

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:28 pm
Roger i did not say they weren't the strengthened brackets (which they were), just that they were the se5 style. I am sure there are plenty of 6's with non reinforced lower brackets....i have a project GTC with them and it was built in '79..... who knows what a previous owner/"mechanics" may have done!
The "strengthened brackets" as referred to in the advisory notice only applied to the Se6-series brackets with the offset bolts. The traders now supply more strongly-made brackets to fit all varieties of GTE, but that doesn't mean you can use any kind, on any model of car.

My mulberry car was also built in 1979 - at that date the older style brackets were still being fitted, the strengthened design only came in during the production of the 6b/GTC, and as I mentioned, it was only in 1989 that Reliant had identified the need for them to be retrofitted, and issued the warning notice.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Return to “General Technical Discussion”